Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

25 touches in three quarters on his return from injury in the VFL
Midfielder Dylan Clarke was a welcome sight at the VFL Bombers’ Friday night curtain-raiser against Geelong.

The young ball-winner made a successful return from an ankle injury sustained in January, getting through a strong amount of game-time.

“It was really pleasing to see him come back in and play his first game for the year,” Murphy said.

“I thought he was outstanding. He actually missed the first quarter under a bit of restriction, playing 75 minutes (for the game).

“But to then be able to come in and have 25 touches over three quarters, it was really impressive to see his output.”

After the incredible amount of development we have seen in players across our list I'm keen to see if he can offer anything in this system with this group.
I don't think he will displace many of our starters currently but would be good depth which we are sorely lacking at the moment.

Clarke very good again in the magoos. Given the hiding we copped from GWS through the guts, give him a call up and play him through the midfield. We could do with a bloke providing a good block that can also rack up the ball.

Problem is when he racks it up he goes at 40% by foot. Solve one issue and create another. We are already having turnover issues.

Problem is when he racks it up he goes at 40% by foot. Solve one issue and create another. We are already having turnover issues.
Tell him to handball at every opportunity.

His last kick in the dying minutes of the VFL game summed him up, instead of down the line to a contest he went too inboard, straight to an unmarked oppo player who then sent it forward to help get them the goal and lead.

Outstanding game in the VFL, broke lines and quite damaging.

Dylan Clarke
Stats: 31 disposals, two marks, five tackles

“Dyl played our midfield and spent quite a bit of time as a forward for us. Some of his transitions up and down the ground were a highlight. He ran through the lines and was quite a damaging player for us. He had an outstanding game.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the time we've invested in him I wouldn't mind giving him some games to see if maybe just maybe he's worth persisting with. Do or die, give him a go.

That last kick was a major downer though, not gonna lie.

I have been a firm critic of his kicking but now he is in I hope he can find a level as other than that he is the type of workhorse midfielder we need.

Happy he's worked his way back into the team. Hope to see him crack in and play like he's got nothing to lose. Wouldn't even mind if its a defensive leaning run with role on Parker or Kennedy.
Kennedy dominated last weekend close to BOG so wouldn't be surprised if he is going to match up on him

Whitfield's game last week shows we could do with a stopper.

Parish has fixed his kicking, hopefully Clarke has had the same coach!

clarke would matter nought against whitfield, we'd just have an extra liability in the forward line. needs to play inside, play physical against kennedy and parker, free-up parish and merrett a wee bit and we could be in business.

Last edited:
Curious to see how this plays out. Given the state of the midfield I would not be against Dyl playing the rest of the season.

We might as well be sure about the de-listing.

The thing about Clarke will always be that so much of his game is genuinely high quality, that's basically his whole game minus the kicking. It's been the source of my frustration watching him for the last 5 years. With a great inside ball winning and defensive game, a genuinely good engine and running power, ability to accumulate and being tough as nails / a prolific tackler the version of him that could kick the ball as well as McGrath (i.e. average AFL standard) has probably got every inside mid on our list covered . But with his kicking being what is has been it's like the circuit is broken and the system just can't work.

To my eye, there are signs his action has improved with less of a throwing of the ball onto the boot. I'd be thrilled to see his kicking hold up because his game will.

I actually like the selection, he compliments the group as it currently sits, the last time he played Stringer wasn't as big a factor, Cox and Perkins weren't there and Parish hadn't gone farm super saiyan

Dyl might be in to negate Hewett's impact on Merrett/Parish?

I'd like to see him put a little bit of time into Lloyd and Dawson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back