Retired #49: Matt Dea - calls it a day, retiring at season's end - 2/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep mcneice and long but delist Dea?
Awful management there.
Long plays a different position, and probably the 4th in line small forward on our list
McNiece is Cat B rookie list so has no draft implications.

I guess you're in the same boat we were with Matty.

You know his level - best 20-30 on the list. One of the last in, first out at selection. You have to play some kids to see if they can be better than him, and hopefully improve the level of your 20-30 guys.

Chances are at least half of them will be worse than Matt Dea, a quarter will be about the same, and a quarter may be better. Unfortunately, the only way to find out which are the 'better' guys are is to play them all.

Tiger fans didn't want to see him go either.
This is really on the money.

SURPRISE!!

Agree with what you say though. I think he is handy and deserving of a spot, but if we are going to improve to the level we want to get to, he would never really be considered anything more than being a few layers of depth.

Handy to have, but would hope that the players under him were pushing him out by early next year anyway. Loved the article though, and what it says about his character in helping the younger guys. Seems like he will be missed around the club.

Yeah, I agree with you. Especially down back we're hopefully set with everyone from Redman to Ridley. Different size and type of player's but I would of kept Dea over McNeice. Mind you I started to suspect Matty was done when I read that Jake and Ben signed on.

I hope he stays with our Vfl side but he probably won't be.

Yeah, I agree with you. Especially down back we're hopefully set with everyone from Redman to Ridley. Different size and type of player's but I would of kept Dea over McNeice. Mind you I started to suspect Matty was done when I read that Jake and Ben signed on.

I hope he stays with our Vfl side but he probably won't be.
McNiece is Cat B which essentially makes him irrelevant to the Dea discussion.

What a shame. Terrific bloke and a real team player. He’s the best of the lot to get chopped from us and Gold Coast could certainly use someone of Dea’s caliber to help regenerate and lead the younger fellas up there.

Certainly good enough to be on a list somewhere but unfortunately we have a lot of talent in our similarly sized players with: Francis, Ridley, Redman and Gleeson.

McNiece is bloody lucky he's Cat B though. Dea is comfortably a better player.

Dea is a good player. Hope very much a club is smart enough to go for it. I’ve been a fan for a bit now. He can come to Melbourne but for the fact we have kind of brought in a million defenders over the years but I still like him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting scenario as I reckon if you played Dea as a small forward he'd outperform Long. If they played midfield he'll be better.

Not that I'm too fussed about his delisting but he's unlucky he doesn't get the standard Essendon extension while others get the good old Essendon pension.

Didn't do a lot wrong - he's unlucky I think, although it's probably the right call.

I will always remember him fondly for putting his hand up in our time of need and for being a solid, dependable and no fuss player.

Best of luck, Matty.

Still think we should've kept him. If his name was Long he would've been and I think it's wrong in this case...

Maybe if rumours are true he wants to join the Police force? if true good luck to him but I think we're poorer for it, we needed that back up in experience.

I'll be forever grateful to Dea for coming to the club when we were on our knees. While he'll never be a star you knew what you were getting every time he took the field and his courage at times was something to behold. He can leave the club with his head held very high, and should he nominate for the draft I'd like to see him get another shot.

Interesting scenario as I reckon if you played Dea as a small forward he'd outperform Long. If they played midfield he'll be better.

Not that I'm too fussed about his delisting but he's unlucky he doesn't get the standard Essendon extension while others get the good old Essendon pension.
I like how this rhymes.

Personally I think Long has more tricks with less consistency being involved in plays. Long won’t be on the list much longer if he doesn’t find it.

I would have thought that with some names we have retained, that he would have been handy for depth and was still more than capable of playing 1st XXII football when required.

That being said, I think that we have talent on our list with the younger guys like Mutch, McGrath, Francis etc who can all fill the same area. Back up comes from McNiece now and the 'in case of emergency' Bags.

Edit: I didn't see that Bags was now offered a full list spot, though he could be played back there as he knows the role and what's required.

Last edited:
Back to the future!!!

hqdefault.jpg

url

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back