Player Watch #42: Kallan Dawson - Twomey reporting 1yr extension - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

If Dawson plays more than 6 games in the firsts next year then something has gone badly wrong.

He will be closer to zero games than 22 - and you can bookmark that!
FMD 4 games into a career and he’s already been written off? It’s not like he looked totally lost out there either.

I’ve also read in these threads that Corr is not good enough and neither is Hall, Turner or Taylor and Zurhaar is overrated.

Are you all too young to remember that Shane f@rk!ng Clayton played for us in the 99 premiership? Not every player has to be an all Australian.

Last edited:
FMD 4 games into a career and he’s already been written off? It’s not like he looked totally lost out there either.

I’ve also read in these threads that Corr is not good enough and neither is Hall, Turner or Taylor and Zurhaar is overrated.

Are you all to young to remember that Shane f@rk!ng Clayton played for us in the 99 premiership? Not every player has to be an all Australian.
Agreed. Some on here don’t seem to comprehend that with good coaching and system even those drafted after the second round of the ND can make it and be valuable contributors.

Are you all too young to remember that Shane f@rk!ng Clayton played for us in the 99 premiership? Not every player has to be an all Australian.
This time two years ago he was playing amateur footy.

While it shows, the good stuff he does is also pretty good. And its that good stuff that is his ceiling. He's a long way behind but if he can learn alot quickly then he'll be a good player. I didn't know anything about this decision, just what i'd read on here re MSD prospects, but you can see why we took him. It was a good option i reckon.

He has shown more than multiple players we have taken in the draft not long ago.

The most pleasing thing for me is he isn't afraid to take the game on. That's what you need in finals type pressure matches.

He is not a perfect footballer (no such thing) but he is doing a lot of things right to persist with and has the athletic characteristics to flex his versatility.

Good find from Brady and I hope he makes it because there's definitely something there to work with.

lol - the reason Clarko is going hard to grab players to play in the back 6 is because we are so bad back there.

We have Bmac and then a bunch of stragglers/journeymen.

If Dawson plays more than 6 games in the firsts next year then something has gone badly wrong.

He will be closer to zero games than 22 - and you can bookmark that!

I wasn't a huge fan of the Dawson pick, mainly because I wanted D'Ambrosio, but he has certainly showed some good signs when he played in the seniors. Good run and carry, neat skills and elite closing speed. He was an excellent contested mark at VFL level, but hadn't really shown that at AFL level in his 4 games.

He has plenty of athletic tools to work with and will only improve after a full pre-season. Would not surprise me at all if he cements himself in our back 6 next year.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Dawson pick, mainly because I wanted D'Ambrosio, but he has certainly showed some good signs when he played in the seniors. Good run and carry, neat skills and elite closing speed. He was an excellent contested mark at VFL level, but hadn't really shown that at AFL level in his 4 games.

He has plenty of athletic tools to work with and will only improve after a full pre-season. Would not surprise me at all if he cements himself in our back 6 next year.
A bit of adjustment over the summer and hopefully has some confidence to back his marking. It's a great pick, and he looks to be good depth at worst, and starting 6 at best

A bit of adjustment over the summer and hopefully has some confidence to back his marking. It's a great pick, and he looks to be good depth at worst, and starting 6 at best

Still only young in KP terms too, so there is plenty to work. As you said, at bare minimum he is a solid depth option in an area where we have only limited options.

Because of his closing speed he can also play on smaller/third tall types.

I thought his run and carry was genuinely exciting. I've seen first round picks with less talent run out for us. I don't give a rat's that he's 24, looks like a player that is nowhere near finished developing.

I was genuinely surprised to see the run and carry from him. It wasn’t a feature of his VFL game so I was impressed.

I thought his run and carry was genuinely exciting. I've seen first round picks with less talent run out for us. I don't give a rat's that he's 24, looks like a player that is nowhere near finished developing.
Ash Johnson (another MSD pick) debuted for Collingwood at the age of 24 (turns 25 soon) and he goes alright

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Stewart of Geelong was 24 in his first game and averaged 10.5 touches in his first four games.

I'm not suggesting Kallan will be the same level of player, but it's an example that just because a player is already 24 it doesn't mean that being in an AFL environment can't still develop a player and take them to another level.

Tom Stewart of Geelong was 24 in his first game and averaged 10.5 touches in his first four games.

I'm not suggesting Kallan will be the same level of player, but it's an example that just because a player is already 24 it doesn't mean that being in an AFL environment can't still develop a player and take them to another level.
Agree.

I'd say peak AFL performance comes at around 26-28 age bracket so Kallan still has some time.

Not surprisingly, a few on here already had the knife firmly in Kallans back after 4 games

Not surprisingly, a few on here already had the knife firmly in Kallans back after 4 games

There’ll be some willing him to fail because we overlooked that bloke who ended up at *. The satisfaction some get from “I told ya so” can be all consuming.

There’ll be some willing him to fail because we overlooked that bloke who ended up at *. The satisfaction some get from “I told ya so” can be all consuming.
Don't know if anyone would seriously wish him to fail, but if we do land Logue, I don't see Dawson in the best 22 for round 1. That's ok for a 4 gamer, but when you're 24/25 and have just 12 months left on your contract, there isn't a lot of margin for error.

Don't know if anyone would seriously wish him to fail, but if we do land Logue, I don't see Dawson in the best 22 for round 1. That's ok for a 4 gamer, but when you're 24/25 and have just 12 months left on your contract, there isn't a lot of margin for error.

They’re out there. No one makes a prediction and legitimately hopes they’re wrong.

Um .. injuries happen. (Corr and Logue would agree.) We need more KPDs on the list than the minimum number to make up the AFL side every week. Not the end of the world for Dawson if he has development time in the VFL next year either.

I like him.

If he goes to Specsavers for a check up I think he will be a handy pick up.

I swear he drilled perfect passes that went nowhere near a North player multiple times.

Um .. injuries happen. (Corr and Logue would agree.) We need more KPDs on the list than the minimum number to make up the AFL side every week. Not the end of the world for Dawson if he has development time in the VFL next year either.
Of course, we need depth, from the club's point of view he's very much a required player. But given his age and that he only has 12 months on his deal, if he was only to play a handful of games, wouldn't make him sleep easy come the end of the season. And he would start as the 4th best in that group of blokes. But that's fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back