AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas - Signs a two-year extension! - 22/2

Remove this Banner Ad

Just by looking at photos its easy to see hes going to fill out and i know it was said at draft time he had already started adding weight to his frame

Literally every recruiter does that, they all pump up the incoming draftees.

No one is rolling out 'we only drafted <player> because they were the least s**t one on the board, he's probably not going to make it.'
We should've for Garrett.

So same outcome, just different name. No loss then

Completely different.

McDonagh was 25 years old when he was taken.

The 4 that I named turned 18 years old last year and all have higher upsides than Garrett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SSP player more like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of SSP, Hudson O'Keeffe please.

Goes to the end of the ruck queue but doesn't stay there.

Gets to train alongside Tsatas and the Davey twins again.

Good read in the HS the other day. And no I do not have the online version. I read the paper .
Lots of standard stuff but the good stuff was he stated he was 85kg right now and he was working on getting his mindset around lifting his tackle rate and working on the defensive side of things. Glad he has that focus as it can be hard to change habits if they let it slide early on.

Good read in the HS the other day. And no I do not have the online version. I read the paper .
Lots of standard stuff but the good stuff was he stated he was 85kg right now and he was working on getting his mindset around lifting his tackle rate and working on the defensive side of things. Glad he has that focus as it can be hard to change habits if they let it slide early on.
Hopefully it's a team wide focus and Tsatas's comment is a reflection of him buying into it (along with the wider playing group).

Hopefully it's a team wide focus and Tsatas's comment is a reflection of him buying into it (along with the wider playing group).
I think there is buy in at the moment but there should be as there are another 6 coaches working on various things compared to last year.
The issue will be it is hard to change the habits of players who have played a certain way for a number of years. The young blokes should be okay.

Thing the biggest take away is somebody reads the paper, does it still have snake tales and Hagar the horrible?

HEIR TOFAMOUS FIVE
ESSENDON YOUNGSTER LANDS HIRDY’S NUMBER AT TULLAMARINE

SAM Weideman and Will Setterfield were hardly the headline names of the trade period.
But Essendon’s bargain recruits are helping the club’s newest posterboy, No.5 draft pick Elijah Tsatas, settle into his first AFL pre-season.
Weideman lives near the Burwood boy and they carpool to Tullamarine.
“He’s a wealth of knowledge, he’s been in the system for a while now,” Tsatas said of the man he sits next to for the 40-minute journey.
“He’s a great man as well.”
At training it is Setterfield’s midfield craft which is helping improve the teenager.
Under midfield coach Daniel Giansiracusa and development coaches Brent Stanton and Ben Jacobs there has been a focus on stoppage work.
“We do lots of craft stuff as an inside midfielder, just trying to learn heaps of that,” Tsatas said.
“At stoppages is the main thing and working with guys like Will Setterfield, who has really good mid craft.”
Clubs including the Western Bulldogs wanted to hurtle up the draft order to grab the junior hurdler who made a national 100m final, but the Bombers rejected multiple trade offers.
Tsatas won Oakleigh Chargers’ best-and-fairest from just six games last year.
It was his fourth junior best-and-fairest and plenty of peers thought he was the pick of the talent pool.
Draftees Matthew Jefferson (Melbourne), Max Gruzewski (GWS), George Wardlaw (North Melbourne), Cameron McKenzie (Hawthorn) and Alwyn Davey Jr (Essendon) all said last year that Tsatas would’ve been their No.1 or No.2 choice.
The Bombers, who have long had an undersized midfield, liked Tsatas’ bigger size, power and speed.
They thought that was exactly what their engine room required.
“I’ve definitely put on a few kilos in the gym, which is good,” Tsatas said.
Listed at 80kg on Essendon’s website, Tsatas said he now tips the scales at 85kg.
Tsatas has a nose for the Sherrin — he averaged 33.8 disposals in the NAB League and had 29 in his only Vic Metro appearance.
Essendon fans who have followed Tsatas on Instagram might’ve noticed he also has a nose emoji in his bio. Why?
“The family,” Tsatas said. “We’ve got Greek background so I get a bit of stick about my nose being big.”
Tsatas has checked into the No.5 locker made famous by James Hird and is lapping up the intelligence around him.
“It’s a cool feeling,” he said.
“I feel really privileged to be in that position (No.5) and I’m surrounded by some pretty good players in the lockers, which is awesome to pick their brains.”
Inside midfielders led by Zach Merrett and Darcy Parish have taken Tsatas under his wing because he is being groomed in that role.
Merrett has been a joy to train alongside. Asked who was sizzling in the summer, Tsatas said there was one standout you couldn’t go past.
“Zach Merrett. He’s super skilful and his years on the field just show at training,” he said. “He’s got a wonderful left foot and he finds the footy and uses it so well. It’s very obvious as an onlooker. He’s a gun.”
Tsatas will have another familiar face at training next week when his Oakleigh Chargers ruckman Hudson O’Keeffe begins training at Tullamarine with one list spot up for grabs.
“Big ‘Huddo’, I played with him over the few years at Chargers, so super keen to welcome him into the fold,” he said.
There’s also been plenty of learning for the boy who will study commerce at Deakin University.
Tsatas spent Friday and Saturday at Marvel Stadium for the Player Leadership and Development Conference, which was a joint venture between the AFL Players’ Association and the AFL that combined the Induction Camp and AFLPA’s Directors and Delegates Conference.
“It was awesome,” Tsatas said.
“Obviously seeing everyone again was good, seeing all my mates from interstate was awesome.
“There were a couple of (Wesley) schoolboys there. Coby Burgiel was drafted to West Coast, so it was good to see him again.
“The AFLPA were awesome with all the education stuff we got to do. There were a lot of rotations and things and I got a lot out of it.
“Obviously there’s an extended amount of responsibility now that we play on AFL lists.
“So in that regard we were just learning all about the fineprint about gambling and sports betting and stuff like that.”
Retired champion Joel Selwood spoke on Friday about life as a professional.
He told the draftees to be “CEO” of themselves and pointed out that some would have two-year careers and others would spend 16 years in the system. Selwood’s message was to look to be respected more than liked at their clubs.
Tsatas is learning to respect the defensive side of his game after averaging just 1.3 tackles in 2022 in what was the one knock on the midfielder. It seems everyone at Tullamarine is.
“We’re smashing that at Essendon. It’s been a massive focus for us, defence, so we’re continually developing that everyday,” Tsatas said.
But the wow factor is Tsatas’ ability to power from the inside to the outside.
Recruiters thought there was a lot of former Bulldog skipper Ryan Griffen in the way he plays. But Tsatas views himself more as a Chad Warner-type.
“I love watching him play,” Tsatas said. “Definitely the power and the way he gets from inside the stoppage to outside as well.”

Grfifen... perfect comparison. Thats the best ive seen. Like the Warner one aswell except hes going to be much bigger and not as tenacious at the footy imo

Final 8 in national hurdles, means he has to be quick and explosive

Im surprised he didnt have a noticeable result in the 20m sprint, but watching him on the footy field he seems quick enough (Also that there still testing 20m on a basketball court in joggers)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back