Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

A few years back I thought he might have turned out to be a top tier player which would have been a fantastic outcome given his start as a rookie listed player. But I really don't think he has progressed as well as expected - sure he shows glimpses of brilliance that suggest that the talent, skills, ability or whatever are there although there are also errors, poor selection of options and periods where he isn't making much of his opportunities. He seems to start seasons slowly - perhaps he will pick up over the next few weeks. Who knows?

I don’t think he’ll sign on.

Hasn’t been the same player as of late, shows little and when he does show something it isn’t for very long. I’d imagine being in a team that isn’t winning much of succeeding is getting to him hence the reason to “not give a s**t” because he’ll get a game the following week.

Knowing our luck he’ll go off to Sydney or Perth, strive and become that player we wanted him to be

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Knowing our luck he’ll go off to Sydney or Perth, strive and become that player we wanted him to be
That's fair enough. Disappointing. Annoying. But if he wants to go and it turns out well for him then it's out of our control anyway so good luck to him. But if it's a big dollar contract that lures him away as we're anticipating then we get another chance at a first round draft pick.

Of course, other outcomes may eventuate. I'm not the Nostradamus so I can't see the future.

To me, it looks like he is in his own head a bit.

Selfish hero ball is a brand that describes Zurhaar at the best of times, but now with money at stake, he seems a little hungrier and a little bit more eager to make something out of nothing. A couple of moments stood out Friday with him marking 45-50m out, and turning around to have the shot without checking if there was a better option available. In the modern game, that's about as big of a sin as you can commit as a forward, but it's likely the action of knowing that each goal he kicks adds another ten thousand or so into his bank account.

I have no issue with signing him to a five-year deal, and for Zurhaar's own sake, he should just put pen to paper immediately so that he can get back to playing his best footy. Some players can have great success with the contract-year mentality, but for Zurhaar, that mentality looks to be holding him back.

Calm Down Family Guy GIF

LDU has beaten three tacklers a few times so I can understand why he thinks he has it in him but yeah, first option is usually the best.
Mate, I'm as pro LDU as you can get. He could be anything by 27.

He moves beautifully with power and precision, but above all, his hands are simply wonderful.

LDU and George are our midfield ying and yang and hopefully get the next 8 years to carve up the league.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

To me, it looks like he is in his own head a bit.

Selfish hero ball is a brand that describes Zurhaar at the best of times, but now with money at stake, he seems a little hungrier and a little bit more eager to make something out of nothing. A couple of moments stood out Friday with him marking 45-50m out, and turning around to have the shot without checking if there was a better option available. In the modern game, that's about as big of a sin as you can commit as a forward, but it's likely the action of knowing that each goal he kicks adds another ten thousand or so into his bank account.

I have no issue with signing him to a five-year deal, and for Zurhaar's own sake, he should just put pen to paper immediately so that he can get back to playing his best footy. Some players can have great success with the contract-year mentality, but for Zurhaar, that mentality looks to be holding him back.
I understand how it might appear that way, and who knows perhaps it is. But i cant help but think he's trying to push himself to the next level and become the game breaker. Unfortunely that may lead to being a bit too focused on taking on yourself when better options are there.
He's definately not try to just pad the sheets, heck one pack he broke through wouldve been like running through a wall. That to me was a player trying everything he could to lift his team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand how it might appear that way, and who knows perhaps it is. But i cant help but think he's trying to push himself to the next level and become the game breaker. Unfortunely that may lead to being a bit too focused on taking on yourself when better options are there.
He's definately not try to just pad the sheets, heck one pack he broke through wouldve been like running through a wall. That to me was a player trying everything he could to lift his team.

That's the other, and perhaps more positive, outlook on it. If he wants to see the team improve to commit here long-term, then maybe he is taking it upon himself to bring us that improvement.

Whatever he is doing, it's clearly not working.

A few years back I thought he might have turned out to be a top tier player which would have been a fantastic outcome given his start as a rookie listed player. But I really don't think he has progressed as well as expected - sure he shows glimpses of brilliance that suggest that the talent, skills, ability or whatever are there although there are also errors, poor selection of options and periods where he isn't making much of his opportunities. He seems to start seasons slowly - perhaps he will pick up over the next few weeks. Who knows?
Personally surprised by a 5 year deal in front of him. His best is very very good, but lacks consistency. I'd like to see him up the ground more BUT I think his biggest deficiency is he just doesn't lower his eyes and find a team mate as a target. Sure he looks great when he's fending off and breaking tackles, but that more often than not ends up in blazing away in a rushed disposal or low percentage pot shot at goal.

5 year deal for a bit player? And it’s taken this long in his career to finally get fit? Fit for him anyway, because he pretty much conceded he can’t cover the ground like most blokes in an interview.
At the moment, it wouldn't surprise me if all of Curtis, Ford and Duursma go past Cam. Haven't seen enough of George to know what his potential might be, but all the early talk for him was very positive.

Certainly, right now, their potential seems greater. A 5-year contract for Cam might be another millstone around our list.

Last edited:
At the moment, it wouldn't surprise me if all of Curtis, Ford and Duursma go past Cam. Haven't seen enough of George to know what his potential might be, but all the early talk for him was very positive.

Certainly, right now, their potential seems greater. A 5-year contract for Cam might be another millstone around our list.

They would need to find the footy first.

Ye he needs to pass it off more
Watch Geelong today. Blokes know they are going to get on the end of it, and they sniff blood! They hit the best positioned forward knowing that if you work your arse off and get to the best spot next entry it’s your turn.

All their campaigners are eating at the buffet,

Cam is currently cooking for one

They would need to find the footy first.
I'm not anti-Cam, still trying to form an opinion. Just feel that he hasn't yet begun to fulfill his potential.

Take this week for example:
Cam - 19 possessions, 1 goal, 0 GA, 6 tackles, 383 metres gained, 92% TOG
Curtis - 13 possessions, 3 goals, 1 GA, 4 tackles, 204 MG, 76 % TOG
Ford - 6 possessions, 2 goals, 0 GA, 1 tackle, 96 mg, 55 % TOG

Cam has the most possessions, spent most time on the ground, but Curtis and Ford arguably had more impact. All players have made some contribution.

Stats obviously don't tell the whole story. A player's stats very much depend on the role they're asked to play. But I also spent that Cam has spent much more time as an AFL player than either Curtis or Ford.

I'm not anti-Cam, still trying to form an opinion. Just feel that he hasn't yet begun to fulfill his potential.

Take this week for example:
Cam - 19 possessions, 1 goal, 0 GA, 6 tackles, 383 metres gained, 92% TOG
Curtis - 13 possessions, 3 goals, 1 GA, 4 tackles, 204 MG, 76 % TOG
Ford - 6 possessions, 2 goals, 0 GA, 1 tackle, 96 mg, 55 % TOG

Cam has the most possessions, spent most time on the ground, but Curtis and Ford arguably had more impact. All players have made some contribution.

Stats obviously don't tell the whole story. A player's stats very much depend on the role they're asked to play. But I also spent that Cam has spent much more time as an AFL player than either Curtis or Ford.

For a forward in a s**t team, as Cam has been in his entire career, that leap from 13 to 19 is pretty huge.

While I take it he had some selfish moments I do genuinely think we've started to take for granted how good he is at the role he plays.

There's a reason clubs will be lining up to throw long deals at him.

For a forward in a s**t team, as Cam has been in his entire career, that leap from 13 to 19 is pretty huge.

While I take it he had some selfish moments I do genuinely think we've started to take for granted how good he is at the role he plays.

There's a reason clubs will be lining up to throw long deals at him.
Feels like there's a bit of a "take the next step or * off" vibe around the joint regarding a few of our senior players. Personally I'm more angered by the one's who have turned to actual shite (Corr, Stephenson).

People in here saying Camz has the blinkers on when inside 50 - think a lot have the same.
I noticed a few times when going inside 50 as he was about to pass it off the forward changes direction or just stops. Our forwards run in straight lines up and down the ground - how many do you see run across the ground.

Cam is the least of our worries - forward gets it 19 times while we’ve got mids who run free getting it less than 15 times.

* me we must have a plethora of stars running around in the vfl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back