Traded #42: Adam Saad - Traded to Carlton for pick 8 (with some junk picks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys,

I wrote something on Dodoro and what we might ask for in a trade for Saad. Not everyone will agree, but my thoughts:

I also disagree, he is a far superior player to what he was 3-4 years ago which isn't a surprise given the natural progression expected for his age/career. We got a bargain back then and he is worth far more now.

I also disagree, he is a far superior player to what he was 3-4 years ago which isn't a surprise given the natural progression expected for his age/career. We got a bargain back then and he is worth far more now.

fair enough. I think he is the same player, not a huge amount of natural progression for mine, perhaps slightly better but not enormously so. I think he has looked better in Essendon as we are a better team than what those Suns teams were, and perhaps we have featured him a little more offensively.

In any case, whilst i'd rather we had Saad than not have him, I am certainly not disappointed at losing the opportunity to re-sign a back flanker for 700k/yr. massive overspend imo.

There are so many clubs that have amicable spilts with players that want to leave. The Saad request is very straight forward. He wants to leave. Alright do the deal with Carlton and end it there.
The constant drama, gossip, bickering etc is getting tiresome.

It was never mentioned until a player wants to leave our club. Then suddenly all these journos have access to all the conversations that happened at the club.
We have the worst communication team and the worst club culture in the competition. No wonder our environment is so toxic.
Can't be great for players within the club; "if they did that to him, what would they do to me?"

Can't be great for players within the club; "if they did that to him, what would they do to me?"
Who reported it exactly? I know Caro mentioned it on Footy Classified, was it her scoop or did someone else get there first?

I find it very difficult to believe that the Charlie Cameron conversation thing was for public consumption, tbh.

There was plenty already out there from the Saad camp and the Worsfold/Rutten post-match press conference for round 18 about Saad talking to Rutten about his role going forward and not being satisfied with the answer. It didn't need to be overtly critical of Saad as a player.

I don't have any problem with him wanting to go somewhere that he can play to his strengths and get an AA, if that's what motivates him good luck to him.

They don't need to go any further than that to win over the members or anyone else, and it doesn't feel like the MO of Essendon's marketing and communications team.

So who leaked it? Was it a private conversation between someone at Essendon and a close friend that then flapped their gums to Caro who in turn decided to publish it because of a chip on her shoulder?

Or did it come from somewhere that would typically be regarded as an Essendon mouthpiece?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys,

I wrote something on Dodoro and what we might ask for in a trade for Saad. Not everyone will agree, but my thoughts:

I don’t understand the reasoning behind what we got him for? He is a much better player at Essendon then he was at GC. Anyone that says we got him for a second so we should accept a second has no clue. And anyone threatening with the PSD I honestly hope we turn around and say we WILL pick him up if he is available at our pick and make sure Carlton don’t even think about using the PSD. They are becoming the worst team to deal with in terms of threatening to use the PSD. Make make no mistake, this is a clear message Carlton has told Saad to use this as a threat.

Meh, Brasher said Dodoro and his team would be working closely with the coaches to get the players they need. Happy to give them a go at it whether they arrive via the draft, trade, FA or whatever.
Will be interested in watching this space. My mail is Dodoro may be reigned in a bit but I will believe it when I see it.

I always thought a defender's job was to defend. We've been blessed with guys like Wanga Solly Wellman Mark Johnson etc who could shut down and blanket forwards yet still get oodles of the ball.
I would have really liked to see how Saads attitude went down in any football era other than this one. Image under Sheeds, Jeans, Leigh Matthews or Malthouse 😬

I don’t understand the reasoning behind what we got him for? He is a much better player at Essendon then he was at GC. Anyone that says we got him for a second so we should accept a second has no clue. And anyone threatening with the PSD I honestly hope we turn around and say we WILL pick him up if he is available at our pick and make sure Carlton don’t even think about using the PSD. They are becoming the worst team to deal with in terms of threatening to use the PSD. Make make no mistake, this is a clear message Carlton has told Saad to use this as a threat.
Not too sorry to see him go. Obviously not prepared to be a team player if he's leaving because of being unhappy with his role. If he and the scum threaten the PSD, then we should threaten to re-draft him. If he sits out for a year, he will be almost 28yo by the start of the 2022 season. The big dollars may have dried up by then. If another club gets him, then at least the scum don't.

Don’t really know much how drafting works, if say for example essendon refuse on carltons offer and saad ends up in the pre season draft and essendon redrafts saad with pick 6 can he refuse?

Don’t really know much how drafting works, if say for example essendon refuse on carltons offer and saad ends up in the pre season draft and essendon redrafts saad with pick 6 can he refuse?
If you nominate for the draft you are open to be drafted by anyone, the player is welcome to sit out the next year if they want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back