Player Watch #50: Ben Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd give my *en left arm to see our forward line kick some JTG's like the Casey Globetrotters right now.

When we have JTG's Harmsey's misses Melk by 20 metres. :$

Do Rude and Nick want their own thread where they can pat each other on the back for OTT takes?

Not everything is black and white.

Glad he stood up in the GF when we needed him because Tmac had a shocker. But in hindsight trading him in was a weird move as he doesn't fit into our gamestyle at all.
We desperately needed a KPF and he was the bet available and came at a cheap trading price

I don't know how anyone can say we got burnt by trading him in when he helped us win a premiership. A bit like Boyd at the Bulldogs, helped win a premiership for the club so it was worth it imo

Last edited:
We desperately needed a KPF and he was the bet available and came at a cheap trading price

I don't know how anyone can see we got burnt by trading him in when he helped us win a premiership. A bit like Boyd at the Bulldogs, helped win a premiership for the club so it was worth it imo
The deal was fine. If he could retire though that would be nice

Maybe we need to give Tulip his own game day thread incase he has one of his famous overreactive meltdown's about a player when we are losing?
Sounds good. Am I famous for that? I feel like things have been a bit quiet in the 10 years since I won POTY, good to be known for something :$

I'm not saying it's definite... but it's something that's been partially discussed, and if you're partially discussing something like that, then the mindset is not where it needs to be anyway.

Sounds good. Am I famous for that? I feel like things have been a bit quiet in the 10 years since I won POTY, good to be known for something :$

You won POTY? Holy s**t. I need to start treating you with far more respect than I do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peoples obsession with contract length is nothing short of strange to me. Yeah 4 years to Brown, 7-8 years for Trac and Oliver and 6 years for Brayshaw. How about we lose Trac, Oliver and Brayshaw to other clubs and replace them with Matt Crouch, Liam Jones and Nathan Wilson so we can offer them 2 year contracts to. Smart idea!

I've got no issues with the initial offering of 4 years for Ben Brown. He gave us depth in a premiership season. It paid off and now its time to cut our losses.

He'll be remembered by me as a spud that could kick straight provided he got the ball, which was about 4 times a game.

He's on more than that I think mate. From memory 700 ish. :grimacing:

He was negotiating for that at North, around 750k if this link is to be believed: North Salary for three years.

I am sure that I read he was on something around 500k to 600k. His contract expires in 2024 so he will be 32 at the end of that year.

He certainly seems to bring the ball to ground quite often. So bang for buck I think Melbourne have a good deal.

Peoples obsession with contract length is nothing short of strange to me. Yeah 4 years to Brown, 7-8 years for Trac and Oliver and 6 years for Brayshaw. How about we lose Trac, Oliver and Brayshaw to other clubs and replace them with Matt Crouch, Liam Jones and Nathan Wilson so we can offer them 2 year contracts to. Smart idea!

I've got no issues with the initial offering of 4 years for Ben Brown. He gave us depth in a premiership season. It paid off and now its time to cut our losses.

He'll be remembered by me as a spud that could kick straight provided he got the ball, which was about 4 times a game.
This gave me whiplash

Youre so concerned about always appearing to be right that you talk absolute nonsense....you say it was the correct decision to give him a 4 year deal (this is only becoz you were on board with bringing him in at the time of signing, lets face it) while now saying we should cut him a year later coz hes a spud.

Not sure if youre aware but nobody is taking his contract, he cant be "moved on" meaning even if we were to cut him, his current contract would still be in our salary cap. Thus we would be carrying dead money for the next two years and making it a terrible contract that people should obsess over.

If we keep using your method of handing out 4 year deals to "spuds that could kick straight provided they got the ball, which is about 4 times a game" and cutting them 2 years in we'll be in the bottom 4 before you know it.

Youre so concerned about always appearing to be right that you talk absolute nonsense....you say it was the correct decision to give him a 4 year deal (this is only becoz you were on board with bringing him in at the time of signing, lets face it) while now saying we should cut him a year later coz hes a spud.

Not sure if youre aware but nobody is taking his contract, he cant be "moved on" meaning even if we were to cut him, his current contract would still be in our salary cap. Thus we would be carrying dead money for the next two years and making it a terrible contract that people should obsess over.

If we keep using your method of handing out 4 year deals to "spuds that could kick straight provided they got the ball, which is about 4 times a game" and cutting them 2 years in we'll be in the bottom 4 before you know it.

Only free agent contracts stay in the cap.

Only free agent contracts stay in the cap.

Whats the difference between this and say Adam Treloar when Collingwood traded for him from GWS and had buyers remorse and had to pay a large sum of his contract to get someone to take him?

Whats the difference between this and say Adam Treloar when Collingwood traded for him from GWS and had buyers remorse and had to pay a large sum of his contract to get someone to take him?

They paid his contract because other clubs refused to take the whole thing so Collingwood donate a % of their cap in those years to Treloar. Brown retires he isn’t going to another club he’d get a payout from us. When Tom Boyd retired at the Dogs he didn’t get the 1m a year for the remainder of his deal, he would have gotten a one off payment that came out of the dogs cap the year he retired.

They paid his contract because other clubs refused to take the whole thing so Collingwood donate a % of their cap in those years to Treloar. Brown retires he isn’t going to another club he’d get a payout from us.

Im not talking about retiring though, Danster said its time to move on from him. To which I said we cant just cut him without it being included in the cap.

What youre talking about is up to Brown, not to us. If he wants to hold us to the contract and not accept a buyout hes more than welcome to do so. Polec has held North to his for years after they gave him a terrible deal.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back