Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin wasn’t selected AA in 2023 …. but Miers right now is a lock in everyone’s AA team of 2024:

Here is Miers 2024 v Dusty 2023:

Disposals: 22.0 v 23.6
Goals: 1.0 v 1.3
GA: 1.3 v 0.8
CP: 6.1 v 9.8 (wowsers!!)
Clearances: 3.1 v 2.8
Marks: 4.4 v 4.7
CM: 0.1 v 1.1 (wowsers!!)
SI’s: 7.3 v 7.7
SI% : 28.7 v 32.2 (wowsers!!)

Miers a walk up start, Martin not selected.

Geelong mafia at it again.

A genuine joke the AA shafting Tigers have copped the last 15-years. And the Geelong AA lovefest a reverse joke.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Geelong are also undefeated, Dusty was a little bit in and out of the side last year and we were pretty crap. I don't disagree that Dusty should have been closer to selection, but Miers is also current-day news and standing out with his performances in a side performing well, so he will naturally get noticed.

Martin wasn’t selected AA in 2023 …. but Miers right now is a lock in everyone’s AA team of 2024:

A genuine joke the AA shafting Tigers have copped the last 15-years. And the Geelong AA lovefest a reverse joke.

Couldn't agree more. We were winning flags all over the place and we'd get one or two AA'a and other clubs won them and have six players in the AA !

The Darcy Byrne Jones one over Nick Vlaus still
annoys the hell out of me and it was ridiculous Dusty wasn't in the team last year.

Dangerflop just has to turn up and he's included every year !

Dusty is held to a different standard as usual.

its pretty funny dusty will retire with nearly as many normys as AAs :drunk:

I think he should have 5, and given the usual favourable treatment for marquee players should have 6 (at least if he had a geelong guernsey)

4 is a f**ken travesty & frustratingly is used by oppo fans as evidence to perpetuate the false narrative that he was only a good player for 4 seasons

its pretty funny dusty will retire with nearly as many normys as AAs :drunk:

I think he should have 5, and given the usual favourable treatment for marquee players should have 6 (at least if he had a geelong guernsey)

4 is a f**ken travesty & frustratingly is used by oppo fans as evidence to perpetuate the false narrative that he was only a good player for 4 seasons

He 100% should’ve been selected in 2019 - it remains the biggest AA oversight in alongside Sicily missing in 2022. If he was any other player he gets selected in 2023. And in 2015 he was borderline.

So he should 100% have 5, and if he gets one of 2015 or 2023 he has 6, which is about right.

Let this wash over you …. Danger, Guthrie and Stewart have 14 x AA and 3 x flags. Dusty, Cotchin and Vlastuin have 5 x AA and 9 x flags.

Would people stop saying "down forward".

It's "up forward" and "down back" and always has been.

Nobody in their right mind ever says "up back" !

It ain't rocket surgery.

It is strange. I don't like it either.
But at the same time, they pay free kicks "down field"...

Fellas,

Darcy Byrne-Jones was AA in 2020.

Tom Lynch missed in 22.

AA means f all.

Would people stop saying "down forward".

It's "up forward" and "down back" and always has been.

Nobody in their right mind ever says "up back" !

It ain't rocket surgery.

Reminds me as a kid living in Sydney and I would hear, "we are going up to Melbourne these holidays" no you're ******* not get a map FFS.

Barring injury is Dusty a lock to be rested in the coming weeks and then play his 300th against the Hawks in round 14 at the G?

Surely there is no way he plays it anywhere but the G?

Will need to book my flights and spot at the London Tavern with my brother.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong are also undefeated, Dusty was a little bit in and out of the side last year and we were pretty crap. I don't disagree that Dusty should have been closer to selection, but Miers is also current-day news and standing out with his performances in a side performing well, so he will naturally get noticed.

It is supposed to be the best 22 players by position, not who "gets noticed."

This is why I call it the LOL Australian team.

Tom Stewart laughably has more AA selections than Dustin Martin.

Cam Guthrie has more than Dion Prestia and the same amount as Trent Cotchin.

Mark Blicavs has more than Nick Vlastuin and as many as Tom Lynch(one more than Lynch has for Richmond.)

Tyson Stengle has as many AA's as Shai Bolton.

You could just go on and on. But Geelong is somehow magically paying all these highly acclaimed AA selected players less than their Richmond "lessers" get paid.

It is all part of the same sewer system.

I would be seriously planting Dusty's arse on the pine in the first quarter today (not as a sub).
We have been falling away badly in the last quarter and a bit in most games and Dusty has tapered off in second halves.
When you only have two genuine matchwinners in your team, you want to be getting the best out of them when you can - in the last quarter.
I'd be trying to keep Dusty fresher.
Decent starts has not been an issue with us.

Pathetic defensively today. I'm not talking about marathon running. He refused to take a couple steps to make a contest at least 4 times that game.
don't mind Dusty's lack of 100 % effort every now and again, it's obvious and I reckon he's been told just maximise your effort when you think it is required otherwise let the young blokes do the grinding stuff.

4 points at the moment to us is just like pissing into the wind.

my theory is Dusty has been told not to bust a gut, but when he's in a certain predicament consider his situation and make sure he sets himself and others up for when the ball is turned over.
he was ignored/not seen a couple of times because of inexperienced players didn't know where to look or what to do and blazed away.....:mad:

9 times out of 10 a Joe goose is scored it's because someone up the field hasn't chased to full capacity, but rather waited/guessed a s**t kick will happen and made space for the turnover to cause the overlap. if it comes off it's called football nous.... if it doesn't it's called bludging.

l'm more worried about Ryan getting it 40 times and slicing us up from the back half and Junior, Mansell and Campbell about 20 touches and little impact between them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back