Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

Something must be wrong on this thread..
It's the off-season and all the BF dietitians are no where to be seen..
Looking forward to the annual, 'just needs to stop running this preseason and put on 5kg' post in here..

Looks like Marty trained yesterday with the returning 7 - jeez, that snuck up on me. Anyway according to the training report over on Blitz (on ya Jackie), Marty had a spew trying to keep up with some of the returning guys. Even if it is fan propaganda to an extent, it's pretty heartening - they sound determined,fit, tight as a group. Not that Marty can afford any calorie loss: that part is worry:$

Genuinely excited to see him take that next step in his career with the returning guys. Looked to take a big step forward midway through 2016. With the added depth and experience across all lines, really, really hoping we can see Marty begin to impact some games from behind the ball.

Will never be a muscle ball but his reading of the play and ball drop sets him aside from other small/medium defenders imho.

Big things expected in 2017 for the MartyParty

Hope to see him take the next step this year. If I was a betting man though I'd back him to be to play a fair bit of 2s footy and out of best 22 - 25.

Part of that is the depth of the list. Bigger part is him. Too many holes in his game for me

Hope to see him take the next step this year. If I was a betting man though I'd back him to be to play a fair bit of 2s footy and out of best 22 - 25.

Part of that is the depth of the list. Bigger part is him. Too many holes in his game for me

Let's just see what things look like in the NAB cup, for a start.

He's a 22 year old veteran of 51 games who has just stopped growing (grew from 186cm when drafted to 190cm in the last 18 months).

The different parts of his game are coming together nicely, now his body needs to catch up. There is scope for dramatic improvement to be made in his next few pre-seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope the club has found the balance between getting bigger and retaining his speed - Feel his speed has dropped off in the last two years.

Think that is more poor endurance.

It's not until the last half of this year, when he was playing a more defensive role, that he seemed to finish off games well.

Think that is more poor endurance.

It's not until the last half of this year, when he was playing a more defensive role, that he seemed to finish off games well.

That's another way of viewing the situation - Think Gleeson can make better use of his speed.

w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Filling out nicely.

My boy for 2017.

Engage cyborg-mode!

I still view him as being at a bit of a cross roads with his career but I'm more optimistic with him than most. Colyer came to his cross roads and passed with flying colours. Other guys like Jetta and Reimers didn't make it. I think Jerrett is probably heading down the same path (he just has no presence in matches he's involved in).

Back to Gleeson I agree with others saying he turned the corner in the last 10 games of last season. Plus he has finally actually put on some weight and looks like an AFL player and I have heard multiple references to him being one of the hardest trainers. He has some great strengths to his game including his aerial work which actually makes him pretty well suited to play on medium sized guys or smalls as long as they aren't absolute lightning quick.

I see him as being the guy that plays on the second most dangerous smaller forward. I think you probably have one back pocket type guy playing on the most dangerous one and gives him super tight attention (currently Baguley) and he might take the second most dangerous and provide rebound as well as being accountable to his man.

I still view him as being at a bit of a cross roads with his career but I'm more optimistic with him than most. Colyer came to his cross roads and passed with flying colours. Other guys like Jetta and Reimers didn't make it. I think Jerrett is probably heading down the same path (he just has no presence in matches he's involved in).

Back to Gleeson I agree with others saying he turned the corner in the last 10 games of last season. Plus he has finally actually put on some weight and looks like an AFL player and I have heard multiple references to him being one of the hardest trainers. He has some great strengths to his game including his aerial work which actually makes him pretty well suited to play on medium sized guys or smalls as long as they aren't absolute lightning quick.

I see him as being the guy that plays on the second most dangerous smaller forward. I think you probably have one back pocket type guy playing on the most dangerous one and gives him super tight attention (currently Baguley) and he might take the second most dangerous and provide rebound as well as being accountable to his man.

Andrew Mackie type?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back