AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he staying as a rookie or being promoted to the senior list?
I imagine staying as a Rookie. You can be on the Rookie list for three years so this two year extension would take him through to 3 years on the Rookie List.

I imagine a decision about promoting him would wait until then.

I imagine staying as a Rookie. You can be on the Rookie list for three years so this two year extension would take him through to 3 years on the Rookie List.

I imagine a decision about promoting him would wait until then.
It just with having to take 3 players in the draft of which rookie upgrades count I think Essendon would promote a rookie rather than use pick 85 as an active pick.

It just with having to take 3 players in the draft of which rookie upgrades count I think Essendon would promote a rookie rather than use pick 85 as an active pick.
Yes but I imagine that if we are going to promote someone it is going to be Long, his 3 years is up and strung some good performances together before he had his brainfade leading up to finals.

I imagine pick 85 would be Long upgraded or a mature age recruit from the state leagues that have fallen through to the pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be the trade off to stay on the rookie list for a year especially now that upgrades are not required to play.

Kind of surprised that he's agreed to two years as I suspect that his value will double on the next 12 month. I suppose nothing prevens us from re-negotiatimg a deal at the end of next year.

Last edited:
Might be the trade off to stay on the rookie list for a year especially now that upgrades Re not required to play.

Kind of surprised that he's agreed to two years as I suspect that his value will double on the next 12 month. I suppose nothing prevens us from re-negotiatimg a deal at the end of next year.
Double? Maybe, but not over the next two months. Bar something catastrophic he wont play much in 2018. Provided McKernan is retained, there are 3 rucks ahead of Draper. I personally think Draper could do with a couple of games next year, but if we are gunning for a top 4 spot, a 2nd year, super Raw, untried, 19 year old ruck in Draper wont be playing.

However in 2019, the final year of his deal; Bellchambers will be 30, Leuenberger will likely be on a 1 year contract (his current one is up end of 2018) and McKernan most likely gone.

That will be the year he will have the chance to step up and his price will soar.

Double? Maybe, but not over the next two months. Bar something catastrophic he wont play much in 2018. Provided McKernan is retained, there are 3 rucks ahead of Draper. I personally think Draper could do with a couple of games next year, but if we are gunning for a top 4 spot, a 2nd year, super Raw, untried, 19 year old ruck in Draper wont be playing.

However in 2019, the final year of his deal; Bellchambers will be 30, Leuenberger will likely be on a 1 year contract (his current one is up end of 2018) and McKernan most likely gone.

That will be the year he will have the chance to step up and his price will soar.

If I was required to bet on an outcome I'd back him to become the number 2 for 2019. That's how good I think he has been and how good I think he will be. It's not slight on Leuenberger, it's simply that Draper is a freak - he should not be as physically capable as he is as 203-205cm 19 year old. He spent most of the pre-season for this year in a limited training group.

If I was required to bet on an outcome I'd back him to become the number 2 for 2019. That's how good I think he has been and how good I think he will be. It's not slight on Leuenberger, it's simply that Draper is a freak - he should not be as physically capable as he is as 203-205cm 19 year old. He spent most of the pre-season for this year in a limited training group.
That's the intonation I was making. Next year isnt really a make or break year for Draper, just keep developing and clocking up the VFL ruck minutes.

In 2019 he will probably easily go past Leuenberger, definitely McKernan and it will just be whether a 21 year old Draper will be able to surpass Bellchambers to establish himself in the seniors*.

* All this is based on his current rate of improvement.

I'm keeping an eye on Alwyn Davey Jr. A perfect replacement at CHF when Hooker retires.

Davey had twins, we'd just stack them on top of each other

Remove this Banner Ad

Back