45 seconds of silence

Remove this Banner Ad

its well known that no 'minute' of silence lasts a real minute anywhere in the world. in 45 seconds is quite long as sometimes they are as low as .28
deal with it sister

This. For a comparison, Derek Boogaard (NHL player) got an 8 second moment of silence during the week

Why would you even bother - totally demeaning

As another poster has already metioned I was listening on the radio and there was heaps of background noise. I suppose that when you have crowds of that magnitude your never goiing to get it totally silent. Anyone ever noticed how many people seem to get a coughing fit the minute you have to be quiet.

As long as the appropriate amount of respect is shown, which it seemed to be on telly then 45 should suffice. Let's focus on the man Bobby Davis rather than 15 seconds

As another poster has already metioned I was listening on the radio and there was heaps of background noise. I suppose that when you have crowds of that magnitude your never goiing to get it totally silent. Anyone ever noticed how many people seem to get a coughing fit the minute you have to be quiet.
Been dead silent on ANZAC Day the last few years.

I think on a day like ANZAC day everyone knows it is ANZAC day and that there will be a minute silence. With things like this there may have been a fair few people who simply forgot and were out getting food or a last minute beer and therefore were making some noise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thinks that's because it's an occasion that all australians respect - it's always so impressive during that moment that we do hold the diggers in such respect. Now if we could just get them singing the national anthem.

So why can't a minute's silence actually be a minute?
It's never actually a minute's silence anymore, I reckon it's been "a moment's silence" for the last 10 years whenever it's being observed, irrespective of a sporting event or not.

Last time I looked it wasn't a criminal offence to talk during a minutes silence.

One has to wonder why they don't hold a minute silence for every person that dies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back