Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Aside from the fact you could’ve picked nearly anyone to replace Edwards, it’s fairly pleasing to see non-Essendon fans saying they think he was robbed, especially since I thought he was borderline AA at best.

Aside from the fact you could’ve picked nearly anyone to replace Edwards, it’s fairly pleasing to see non-Essendon fans saying they think he was robbed, especially since I thought he was borderline AA at best.

For mine the football public generally likes the AA side to reflect the style of football being played at the time and currently pressure is king so to have the best pressure player in the game missing, is like the selectors saying they know better than the natural evolution of the game.

For mine the football public generally likes the AA side to reflect the style of football being played at the time and currently pressure is king so to have the best pressure player in the game missing, is like the selectors saying they know better than the natural evolution of the game.
That’s really the best argument I’d have for Smith.

Best pressure player in a year based around pressure.

There were 2 big oversights in the AA team. Smith and Macrae. Smith did what he did better than any player all year, consistently. What more could he possibly do? He wasn’t simply a defensive, pressure act player, he was also incisive in his attacking play and occasionally mercurial.

Macrae became truly elite this year and was so far ahead of Sidebum and Gaff it isn’t funny (and they both had great years, no doubt).

There were 2 big oversights in the AA team. Smith and Macrae. Smith did what he did better than any player all year, consistently. What more could he possibly do? He wasn’t simply a defensive, pressure act player, he was also incisive in his attacking play and occasionally mercurial.

Macrae became truly elite this year and was so far ahead of Sidebum and Gaff it isn’t funny (and they both had great years, no doubt).

I think smith was solid and its good he made the squad. Im not upset he isnt in final team.
Macrae probably missed a bit too much footy and i dont have too many issues with Sidebottom in the team. Couldnt believe he had never earnt one before.

The calls for Edwards to be not there are ridiculous, he has had an amazing year.

Only questionable one for me is Buddy as captain, i would have given Hurn captain with Riewoldt as Vice.

AA is a reputation team. Robbie Gray? Lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think smith was solid and its good he made the squad. Im not upset he isnt in final team.
Macrae probably missed a bit too much footy and i dont have too many issues with Sidebottom in the team. Couldnt believe he had never earnt one before.

The calls for Edwards to be not there are ridiculous, he has had an amazing year.

Only questionable one for me is Buddy as captain, i would have given Hurn captain with Riewoldt as Vice.
I certainly don’t begrudge Sidebum his spot in the team. But Macrae was so much better. I was mightily impressed with how he became that dominant A grade mid in the Doggies team.

And it’s a smear on the integrity of the team that the guy who broke the season’s record for tackles, did the most pressure acts for the season, and didn’t do much wrong in his attacking play either, missed out. Smith was clearly our best over the duration of the season in a team that did manage to win 10 of its last 14 games, setting the example in the style of play required to win those games even when we were losing early. What it shows is that the AA team is not based on the balance of players who were best at all facets of the game during the year selected. Smith was best at some very important facets of winning modern football games.

I'm at a point where I don't even know some of the players named in the league's All Australian side.

Who the heck is Tom Stewart?
f9995b456f91e33a47b109d34344e587

Young rapscallion down the highway, a very handy medium defender. Watch more footy Kwhong.

He made the top 40. Means he had a good season. If he had a few mates maybe we'd be talking about a final next week instead of him missing out on the 22.

Both are players whose influence goes beyond their numbers on the stats sheet though — Smith with his pressure and defensive work, Edwards with his skill and subtle efforts.

‘Subtle efforts’ is Foxfooty’s way of saying ‘his numbers are objectively worse but we have to justify it somehow’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back