Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

The risk with ross was that he was already a ready-made player - with a mans body, mature head playing against kids. The scope and potential for improvement is small. We knew what we were getting but the risk was that we needed him to take an extra step from being an average AFL player to a good AFL player or role player. Whereas RCD is a different type of risk - he is either a boom or bust

A. Banik.

Same with Jack Graham. I suspect the same will be with Will Martyn. The game has gone past these types.
James Worpel goes alright, but I think you're partially right. I think these kids will be solid B+ graders that every midfield needs one or two of, but they're not gonna be match-winners.

My favourite was the silky butterfly Corey Ellis.
Days worth of biased and over0-hyped stats from his VFL outings against Frankston and Coburg to brinwash me into thinking he is a star in the making, when all you had to do is watch with the naked eye and realise there was nothing there.
Ans then the whole 'he'll come back to bite is when he leaves us. ;)
Ditto for Lennon.

CEllis had some great points. But he was slow, didn't do repeat efforts and wasn't hard. In our team that pretty much 3 strikes and you're out. IN Carlton right now he'd probably be their 3rd best mid :p

James Worpel goes alright, but I think you're partially right. I think these kids will be solid B+ graders that every midfield needs one or two of, but they're not gonna be match-winners.
Worpel is better than Ross, Graham and Martyn but he definitely fits that vanilla mid type that we seem to love. There’s a few running round these days. Keays, Sier, Constable, Worpel, Harmes, Anderson, S. Ross, etc.

The risk with ross was that he was already a ready-made player - with a mans body, mature head playing against kids. The scope and potential for improvement is small. We knew what we were getting but the risk was that we needed him to take an extra step from being an average AFL player to a good AFL player or role player. Whereas RCD is a different type of risk - he is either a boom or bust
Probably why he slipped to 43 in the draft. But he has the tools to transition as he has already displayed. Graham was another who was a ready made, although I think Ross will be a better player.

Can't have been an easy year for Ross, so far he has played 7 games, but only 3 have been full games, the rest as the sub where he has come in late in games or not at all which makes it hard to build consistency/momentum in a year.

Add to that he has been asked in each of his 3 years to change his body/game style to fill a different role. Started as an inside mid, then asked to play as a HBF last year and now they're seemingly asking him to play as an outside midfielder. Versatility is a good thing and hopefully by having him exposed to the different roles it gives him a better chance to make it as he gains experience and feels more comfortable in different roles.

Lets not forget the kid isn't even 21 yet and like a lot of others from the 2018 draft is effectively in just his second season in terms of his development and being able to play proper games week to week.

Can't have been an easy year for Ross, so far he has played 7 games, but only 3 have been full games, the rest as the sub where he has come in late in games or not at all which makes it hard to build consistency/momentum in a year.

Add to that he has been asked in each of his 3 years to change his body/game style to fill a different role. Started as an inside mid, then asked to play as a HBF last year and now they're seemingly asking him to play as an outside midfielder. Versatility is a good thing and hopefully by having him exposed to the different roles it gives him a better chance to make it as he gains experience and feels more comfortable in different roles.

Lets not forget the kid isn't even 21 yet and like a lot of others from the 2018 draft is effectively in just his second season in terms of his development and being able to play proper games week to week.
The bloke would be gutted. Imagine getting dropped this week with all the outs we have. Papers stamped round 8 would be distressing for a young kid. Lousy management, and I don't say that very often. He had 14 possessions at half time last week, more than most of the side had by the end of the game.

He had 14 possessions at half time last week, more than most of the side had by the end of the game.

I think that's why they've ran him on a wing - try and improve his decision making and disposal to get them closer to the level they need to be. The tackling and inside ball winning side of the game is not really his problem, it's what comes next after he's got the ball in hand that's been letting him down.

Unfortunately, it's also one of the hardest things to improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol Ross omitted. But he’s a gun
Clearly Dimma reads bigfooty.
'Looks like the general consensus from the filthy degenerates of the internet is that Ross needs a string of games to get his form back.'
OUT: ROSS (omitted)
*throws a bag of popcorn in the microwave*
'and now we wait.'

I think that's why they've ran him on a wing - try and improve his decision making and disposal to get them closer to the level they need to be. The tackling and inside ball winning side of the game is not really his problem, it's what comes next after he's got the ball in hand that's been letting him down.

Unfortunately, it's also one of the hardest things to improve.
It didn't stop him a couple of years ago, confidence must be shot.

Probably why he slipped to 43 in the draft. But he has the tools to transition as he has already displayed. Graham was another who was a ready made, although I think Ross will be a better player.
Good point- overlooked by all clubs until mid 40s of the ND. How many players make it that are drafted that late. Will have a guess and say one in 5 or 6. Yet we all have such high expectations .
Can’t see him being a better player than Graham

The funny thing is i remember posting a very impressive highlight reel of Peter Wright on here through the mid-season & it being shot down as "well, yeah thats a highlight reel from 3 years ago.

I also remember Dean Polo looking like a world beater in his first fit of games, the list of kids with impressive 1st year takes that dont make it is pretty long (ot at least take 4-5 years to actually reflect that early potential).

I want to believe in Jack but i just havent seen in in 2020 and 2021. If we were Nth Melbourne, Gold Coast, Hawthorn - I would definitely be playing this kid as a starting midfielder and getting as many games into him as i possibly can. The problem is when you are tryin to win a three-peat, you dont have the luxury to roll with the kids to develop them quickly - they need to fight for a position that is viable. My main point is at this stage he is hasn't really been good enough to take a serious midfield role & his lack of ability to play anywhere else roots him. Jack Graham was able to get games and experience as a pressure forward who rotated. Jack cant rotate as his slow reactions and poor inside 50 deliveries make him a liability.

You would have to think he is going to get his chance over the next month either way, as the cupboard is bare. I really hope he can get some form together and turn it around - we desperately need him, RCD & Naish to do that otherwise we are going to be looking at a couple of years outside the elite field
Ross is at least getting a few games. And he's being replaced now with RCD, Naish, Hugo so at least we're blooding young guys. Ah well Mansell stayed IN. Long year hope the VFL team go a bit better. See how Caddy goes. I liked Miller & Biggie last game. Like to see Cumberland fit too.(listed as injured again)
Wright is in my supercoach team so I keep a bit an interest. Draper got injured so Wright's playing every week. Couldn't get a look in at the Suns. CJ's got less of a body of work to look at than Wright, but will be snapped up by someone. Suns depth ruck?

Last edited:
It didn't stop him a couple of years ago, confidence must be shot.
A couple of years ago he had a fully fit & practically peak Prestia, Cotchin, Lambert, Edwards, Martin playing next to him. Makes life a lot easier for your 8th best mid. Without that luxury & more responsibility on him, his flaws are more apparent & its not that uncommon for players to be early peakers. Look at Polo, Plunkett, McGough etc. All one trick ponys that got found out fast.

If neither Ross or Caddy can get a game atm with so much inside mid depth out, then u got to think they are on a quick road to nowhere. Unless something changes I would be making a lot of list changes at seasons end. Trade out Ross, caddy for very late round picks to clear the cap space - good chance Cotch, Houli & jack retire.... us the cap space to get Cerra over. We need top end young talent - I back in the club to find good players late in the draft & via the rookie draft. Free up cap space & get Cerra

The bloke would be gutted. Imagine getting dropped this week with all the outs we have. Papers stamped round 8 would be distressing for a young kid. Lousy management, and I don't say that very often. He had 14 possessions at half time last week, more than most of the side had by the end of the game.
Let's be honest, his 14 touches were vfl level at best. Touches dont equate to being useful, he has generally been a flow killer- he hurts us out there. The cats were likely happy to allow him to take possesion because of this.

Not found
Let's be honest, his 14 touches were vfl level at best. Touches dont equate to being useful, he has generally been a flow killer- he hurts us out there. The cats were likely happy to allow him to take possesion because of this.
right now I think he’s gone, he hasn’t shown anything in his midfield game time at the top level (playing him wing waste of time).

Can’t help but think we haven’t helped his cause by completely changing his body shape since that ankle injury. His running abilities were never going to be the deciding factor on whether he made it or not. Inside/contested ball is his major strength and losing that size has not helped him compete against the bulls

right now I think he’s gone, he hasn’t shown anything in his midfield game time at the top level (playing him wing waste of time).

Can’t help but think we haven’t helped his cause by completely changing his body shape since that ankle injury. His running abilities were never going to be the deciding factor on whether he made it or not. Inside/contested ball is his major strength and losing that size has not helped him compete against the bulls
I don't understand why we constantly don't play him to his strengths.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back