AFL Player #49: Jaiden Hunter - Back on the track! - 1/5

Remove this Banner Ad

I note in draft year he would go toe to toe with #1 fancy Logan McDonald and hold his own as a kp defender. Reckon he's got decent swingability factor. Once the fwd troops reassemble he might be the big back we were after
Welcome to Essendon, Jaiden!

I read that review too. Very decent as a defender. I'm getting Cale Hooker vibes but I suspect we go back to our structure that destroyed Hawthorn, with Hunter leading up to a wing and back, in lieu of Jones and making space for Weid.

Maybe if 2MP returns, it's a Hunter-Jorgensen 1-2 punch in the VFL.

Can we fit 2MP, Weid, Hunter and Stringer? ...and Langford? I don't see it.

Of course you did like you were 100% sure Teal was aswell....who ended up nowhere

Claimed it as bullet proof

Very un ethan like 🙄
I said I'd probably get maybe 1 or 2 right. Never claimed it as bullet proof.
I said I'd do a phantom draft, I will almost certainly get one or two at most right but here goes:

1. West Coast: Jaiden Hunter
2. North Melbourne: Ryan Maric
3. Hawthorn: Ethan Stanley
4. Richmond: Luke Teal
5. Greater Western Sydney: Jack Buller
6. Sydney: Oscar McDonald
7. Geelong: Sam Naismith
8. Fremantle: Robert Hansen jr
9. Essendon: Rye Penny
10. Western Bulldogs: Mutaz El Nour
11. Port Adelaide: Lochie Burrows
12. West Coast: James Tresize
13. Hawthorn: pass
14. Richmond: pass
15. Greater Western Sydney: pass
16. Sydney: Noah Casalini
17. Essendon: Ethan Phillips
18. Sydney: pass

I think that Richmond would have been hoping that Mutaz or Tresize slipped to their second

Last edited:
Player comparison please. I'm disappointed in the lack of controversy with this pick so far, seems to be consensus - a rarity on this board.
Micheal Still 😛

I am encouraged by all the positive comments about this guy, but surely our list needs more running types, and ideally creative off half back types (ala Hind of 2021). We have so many talls on our list. I dont claim to be an expert on list structures and talls take longer etc but how many can you have. 2MP is almost back. Weid seemed to be recruited as cover or different option to Jones and that has worked. Baldwin was supposed to be a forward who seemed to get pushed to VFL defence due to injuries to Reid and Cox.

We will have Hayes, Cox, Monty, Baldwin (surely he has to play forward again) and McBride? in a very tall VFL defence (with Reid to come back), Bryan and Flipper in ruck and forward (cos once 2MP is back, its the end of 2 rucks) plus Voss, Jorgenson (VFL listed)? and not sure who else as tall(ish) up forward.

We have no developing AFL listed players in the VFL to play midfield, wing, half back with the upcoming exception of Tsatas. Plus the VFL side loses Narkle (good for him). Wanganeen and Munkara are only ever going to be forward pocket types, same for Daveyx2 for a couple of years at least, Lord will get cut at end of year. And those that will struggle to be best 22 players are the likes of Walla, Snelling, maybe Guelfi, D'Ambrosio, of which only D'Ambrosio is anything other than a small forward.

Put another way, the only players in development seem to be key position defenders and small forwards. Maybe that means we need to develop a KPF but I would have thought priorities lie elsewhere. Kicking a score hasn't been our problem.
Think mid season draft is more take best available. You do not want to be sifting through the rubble and not taking the best available talent.

Was pretty lean and only 194cm. Might not have had the strength or agility for am undersized player. Has put on 15kgs in 3 preseasons.
This is the reason why I think there should be more list spots even if there are just more genuine rookie spots . My opinion is we have hurt Zack Reid’s development by pushing too early and the you have player’s like these guys who have three years of physical development.
There should be enough list spots so that players that need an extra year or two development can get it . There are some KP prospects that should only be playing 10 to 12 VFL games in their fist year .

Micheal Still 😛
Billy Gardell Reaction GIF by CBS

For me this pick is insurance with considerable upside.

We don't have a lot of KPP depth given the injury history of Jones, Cox, Reid and Stewart, plus we're still working out whether Baldwin can make it (although he'd be undersized as it is) and Hayes is still a year or 2 away based on physical development.

If Hunter can get on the park and stay on the park then the rest is up to him, and in that I wish him luck and a clean bill of health so he can show us what he's got for the remainder of the year.

The issue then becomes the volume of talls on the list and what to do with them all come seasons end to balance the list out.

I know we have…. But it feels like since Lloyd we haven’t draft a key forward.. so this is nice

For me this pick is insurance with considerable upside.

We don't have a lot of KPP depth given the injury history of Jones, Cox, Reid and Stewart, plus we're still working out whether Baldwin can make it (although he'd be undersized as it is) and Hayes is still a year or 2 away based on physical development.

If Hunter can get on the park and stay on the park then the rest is up to him, and in that I wish him luck and a clean bill of health so he can show us what he's got for the remainder of the year.

The issue then becomes the volume of talls on the list and what to do with them all come seasons end to balance the list out.

For sure.
Down back it feels like we've got about 6 cracks at it in the hope that a couple come good (Reid, Zerk, Baldwin, Cox, Hayes... I'm writing off McBride at this point).

Up forward, the guys are slightly more proven (Wright and Weideman) but behind there really was only Voss and Jones (Who are unproven and somehow becoming more unproven at time goes on respectively). Having another on the list certainly can't hurt here.

Perfect kind of pickup for the MSD could really flourish in an AFL system. Re: depth in the forward line, 2MP is only just returning and pretty happy with Weids but unfortunately young Harry hasn't progressed as fast as hoped. Jaiden has a real chance to put pressure on selection so best of luck to him.

I would of liked a ready made Narkle, but interested in Hunter selection.

Is he any chance at playing at some point this year or is he a development project only?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This doesnt even include Owens who you said wouldnt get to our pick which at the time was far earlier around 5.

Instead of saying 'both will be gone by our pick' , maybe add in 'imo' or 'i think'
Pretty clear they're making a prediction. Obviously is 'in their opinion' or 'what they think'

This doesnt even include Owens who you said wouldnt get to our pick which at the time was far earlier around 5.

Instead of saying 'both will be gone by our pick' , maybe add in 'imo' or 'i think'
Ooh, you got me. I didn't even include Owens in my mock draft so clearly my opinion had changed.

Still doesn't explain how you read "probably only get 1 or 2 right at most" as "this is bullet proof".

Ooh, you got me. I didn't even include Owens in my mock draft so clearly my opinion had changed.

Still doesn't explain how you read "probably only get 1 or 2 right at most" as "this is bullet proof".
Hey.

Shut up.

Keystone agony eth-dog cut it out.

We get that you don't like each other, so please put each other on ignore.

If you continue to abuse each other, OR ANYONE ELSE, you'll be getting infractions. Mods have had enough of cleaning up after you.

That includes name calling, playing the man, being a condescending arseh*le, and any other way you might think to be a pest or start a pile on.

Thanks.

Surely the main person unhappy with this pickup would have to be Voss.
I view Voss more as Langford depth?

For me, i view it as
Wright/Resting ruck
Weid/Hunter
Stringer/Jones
Langford/Voss

Perkins and the host of mids (Shiel, Caldwell, Martin, Guelf, Snelling) that can do a role rotate through.

Don't mind that profile if im honest.
Would happily extend him beyond this season given age, scope and need
And Baldwin as Laverde understudy whilst Reid & Hayes also build out.

I know he's an MSD pick, but we've had decent luck there.
I'm changing my priorities for the ND this year now. Focus on x-factor (Tholstrup, Duursma, Watson should be slide).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back