Player Watch #50: Ben Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching all of Ben's goals from last year again, it's plain to see that he isn't getting anywhere near the time and space, 1v1's or free kicks he enjoyed last year.
He's obviously down on form but he's being aksed to play a contested pack mark role and the delivery to him has been miles apart from the previous season.
He takes the oppo team's number one defender and keeps their interceptors honest as well as bringing the ball to the ground for our crumbers to do their work.
Unless we play Max and/or Jackson in a permanent forward role, I don't see him being dropped any time soon.

He takes the oppo team's number one defender and keeps their interceptors honest as well as bringing the ball to the ground for our crumbers to do their work.
Unless we play Max and/or Jackson in a permanent forward role, I don't see him being dropped any time soon.

This is the problem. I don't even care about his goals right now because he's not gonna take pack marks but he's doing a horrible job getting it to ground. Mitch B and Fritsch both do it better. He's the weakest bloke his size I've ever seen.
I'm not even bothered about his goals cause if you sit it up on the lead for him he kicks 2-3 a game but he can't constantly be out marked because our crumbers have nothing to work with.

I sense a BIG game coming from my man Tofu & Beans Brown, I really do. Maybe not this week but it's coming.
I’m on board. It’s going to happen. I feel certain. And then I plan to indulge in some well earned crowing

It's an early call, but JVR seems to be much more the crash and bash style forward. Maybe we trial him and Brown whilst we wait for TMAC and Jacko to return.

It's an early call, but JVR seems to be much more the crash and bash style forward. Maybe we trial him and Brown whilst we wait for TMAC and Jacko to return.
While I agree he is more suited to our style, he should be aiming for debut Rnd 1 next year. He's put on 5kgs, but for his bash and crash style, he's going to have to have another preseason or two in him to sustain it. Put on more weight, have some more sessions with our mids and get used to the gameplan. He'd be playing if it was 2014. Thankfully we can take our time with him. He looks a beauty though. Geez, if only Weid would come good. We'd be set with those two moving forward.

While I agree he is more suited to our style, he should be aiming for debut Rnd 1 next year. He's put on 5kgs, but for his bash and crash style, he's going to have to have another preseason or two in him to sustain it. Put on more weight, have some more sessions with our mids and get used to the gameplan. He'd be playing if it was 2014. Thankfully we can take our time with him. He looks a beauty though. Geez, if only Weid would come good. We'd be set with those two moving forward.

I reckon the argument is building to give him a home and away game or two this year. Always easier for young players to launch into Round 1 next season if they've had a taste of it. First few games at AFL level for a key forward are mainly about finding out that AFL defenders are a shitload better than VFL defenders.

And if he gets 4 disposals and 0 goals it's not like we're significantly down on what our other key forwards are able to do in the current setup.

Is his knee giving him grief? He's looked slow as * recently even on the lead up the ground. Might be why he can't get into any space or contest better.
Or a bloke with already horrible athleticism and physicality is declining

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before we have to worry about Brown playing well, he first needs to stop his opponents out marking him at every contest. He can't even half a contest at the moment. You can pay any suburban footy player to come in and get the ball to ground.

Did anyone see the footage of Brown on 'On the couch' being extremely timid when the ball was there to be won on the ground. He literally bad pedalled, he didn't want anything to do with it.

Could Ben Brown be retiring at years end.... 😬

Wouildn't suprise me

Debilitating knee injury, 30 at the end of the year, has a passion for coaching and life outside footy and has just won that elusive flag.

Would be a Dees cult hero. His form at the pointy end of the year last year when Tmac was not firing was pivotal to our flag chances. His hands were unreal in that final's series.

Wouildn't suprise me

Debilitating knee injury, 30 at the end of the year, has a passion for coaching and life outside footy and has just won that elusive flag.

Would be a Dees cult hero. His form at the pointy end of the year last year when Tmac was not firing was pivotal to our flag chances. His hands were unreal in that final's series.

Like * he is.
He's a bloke who fell into a premiership side and I won't remember his for much more than that.

Ive got no hate in particular towards Ben, not his fault we gave him the contract we did, just would be best for the team if he did retire, frees up even more cap. (though im sure hes not walking away from his final two years without a decent payout)

Paying a bloke 500k a year to not play as a key forward and not tackle. No thanks. Him and Weid can both take their fairy asses and float off into the sunset

He's on more than that I think mate. From memory 700 ish. :grimacing:

Ive got no hate in particular towards Ben, not his fault we gave him the contract we did, just would be best for the team if he did retire, frees up even more cap. (though im sure hes not walking away from his final two years without a decent payout)

We gave him 4 years? Christ Almighty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back