Autopsy Autopsy vs St Kilda - the Cam Zurhaar Almost Special

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully not us with Wardlaw. I realise that based on ability and talent, most teams had GW at 1, but his body has some concerns. We really need to have nailed last year's draft as the '20 and '21 picks are no certainties.

We stayed away from Joel Selwood because of injury concerns, and instead chose Lachie Hansen. I'm sure the club really, really didnt want to make that mistake again. I'm really excited about Wardlaws potential at this stage, but we'll just have to wait and see.

We stayed away from Joel Selwood because of injury concerns, and instead chose Lachie Hansen. I'm sure the club really, really didnt want to make that mistake again. I'm really excited about Wardlaws potential at this stage, but we'll just have to wait and see.
The difference is that Geelong (I’m fairly sure) knew JS was right to go straight away and he went on to play 300 games straight pretty much.

We knew that it would be at least 6 months before GW saw action and may have complications considering the niggles that occurred with his hamstrings towards the latter part of his draft year.

Broccoli is great. Never understood why kids don’t liked it.

had my first taste of Chinese broccoli at age 5 and have been in love since
Geez... we spent a month in Shanghai when my wife's sister lived there. Our kid was about 4, so we had taken him to a few Chinese restaurants to get him used to the food before we left home. Get to China and he refused to eat anything except fish and chips whenever we went out.

Strange direction to take.

Round 8 Curtis Taylor 14.1km (Scott not in top 5)
Round 7 Bailey Scott 14.7km (Taylor not in top 5)
Round 6 Curtis Taylor 14.4km (Scott not in top 5)
Round 5 Bailey Scott 13.9km (Taylor not in top 5)
Round 4 No North players in top 5
Round 3 Neither in top 5
Round 2 Curtis Taylor 14.4km (Scott not in top 5)
Round 1 Curtis Taylor 14.6km Bailey Scott 14.0km

So practically the same output for high distance covered in games.

Scott averaging slightly more possessions per game (16 vs 14.3), tackles (2.1 vs 1.6).

Taylor averaging slightly more marks per game (5.9 vs 4.4) and goals (0.8 vs 0).

I don't think either are taking the league by storm but I'm intrigued that you rate one so much higher than the other when they are damn near the same player based on output.
CT has a higher ceiling if his highlights are anything to go by, so from that perspective he's performing relatively worse I suppose. But you make a great point, I've been one in the camp of valuing Scott a fair bit more.

I’d put Cunners deep forward and rotate Larkey further up the ground. Not for a whole game but to mix it up a bit here and there.

Both of these guys are elite kicks for goal and when Ben has snuck forward previously, things often happen. Maybe this is his twilight role when he passes the baton over to the next meat-grinders. Then he, being our spiritual leader, is still in the team.

I don’t know if it’s been suggested but it’s something I think is worth trying.

We thought Ziebs was done, didn’t we? And look.

Broccoli should only be steamed, 7 minutes el dente, add whatever you like after that, me I like my broccoli nude 👍
Chuck it in a pan with some garlic and smoke the edges of it. Yum.

I hate this. Shows how much we've dropped off. How unfit we are. How soft we are.

Laidley and Scott both acknowledged they took over teams that might've lacked a bit of class but that "you always know what you'll get from these guys".

Clarkson may have slightly different feelings on the unit he's inherited.

Laidley and Scott both acknowledged they took over teams that might've lacked a bit of class but that "you always know what you'll get from these guys".

Clarkson may have slightly different feelings on the unit he's inherited.
It’s all between the ears KC.

In our win in round 1 we had 69 against West Coast ☑️
In our win in round 2 we had 57 against Freo ☑️

Since then we haven’t gone above 50 once. In all 6 losses we’ve gone 47, 44, 40, 48, 46, 47.

This s**t is all between the ears but it’s a pretty glaring indictment on the general 22 who go out to play that we can’t even muster atleast 2 and a bit tackles from each player. We’re not asking for 90 a game ffs just come to play with intent.

Piss poor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s all between the ears KC.

In our win in round 1 we had 69 against West Coast ☑️
In our win in round 2 we had 57 against Freo ☑️

Since then we haven’t gone above 50 once. In all 6 losses we’ve gone 47, 44, 40, 48, 46, 47.

This s**t is all between the ears but it’s a pretty glaring indictment on the general 22 who go out to play that we can’t even muster atleast 2 and a bit tackles from each player. We’re not asking for 90 a game ffs just come to play with intent.

Piss poor

I'd love to know if Clarkson/Viney are try to drive competitiveness into the guys who do trail off week to week?

Or whether they're quietly compiling a naughty and nice list for the end of year instead of pleading with professional athletes to be hungry for the contest?

To that end Jack Ziebell has now taken up the "show up your teammates" mantle (in my head) from Andrew Swallow circa 2017.

As posted at the time, Swallow was on his last legs but in his first few minutes on-field one game showed up just about every other fitter, younger player for desire with his energy.

I'd love to know if Clarkson/Viney are try to drive competitiveness into the guys who do trail off week to week?

Or whether they're quietly compiling a naughty and nice list for the end of year instead of pleading with professional athletes to be hungry for the contest?

To that end Jack Ziebell has now taken up the "show up your teammates" mantle (in my head) from Andrew Swallow circa 2017.

As posted at the time, Swallow was on his last legs but in his first few minutes on-field one game showed up just about every other fitter, younger player for desire with his energy.
In 2017 Spitta was dropped to the VFL but didn’t sook and came back and helped us in a famous win over Melbourne down in Hobart.

But yes I hope this is being drilled into them but hope that learning the gameplan isn’t their excuse for a copout

I'm getting very distinct 'naughty and nice list' vibes from Clarko when I watch him on the sidelines, he is very long range oriented in every aspect of his approach, and with this list he is going to need to be.

*ing had our chance on a decent one a few drafts back. Still annoys me.

Mcdonald at 32 games- 39 goals (in a grand final side with the best forward of his generation helping to draw defenders away from him)
Larkey at 32 games- 42 goals (in a wooden spoon side with no bastard appearing to be remotely interested in helping draw defenders away from him)

Maybe the answer is to delist Ziebell, Goldstein, Cunnington?

Clearly there is a long standing culture and leadership problem. All are on their third president, their 6th CEO, JZ & Goldy their 6th coach, Goldy on his 5th & 6th captain. Every level of leadership has been turned over multiple times at the club but not on-field.

Not saying they are the problem - JZ & Goldy have been good this year (I gave them my 3 and 1 votes this week). Cunners is a fading warrior. But if on-field culture and leadership is the problem then maybe move on those that have been present throughout the origins, the sharpest plummet and the current depths of the on-field cultural decline.

It is harsh to pin our lament on these guys - there's a reason they have survived. They are super loyal, tough competitors. But if the tree is rotten you don't chuck out a few apples and hope the next batch is OK. When Blight arrived at Adelaide he identified a cultural problem and chopped McGuinness, McDermott and A.Jarman who'd been there since Day 1. That year they won a flag with only nine players who'd played 50 games at the club.

Further to that, the next most experienced player is McDonald. There's no way he can be a captain.

Last edited:
Mcdonald at 32 games- 39 goals (in a grand final side with the best forward of his generation helping to draw defenders away from him)
Larkey at 32 games- 42 goals (in a wooden spoon side with no bastard appearing to be remotely interested in helping draw defenders away from him)
Not a slight on who we chose, more a slight on a blind recruitment team who can’t identify positional need when it slaps them in the face. The comment was in relation to our desperate need for a key forward. Do you think we’d pass up a McDonald type this draft if available in favour of an equally talented midfielder?

Not a slight on who we chose, more a slight on a blind recruitment team who can’t identify positional need when it slaps them in the face. The comment was in relation to our desperate need for a key forward. Do you think we’d pass up a McDonald type this draft if available in favour of an equally talented midfielder?

Well 100% agree we desperately need a key forward, but I reckon it really depends on the player at this point. It's a midfielders/small forwards game at the moment, the Dees leading goal kicker in their flag year was 188cm Fritsch and Charlie Cameron has been the lions leading goal kicker for 3 years.

🤣 not my pub mate but where I drink, the Clifton hill brew pub. There’s a Resource thread I started which the club has got behind‘unofficially’ and back with posts on that thread and North Facebook and also tickets n stuff for the raffle. Publican is a great North man and is right behind it, watch out for updates leading into this round against PA 👍
Cheers Danj. Sounds like a great place to catch the game and enjoy a parma on Saturday. No Port supporters allowed!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back