Autopsy Autopsy vs St Kilda - the Cam Zurhaar Almost Special

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate a player that kicks 3/4/5 goals CONSISTENTLY isn't just bobbing up for "cheap ones"

Also lol @ the bolded
"Larkey is not a good forward but he only looks good because he kicks goals :drunk:"

Kicking 3 or 4 occasionally (notice I said occasionally which means not all the time - I thought I’d better point that out because some people apparently have the reading comprehension skills of a spanner) a lot of which come from trying to get cheap/soft ones out the back or through free kicks, is not the work of a key full forward that we should seek out with every forward entry. Especially one who has to do it on his own - which Larkey does at the moment.

He’s a good, straight kick but overall he’s no Lockett as a forward. There’s more to being a key forward than just kicking straight. He goes okay sometimes but not consistently and in any case he doesn’t have the commanding presence of a dominant FF. He either needs help down there or better yet needs someone who would take the #1 defender.

I would’ve thought that was obvious. But hey don’t let me spoil the incredible success story you think our forward line is.

I don't think we have a replacement for what he's doing in the backline. I reckon a large part of Ziebell's revitalisation this year is he has a smart player to work with back there, they're doing great work.
I'm hoping that when TT is back he will rotate with Sheezel between that backline role and pushing up to HF or on the ball.

Lots of positives in that from a defensive point of view. Scoreboard flattered us a bit but both teams missed chances.
Pretty hard to move the ball against the Ross Lyon defensive numbers back, you try to go quickly if you can but they get back fast so you have to be methodical and patient otherwise you get burnt on turnover, so the ball movement can look slow.
We're at the point where there's so many things to fix but the coaches can only really focus on one or two areas each week.
We are a team that lacks confidence, plenty of chances to score from the passages of play we had but just can't finish the final piece of it.
Cunners, sad to say, looks cooked right now. Maybe his body is still adjusting to playing AFL footy again? Whatever happens he's a legend.
Bit harsh on Taylor, he was running with Sinclair a fair bit of the day. Mahoney, Perez, Bergman and Drury showed some positives.
Lazzaro I'd like to see a few full games before I can completely say he doesn't have it. Not looking promising though with little impact as sub.
Simpkin battling hard with one hand, looks like he can't really grab the footy all that well.
Next four weeks might get ugly against good teams but lets see which young guys grab their chance.

Kicking 3 or 4 occasionally (notice I said occasionally which means not all the time - I thought I’d better point that out because some people apparently have the reading comprehension skills of a spanner) a lot of which come from trying to get cheap/soft ones out the back or through free kicks, is not the work of a key full forward that we should seek out with every forward entry. Especially one who has to do it on his own - which Larkey does at the moment.

He’s a good, straight kick but overall he’s no Lockett as a forward. There’s more to being a key forward than just kicking straight. He goes okay sometimes but not consistently and in any case he doesn’t have the commanding presence of a dominant FF. He either needs help down there or better yet needs someone who would take the #1 defender.

I would’ve thought that was obvious. But hey don’t let me spoil the incredible success story you think our forward line is.
Agree with this - he’s good, can be very good, but he can’t do or isn’t doing consistently what he needs to if he is the sole tall path to goal. There’s really no substitute for forwards who reliably take contested marks, and we need more than one of them so the defenders don’t all know where to go.

Plus our midfield needs to look more often for options that don’t have two and three opponents.

We look much better with Perez and Burgman across half back.

Recon Paul Curtis needs a good stint in the twos, doesn't defend at all.

Polish is what lost it for us tonight. Recon we were almost there all game, but how many set shots can our forwards miss?? I recon four set shots didn't even make the distance from 40 out 💩
Yep PC was the weakest link for pressure inside 50 and across HF. This needs to be stamped out of his game as, at present, he is only playing for goals. There is no chasing, shepherding, corralling. This I feel is a key moment in his development. Spend a month in the twos, chase and apply pressure and average 5 tackles a game.

It’s sad but when you allow defenders to run past you all game without any effort when most of your teammates are probably chucking up gaterade at half time from the physical exertion, you need to get a reality check.

A horrid game on a cold and horrid Sunday evening.

McGoo looked better without Logue as the good judges said would happen. Hopefully he’s roared back into band 1 compo territory. We won’t match if that’s the case or so I was told.

Mahony did play his best game for us. does look fitter and put his body on the line. Played within in his limitations.

Bergman I like a lot.

Sheezel is just Sheezel and does Sheezel things.

It was hard to watch and it is hard to get remotely excited about our games.

The cupboard is bare. Quite remarkable as to how wrong we managed to get it.

And wrong being as recent as the Powell and Phillips draft. We traded into a very ordinary draft year.
Finished 12th in 2019 and 17th in 2020 and have * all to show for our troubles.
Like nothing!

McGoo looked better without Logue as the good judges said would happen. Hopefully he’s roared back into band 1 compo territory. We won’t match if that’s the case or so I was told.

Mahony did play his best game for us. does look fitter and put his body on the line. Played within in his limitations.

Bergman I like a lot.

And wrong being as recent as the Powell and Phillips draft. We traded into a very ordinary draft year.
Like nothing!
Bloke arrived at club and couldn't believe how bad our list was. Well, he's only made it worse!

Bergman was great.

Compact with ball in had, made near decisions and then when it was his turn to go and defend in the air looked solid.

I’ll go back and watch the tape but I can’t remember anything too glaring for a defender in his 5th game - 16 touches 4 intercepts.

Lots to work with
He also provides us with that run and link up out of the back half which is like gold in the modern game.

I think once he truly settles into AFL footy he will become even more attacking. He’s a massive upgrade on Aaron Hall. He makes good decisions and has ticker.

Bergman I like a lot.

Like nothing!

I don't agree with this take. Recent drafts aren't the problem. It's the drafts before that are the issue. Will Phillips not becoming a consistent AFL player into next year, or even the year after is perfectly normal, particularly in the context of glandular.

Jack Steele was captaining his football club yesterday, while Sam Durdin, Daniel Nielson, and Ed Vickers-Willis are long forgotten but North.

All the same draft. All the prime age for football. And North have very similar stories in the drafts before and after (except for Ben McKay).

Agree with this - he’s good, can be very good, but he can’t do or isn’t doing consistently what he needs to if he is the sole tall path to goal. There’s really no substitute for forwards who reliably take contested marks, and we need more than one of them so the defenders don’t all know where to go.

Plus our midfield needs to look more often for options that don’t have two and three opponents.

Look Larkey is exactly as advertised on the tin. He took a great contested 1 on 1 mark today against St Kilda because it was setup to his strengths. People keep complaining about him getting out on the lead (rather than trying to double back etc) but the reality is that is not actually his strength. When he can get a player isolated and is able to use body work he is a very dangerous mark.

Ultimately we need: more marking power forward (KPP or smaller) that are willing to run to let him be the danger that he is; and to not be quite so pressured in the middle that the bomb release to FF is all they can muster.

Went shooting with a friend. He was talking about how flinching when shooting can become an issue. You flinch in. Anticipation of the gun firing and the kickback of the gun. To fix this you slowly pull the trigger not knowing when it'll fire or have someone else pull the trigger and you have your eyes closed/looking away from the trigger.

I feel like you could do something like this for football.
A firing squad sounds good to me!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 set shots didn’t make the distance and resulted in nil scores.
I was out of my range yesterday but I ran a little arc and it just made it through

Thekickingconsultant on Insta is GOATED

Like I said, we’re now at a stage where we are trying to find positives despite not kicking a goal in half a game of football. Not 1 single goal but we praise ourselves because Saints only kicked 3 or cause Saints have held others to not many goals. We had zero. It’s wasn’t “a few”, it wasn’t “a couple” it wasn’t even 1. It was ducking zero.

Saints near on doubled our score.

Yet, I’m not angry cause it’s just the norm. I’m numb to it and it seems the players are too.
We didn’t kick a goal because of lack of opportunities. Thats a fundamental, we had a plethora of opportunity to win that game or at least apply score board pressure.

A lot of negativity but I thought it was the best we've looked since the Carlton game in round 4.

Our defensive structure was great, the effort was there and it just felt like players were playing their roles well, but unfortunately the polish/quality wasn't there.

I felt positive overall considering we were in the game despite the following:
  • LDU still looks like he's at about 60%
  • Cunners was poor
  • Simpkin had his worst game for a while
  • Paul Curtis was poor
  • Zurhaar tried to do a bit too much at times and probably cost us a couple of goals

I really liked Mahony, Bergman, Drury and Perez. None of them tore it up but they were solid with and without the ball and played their roles. We looked significantly better with them in the side than having Hall, Turner and Howe.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing Wardlaw, Ford, Goater, Phillips, Free and Harvey play a good bunch of games at VFL level and then string some together at AFL level in the second half of the year.

Dare I suggest TT might find himself in the 1's at some point before year's end if he stays the course?

Just barrel it!
That too but set shots are more mental like “will I get the distance” “is anybody leading?”

Take a few deep breaths and go through your routine

Dare I suggest TT might find himself in the 1's at some point before year's end if he stays the course?
Agree with your take.

We could massively use slotting TT into the middle of the ground at the moment. He would be a huge asset in form.

Cunners has a 'mare, and subbed out after looking slow, and getting one kick, come on down Lazzaro, gets one kick, and didn't even look that quick, what a disaster.
Laz spends a lot of time in no man's land. He isn't affecting the contest where the ball is, and he is also watching it sail over his head to free players behind him. Not what you want to see from the only guy on field who is fresh as a daisy.

Deserved his opportunity with some good VFL form, and then squandered that opportunity when he came on.

Bergman I like a lot.

Like nothing!

Time to look forward, Old Boy.

Time to look forward, Old Boy.

Yeah I know and I honestly feel by rd 12 next year we will be unrecognisable.
I think a smart punter could make some serious coin on us in 2024. The comp is *en woeful fy&I and that's what rattles around in my head.
, fancy being on a 2bit sitcom and landing the role at an AFL footy club as List Manager.
Only in Hollywood I suppose

1683504464280.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back