Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

You knew he was on from that very first crunching tackle on Petracca.
I have been underwhelmed with Issac this season....but that all changed after last Sunday. Your observation is a good one, add all the one percenters and then put the class on top and it was a defining performance. He was so impressive, and if he can continue that form into the next little bit, we could be in for a great ride. His versatility and hunger for the contest were first class. His was probably the most complete performance across the AFL last round. I am excited to see what he can bring this weekend.

Taking a mark like that deep in defence, late in a close game that is an unofficial final in a seasom defining game...special.

Deserves MoTY.
The mark itself would get it, but you are right...the whole context around that mark makes it absolutely high risk and just so much better.

I have been underwhelmed with Issac this season....but that all changed after last Sunday. Your observation is a good one, add all the one percenters and then put the class on top and it was a defining performance. He was so impressive, and if he can continue that form into the next little bit, we could be in for a great ride. His versatility and hunger for the contest were first class. His was probably the most complete performance across the AFL last round. I am excited to see what he can bring this weekend.

I have thought he has been off since he got concussed in the Richmond game. Played that great cameo last quarter against North but nothing else until the Collingwood game. We can't underestimate the results if concussion. Back in town now at his very best. Makes a huge difference to the team.

If he can start putting it altogether and become just that little most consistent within a game, he'd have to be a favourite to win a Brownlow over the next five years. And what I mean about consistency within a game is that often he'll have super dominant quarters but then be quiet for a while.

I think sometimes I forget he's still only 22 and hasn't even hit 100 games yet and put too high expectations on him.

I think sometimes I forget he's still only 22 and hasn't even hit 100 games yet and put too high expectations on him.

We also have to remember that he had a season nearly completely destroyed by glandular fever.

I expect next year he is truly going to go up a level.

The annoying thing is that Heeney is always being compared to other youngsters around his age bracket (Merrett, Bontempelli, Kelly, Cripps, Oliver etc.) who have come on very quickly in their careers seemingly out of nowhere to become stars, and often in teams that aren't yet top sides, so their performances gain even more appreciation. Players are different, some reach their peaks early, others take a little longer and have a steady rise to their peaks, like Martin and Dangerfield for example.

Watched a top 50 marks of all time vid recently...that mark on Sunday was seriously right up there.

I wouldn't put it on Sampi's level yet. I mean he was literally standing completely vertical on his opponent. Ironically both were against Melbourne

I wouldn't put it on Sampi's level yet. I mean he was literally standing completely vertical on his opponent. Ironically both were against Melbourne
Andrew Walker's will always be a favourite. The true mark of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* me, Robert Walls and Tim Lane were such good commentators and run rings around the current crop (bar a few exceptions). Not even in how much they know about the game, but how they expressed themselves and captured moments and articulated the play.

Last edited:

Andrew Walker just needed some jail time, then he might have had a chance at winning MOTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back