Autopsy Autopsy vs St Kilda - the Cam Zurhaar Almost Special

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicking 3 or 4 occasionally (notice I said occasionally which means not all the time - I thought I’d better point that out because some people apparently have the reading comprehension skills of a spanner) a lot of which come from trying to get cheap/soft ones out the back or through free kicks, is not the work of a key full forward that we should seek out with every forward entry. Especially one who has to do it on his own - which Larkey does at the moment.

He’s a good, straight kick but overall he’s no Lockett as a forward. There’s more to being a key forward than just kicking straight. He goes okay sometimes but not consistently and in any case he doesn’t have the commanding presence of a dominant FF. He either needs help down there or better yet needs someone who would take the #1 defender.

I would’ve thought that was obvious. But hey don’t let me spoil the incredible success story you think our forward line is.

Nice straw man, I never said or implied that our forward line is even close to being successful or complete because it clearly isn't. Just pointing out the absurdity of claiming Larkey "only" looks good because he is actually kicking goals instead of some other more sexy looking intangible.

And no he does do it consistently. Since we are resorting to snarky condescending personal attacks on the others reading comprehension I will break it down for you and provide some helpful dictionary definitions:

1683512194599.png
1683512219639.png

Goal Scoring breakdown for Nick Larkey 2021/22/23:

Year202120222023
Games Played2220 (one game injury subbed)8*
3+ Goal Games753*
Total % of games played with 3+ goals scored31%25%37%*

The last 3 years as our main guy he has played 50 games and kicked 3 or more goals at an average of 30% of the games he has played each season, at a rate of no less than 25% and no more than 37%* of his games in any givenl season. He has also in these 3 seasons never gone more than 2 games in a row without kicking a goal.

That is the definition of consistent, as in you know exactly what you are going to get from him because every season in almost 1/3 games he will CONSISTENTLY have 3+ goal games, while he does OCCASIONALLY have one or two 0 goal games he will CONSISTENTLY bounce back and this is something that does not vary. Maybe that will change in the future but as of right now it is based on statistical fact and not anecdotal bias.

This is not to say I think Larkey is a prodigious key forward or even necessarily our future because I agree with you that he clearly needs someone else to take the pressure off him and is better suited to being the second banana, but too many on this board like to conveniently ignore the positives a player like Larkey provides while hyper-focusing on the negatives because of the 'look', similar to B. Brown.

It'll be cool when we trade Larkey to Richmond or Collingwood for peanuts in two years time and he goes on to win a flag immediately while we are all here jerking ourselves silly after we trade in a geriatric Levi Casboult because he dominates in the air, has a 'commanding presence' and OCCASIONALLY kicks a bag (go have a look how regularly he does it)

Good post.

People need to understand that despite the fact that we've supposedly been rebuilding for the best part of a decade, we are only really just beginning now. That sounds grim and it is, but at least we've got one of the greatest coaches of all time in charge and have managed to accumulate a little bit of talent in recent drafts so we have a reasonable platform to launch from.

Those old enough to remember 2007 will remember that year on and off the field with pride. Some might even hold it in higher regard than premiership years. That was North Melbourne. James Brayshaw played a vital role in saving the club, but the change from the uncompromising Dani Laidley to his private school golfing buddy in Brad Scott was a disaster. Not because Brad Scott isn't a good coach, I think he is. The problem was that he wasn't a good fit for the club. Publicly stating his desire to distance us from the Shinboner Spirit was a huge red flag and our culture went downhill fast from there. The Shinboner Spirit is our competitive advantage. It's so unique that the spellcheck is angry at me as I'm typing this. Removing it from our club is like Collingwood donating all of their money to charity, Geelong relocating to Melbourne or West Coast banning their whole crowd from attending. We filled our club up with people who didn't align with the soul of the club and we paid a big price.

Thankfully I believe the appointment of Sonja Hood was the turning point. She has the Shinboner Spirit and possesses the people skills required to understand who constitutes a good fit for the club. We now have the right personnel in key roles and it is only a matter of time before things improve. I know we're all sick of being told to be patient, but now we at least have something worth having faith in.
Spot on 👍

Probably missed this earlier in the stream danj but where is your pub?
🤣 not my pub mate but where I drink, the Clifton hill brew pub. There’s a Resource thread I started which the club has got behind‘unofficially’ and back with posts on that thread and North Facebook and also tickets n stuff for the raffle. Publican is a great North man and is right behind it, watch out for updates leading into this round against PA 👍

Dunno if it was just announced to attendees but they only umpired with 3 blokes yesterday as the fourth umpire was a late out
I didn't realise that it was only 3, I did notice that one had a significant balding issue where someone should have advised him to shave it about 4 years ago ;)

🤣 not my pub mate but where I drink, the Clifton hill brew pub. There’s a Resource thread I started which the club has got behind‘unofficially’ and back with posts on that thread and North Facebook and also tickets n stuff for the raffle. Publican is a great North man and is right behind it, watch out for updates leading into this round against PA 👍
Jeepers danj - just looked at the menu. No roast of the day and no seniors meals. I'm devastated. Was gonna come in one away game, but.......

Dunno if it was just announced to attendees but they only umpired with 3 blokes yesterday as the fourth umpire was a late out
I saw another mention of that. This is evidence that the AFL is a tin-pot disgrace of an organisation.

Even if the rules allow for it, the evidence is that of itself that they didn't have an emergency umpire. So, if any one of those who did umpire became ill or injured would the game have carried on with two? I wonder...

Jeepers danj - just looked at the menu. No roast of the day and no seniors meals. I'm devastated. Was gonna come in one away game, but.......
Jesus old people make everything about themselves

Any pub worth their salt needs a seniors menu with lambs fry front and centre.
high quality GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange direction to take.

Round 8 Curtis Taylor 14.1km (Scott not in top 5)
Round 7 Bailey Scott 14.7km (Taylor not in top 5)
Round 6 Curtis Taylor 14.4km (Scott not in top 5)
Round 5 Bailey Scott 13.9km (Taylor not in top 5)
Round 4 No North players in top 5
Round 3 Neither in top 5
Round 2 Curtis Taylor 14.4km (Scott not in top 5)
Round 1 Curtis Taylor 14.6km Bailey Scott 14.0km

So practically the same output for high distance covered in games.

Scott averaging slightly more possessions per game (16 vs 14.3), tackles (2.1 vs 1.6).

Taylor averaging slightly more marks per game (5.9 vs 4.4) and goals (0.8 vs 0).

I don't think either are taking the league by storm but I'm intrigued that you rate one so much higher than the other when they are damn near the same player based on output.

Mate drinks at happy hour prices and party pies n sausage rolls at halftime plus we can chat to management about doing a member’s special 😉
Low income bloke here - you may have to shout me lunch or I will just rely on the free finger food.

What’s parking like nearby?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back