Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

You’d think that but the vast amount of salty people on the main board reckon GAJs junk B&Fs at Gold Coast against 18 year olds means more than those finals awards. It’s deranged.
The main board.... Lol

Danger has always been about Danger. The bloke pretends to be humble but there's smugness about him that has always irrated me. Dusty on the other hand. He's a kind soft soul I reckon. You can tell it in his eyes when he occasionly mingles with our fans at family days. As for the media, simply scurge of the earth.
Because he refuses to play the (their) game.

Most Prelims + Grand Finals with 20+ Disposals & 2+ goals:

games in brackets

6x Dustin Martin (7)
5x None
4x Barry Cable (9) Tim Watson (10)
3x 10 players
2x 25 players
1x 109 players

Most Prelims + Grand Finals with 20+ Disposals & 3+ goals:

games in brackets

3x Dustin Martin (7)
Isn't there also a stat that only two players (Martin and Cable) have done that in 3 grand finals?

Isn't there also a stat that only two players (Martin and Cable) have done that in 3 grand finals?

Barry Cable

1974 Grand Final
25 possessions & 2 goals

1975 Grand Final
25 possessions & 0 goals

1976 Grand Final
21 possessions & 2 goals

1977 Grand Final
22 possessions & 2 goals

Dustin Martin

2017 Grand Final
29 possessions & 2 goals

2019 Grand Final
22 possessions & 4 goals

2020 Grand Final
21 possessions & 4 goals

Cable & Martin - the only players to get 20+ possessions and multiple goals in 3+ Grand Finals.

Barry Cable

1974 Grand Final
25 possessions & 2 goals

1975 Grand Final
25 possessions & 0 goals

1976 Grand Final
21 possessions & 2 goals

1977 Grand Final
22 possessions & 2 goals

Dustin Martin

2017 Grand Final
29 possessions & 2 goals

2019 Grand Final
22 possessions & 4 goals

2020 Grand Final
21 possessions & 4 goals

Cable & Martin - the only players to get 20+ possessions and multiple goals in 3+ Grand Finals.

Good ammo to use in the main board threads. 👍

They’ll still find a way to call him a downhill skier though.

Barry Cable

1974 Grand Final
25 possessions & 2 goals

1975 Grand Final
25 possessions & 0 goals

1976 Grand Final
21 possessions & 2 goals

1977 Grand Final
22 possessions & 2 goals

Dustin Martin

2017 Grand Final
29 possessions & 2 goals

2019 Grand Final
22 possessions & 4 goals

2020 Grand Final
21 possessions & 4 goals

Thanks. I knew it was something like that. Unbelievable. Easily the best player of his generation.

The MB Zoo. They don't call him Zookeeper Zevon for nothing 🤭
Ah I see tigs2010 is trying to trick me into posting on the Richmond board again.

Well it’s not going to work this time tigs, I’m too clever for you.

Oh wait

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good ammo to use in the main board threads. 👍

They’ll still find a way to call him a downhill skier though.
Bit controversial, but I actually find Dusty's 3 Gary Ayres Medals more impressive than his 3 Norm Smiths.

There's been some Norm Smith Medal winners over the years who've done FA in terms of individual awards besides that, but being the best player across at least 3 finals games in the same season is incredible.

And three times!! (on track for four after BOG v Hawks in 2018 QF before leg injury)

Preliminary Finals & Grand Finals

(averages in brackets)

Games: 7
Possessions: 154 (22.00)
Contested Possessions: 83 (11.85)
Clangers: 24 (3.42)
Clearances: 23 (3.28)
Marks: 21 (3.00)
Contested Marks: 7 (1.00)
Goals: 17 (2.42)
Goal Assists: 8 (1.14)
Tackles: 10 (1.42)
One Percenters: 11 (1.57)

Dusty averages 22 possessions & 2.42 goals per game in Preliminary Finals and Grand Finals combined.

Awesome record for a midfielder/forward.

Dustin Martin was Richmond’s best midfielder AND best forward in finals across 2017-2020…. at the same time. So he was our best midfielder in regards to total disposals, contested possessions etc…. AND he kicked more goals, had more score involvements and more goal assists than anyone else in the team … across 12 x finals.

Can anyone else name a player who has been their team’s best midfielder AND best forward in a single final? Single final series? Let alone across 4 x final series. It’s absurd.

Since they started keeping forward 1v1 winning percentages about 15-years ago …. Martin is at 50% winning percentage … next best is around 41% … Buddy, Tomahawk, Danger… you name it, nobody is within 9% of Martin. Scary to think what he’d have done in the days of 1v1 football of yesteryear.

Broken tackles he sits at 374. Viney next best in his era at 209. Almost double the next most … absurd.

I don’t think we will ever in our lifetime see anyone win 3 x Norm Smiths AND 3 x Gary Ayres Medals. We ‘might’ see 3 x Norm Smiths. We might even see 4 x Norm Smiths. But will that same player also be the best player of the entire finals series three times as well? In a soon to be 19-team competition, it’s almost inconceivable a single player will achieve that. And if by some chance it happens, it’ll be once or twice in the next 50+ years… so it will be Martin … player x and player y sitting atop the finals mountain since the NS medal was introduced. Right now Martin sits alone.

He’s the best finals player most of us have ever seen. The best of the best when the pressure has been at its greatest. Let’s hope the media highlight the absurdity of some of his achievements and on-field exploits… a genuine freak we’ve been fortunate to watch for nearly 300-games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dustin Martin was Richmond’s best midfielder AND best forward in finals across 2017-2020…. at the same time. So he was our best midfielder in regards to total disposals, contested possessions etc…. AND he kicked more goals, had more score involvements and more goal assists than anyone else in the team … across 12 x finals.

Can anyone else name a player who has been their team’s best midfielder AND best forward in a single final? Single final series? Let alone across 4 x final series. It’s absurd.

Since they started keeping forward 1v1 winning percentages about 15-years ago …. Martin is at 50% winning percentage … next best is around 41% … Buddy, Tomahawk, Danger… you name it, nobody is within 9% of Martin. Scary to think what he’d have done in the days of 1v1 football of yesteryear.

Broken tackles he sits at 374. Viney next best in his era at 209. Almost double the next most … absurd.

I don’t think we will ever in our lifetime see anyone win 3 x Norm Smiths AND 3 x Gary Ayres Medals. We ‘might’ see 3 x Norm Smiths. We might even see 4 x Norm Smiths. But will that same player also be the best player of the entire finals series three times as well? In a soon to be 19-team competition, it’s almost inconceivable a single player will achieve that. And if by some chance it happens, it’ll be once or twice in the next 50+ years… so it will be Martin … player x and player y sitting atop the finals mountain since the NS medal was introduced. Right now Martin sits alone.

He’s the best finals player most of us have ever seen. The best of the best when the pressure has been at its greatest. Let’s hope the media highlight the absurdity of some of his achievements and on-field exploits… a genuine freak we’ve been fortunate to watch for nearly 300-games.

Where can I find the stats for Broken Tackles? Is there a link/website?

They never go into any detail with it.

Just: "great finals record," "great big game record," "3 time NS Medallist."

His 3 Ayres Medals for best in the finals series are never mentioned. And they have since muddied the voting to give other players a chance to get as many votes and win both awards(Ayres and Smith medals) by multiplying GF voting x 1.5. Then they will say down the track possibly some clown has matched Dusty by winning both awards multiple times, but they wouldn't have won both under the same voting system Dusty played under. The league is working overtime trying to dilute his achievements because without this they would not realistically ever be matched.

I have never heard any commentator ever try to unpack his finals scoring feats, which would be generationally impressive for a gun full time forward in a dominant team. Let alone for a guy spending majority of his time in the midfield and dominating there as well. In low scoring games. It would be nice to see someone in the mainstream media go into some actual detail with it.

He has the highest goal + goal assist stats in finals in flag years of any Premiership player since goal assist stats were made available in 2003. Higher than Franklin, Gunston, Breust, Hawkins, Chapman, Johnson, everyone. The margin just gets greater when you make it goals + goal assists as a % of overall goals in the matches he played in.

And his figures just basically grow with the magnitude of the game, the total opposite of most so called great players.

His Grand Finals are higher than his other finals, which are higher than his crucial home and away games which are higher than the less important home and away games.

The only thing he hasn't done in his career is the bit that matters least, filled his boots in the manner of Franklin, Johnson etc against the cellar dweller teams in massive routs.

The media are now going to drool over all the stand rule era champions who nobody is allowed to tackle or impede in any way. And barely a whisper about the player who kicked them all into a cocked hat with opponents hanging off him left right and centre.

At least we know.

Last edited:
Where can I find the stats for Broken Tackles? Is there a link/website?

Here is a reference to most in individual games ever recorded.

MOST BROKEN TACKLES IN A GAME​

8 – Dustin Martin (PF, 2017)
8 – Luke Davies-Uniacke (Rd 23, 2022)
7 – Harley Reid (Rd 4, 2024)
7 – Darcy Fogarty (Rd 20, 2022)
7 – James Worpel (Rd 19, 2021)
7 – Dustin Martin (GF, 2019)
7 – Ben Cunnington (Rd 18, 2018)
7 – Dustin Martin (Rd 15, 2017)
7 – Jarman Impey (Rd 11, 2016)

Have a careful look at the games these were recorded in. Every other player on the list has done it in a random home and away game and none of them appear more than once on the list.

Martin appears three times on the list. Two of those were in a Preliminary Final, and a Grand Final. It is outrageous really, no wonder the cheats thought they needed to start changing rules galore to slow Richmond down.

Last edited:
Here is a reference to most in individual games ever recorded.

MOST BROKEN TACKLES IN A GAME​

8 – Dustin Martin (PF, 2017)
8 – Luke Davies-Uniacke (Rd 23, 2022)
7 – Harley Reid (Rd 4, 2024)
7 – Darcy Fogarty (Rd 20, 2022)
7 – James Worpel (Rd 19, 2021)
7 – Dustin Martin (GF, 2019)
7 – Ben Cunnington (Rd 18, 2018)
7 – Dustin Martin (Rd 15, 2017)
7 – Jarman Impey (Rd 11, 2016)

Have a careful look at the games these were recorded in. Every other player on the list has done it in a random home and away game and none of them appear more than once on the list.

Martin appears three times on the list. Two of those wereiIn a Preliminary Final, and a Grand Final. It is outrageous really, no wonder the cheats thought they needed to start changing rules galore to slow Richmond down.

Where did the 374 figure come from?

They never go into any detail with it.

Just: "great finals record," "great big game record," "3 time NS Medallist."

His 3 Ayres Medals for best in the finals series are never mentioned. And they have since muddied the voting to give other players a chance to get as many votes and win both awards(Ayres and Smith medals) by multiplying GF voting x 1.5. Then they will say down the track possibly some clown has matched Dusty by winning both awards multiple times, but they wouldn't have won both under the same voting system Dusty played under. The league is working overtime trying to dilute his achievements because without this they would not realistically ever be matched.

I have never heard any commentator ever try to unpack his finals scoring feats, which would be generationally impressive for a gun full time forward in a dominant team. Let alone for a guy spending majority of his time in the midfield and dominating there as well. In low scoring games. It would be nice to see someone in the mainstream media go into some actual detail with it.

He has the highest goal + goal assist stats in finals in flag years of any Premiership player since goal assist stats were made available in 2003. Higher than Franklin, Gunston, Breust, Hawkins, Chapman, Johnson, everyone. The margin just gets greater when you make it goals + goal assists as a % of overall goals in the matches he played in.

And his figures just basically grow with the magnitude of the game, the total opposite of most so called great players.

His Grand Finals are higher than his other finals, which are higher than his crucial home and away games which are higher than the less important home and away games.

The only thing he hasn't done in his career is the bit that matters least, filled his boots in the manner of Franklin, Johnson etc against the cellar dweller teams in massive routs.

The media are now going to drool over all the stand rule era champions who nobody is allowed to tackle or impede in any way. And barely a whisper about the player who kicked them all into a cocked hat with opponents hanging off him left right and centre.

At least we know.

Would be great to see a list of players with their averages goals / goal assists (so do it from when goal assists started getting recorded) per final from Premiership winning finals campaigns.

Would also be great to see Score Involvements and what % of team score each player was involved in using the same criteria.

Ah I see tigs2010 is trying to trick me into posting on the Richmond board again.

Well it’s not going to work this time tigs, I’m too clever for you.

Oh wait
Thanks for visiting the tigers board I would respectfully ask that while you are a welcome visitor please be respectful

Consider this your first warning.

Would be great to see a list of players with their averages goals / goal assists (so do it from when goal assists started getting recorded) per final from Premiership winning finals campaigns.

Would also be great to see Score Involvements and what % of team score each player was involved in using the same criteria.

Think I did that on the Dusty GOAT thread, will see if I can dig it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back