Retired #9: Brendon Goddard - Retires a winner - Thanks for everything BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

What if we win the flag next year, what then?
Oh sorry, yknow...

Your first thoughts if we win a flag next year will not be about Goddard. Trust me.

When I hear Derek Kicketts name I remember how he got dropped for the 93 grand final. However when I think about the 93 flag first thing I think of is winning the 93 flag. 2000 Dean rioli missed out. There's always hard luck stories, Bob Murphy, Brett Deledio.

I doubt in 20 years time if we win the 2019 flag anyone is going to think, what a shame we retired Goddard at the end of 2018.

Request the league to play St Kilda early in the season for once and give him a lap around the ground with his family so both sets of supporters can see him off the way he deserves.

And the life membership shout is a great one.

That was really hard to watch.

My mind strays to the things you read, or things that are spoken about a person from the outside. The criticisms.

This is just another reminder that these are just people, trying their absolute best. Brendon more than others was the embodiment of hard work. What this club is becoming was built off what he brought every day he was here and it will stay with this group after hes gone.

God i hope we can send him out a winner on Friday.

I wanted to hug him

Your first thoughts if we win a flag next year will not be about Goddard. Trust me.

When I hear Derek Kicketts name I remember how he got dropped for the 93 grand final. However when I think about the 93 flag first thing I think of is winning the 93 flag. 2000 Dean rioli missed out. There's always hard luck stories, Bob Murphy, Brett Deledio.

I doubt in 20 years time if we win the 2019 flag anyone is going to think, what a shame we retired Goddard at the end of 2018.
Tony Buhagiar, don’t ever forget Tony Buhagiar.

And Rotten Ronnie Andrews. Andrews is a good example of the correct decision being made despite the veteran, who held the club together during tough times, believing he had more to give. Ronnie did have more to give. In fact he gave most of Collingwood’s score to them in their Prelim final smashing by the young blokes who had superseded him at Essendon.

I feel for him. IMO we have made the right call. We have the players who can cover the role he plays even though he is playing good footy. Despite him putting in a massive effort to defend better he is simply not that player. 250 plus games of being the number 7 in the back half has pretty much killed off an instinctive defensive actions and right now the game is about sides having players who can play in a team defence.

It sucks that he came to us and we where on the verge of possibly something and it all went to crap and he never got another shot at playing in a good finals team. Have to admit I shed a tear myself hearing him speak. Thanks BJ. Sorry we where not in a position to deliver you something better.

Been an absolute champion through a very rough patch for our club.

Right call by us but I do hope he can get a lifeline with one of the teams struggling for professional leaders around the club.

Had admired him from afar whilst he was playing with the saints, my favourite non-essendon player at the time, then we snagged him in the first free agency move. Has been immense throughout his whole time here, I was one of few that really believed he could still play a role next year but I guess all the factors, including the Popes last few weeks has contributed to the decision, which is understandable. Clearly from his video, which was very hard to watch, he is one of the most competitive and passionate players and teammates that we have ever had here. Was responsible for setting a lot of the standards that seem to be paying off with the teams most consistent period of games recently. Makes it even harder knowing that he would love a run in a finals series and that we look like that is where we are headed in the not too distant future.
His influence will be felt through our next period of success, I have no doubt.
Thanks for everything BJ :heart:

Might need a new big footy identity now, have got another redhead in mind as my love child, don't worry DERO it's not the little Corgi

Had admired him from afar whilst he was playing with the saints, my favourite non-essendon player at the time, then we snagged him in the first free agency move. Has been immense throughout his whole time here, I was one of few that really believed he could still play a role next year but I guess all the factors, including the Popes last few weeks has contributed to the decision, which is understandable. Clearly from his video, which was very hard to watch, he is one of the most competitive and passionate players and teammates that we have ever had here. Was responsible for setting a lot of the standards that seem to be paying off with the teams most consistent period of games recently. Makes it even harder knowing that he would love a run in a finals series and that we look like that is where we are headed in the not too distant future.
His influence will be felt through our next period of success, I have no doubt.
Thanks for everything BJ :heart:

Might need a new big footy identity now, have got another redhead in mind as my love child, don't worry DERO it's not the little Corgi
That's ok mate! I think the Corgi needs all the love he can get right now.

Bagulay, Dea and J. Merrett are not really in the same category.
didnt say that ...i said they would all be nervous about retaining there spots....jerrett today....say no more....we are looking at making space for a special trade recruit or 2 im thinking( go hard at dylan shiel pleseeeeeeee)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think last year at this time would have been the right time for him but he stayed on 1 year too long imo. He's had a great career but as with most players he needs to let it go and move on with his life.

I would have preferred to have pumped 10-12 games into Ridley this year and maybe about 4 more of Francis.

My favourite Goddard moment:

Peaked at the peak of the game. He was the AFLs best player for a moment of time.

I had Goddard as just about the best player in the game at the end of the 2010 season. Apparently his next pre-season wasn't that flash, and he never hit the same heights again, but was still a very good player.

Right decision, great career, very successful & financially rewarding - should retire & go out a reasonably contented man.

Tony Buhagiar, don’t ever forget Tony Buhagiar.

And Rotten Ronnie Andrews. Andrews is a good example of the correct decision being made despite the veteran, who held the club together during tough times, believing he had more to give. Ronnie did have more to give. In fact he gave most of Collingwood’s score to them in their Prelim final smashing by the young blokes who had superseded him at Essendon.

Agree re the budgie, but disagree with Ron Andrews - well, it was right to move him on post 83, but he should have played in the GF in my opinion. Dipper was shi%%ng himself before the 83 GF (as were half the Hawthorn team), because the year before, Ronnie had half KO'd him & smashed his nose to pieces - and the word was out that Ron was going to make it his last game, and planned to take half the Hawthorn team with him.
When Hawthorn saw him playing in the 2's, they couldn't believe it & were rapt.

Agree re the budgie, but disagree with Ron Andrews - well, it was right to move him on post 83, but he should have played in the GF in my opinion. Dipper was shi%%ng himself before the 83 GF (as were half the Hawthorn team), because the year before, Ronnie had half KO'd him & smashed his nose to pieces - and the word was out that Ron was going to make it his last game, and planned to take half the Hawthorn team with him.
When Hawthorn saw him playing in the 2's, they couldn't believe it & were rapt.
I have spent a few late evenings after the missus is in bed watching highlights of the early 80s, re-living the early days of my footy passion and I can tell you that Ronnie was well and truly beyond it by then. Most of the time he was struggling to keep up and if he couldn’t he’d just give away stupid free kicks. Sure, he’d have had a fearsome presence but he’d also become a bit of a liability.

Outstanding career. Outstanding character. Outstanding clubman.
Some might say an outstanding campaigner, but he was too busy striving to be a Champion to take notice.
Thanks BJ.
May the wind always be at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
May the pretzels never make you thirsty.

I hope the club can make similar difficult but necessary decisions on our coaches in future, something we have failed at miserably over the years.

Posted earlier in the year that whether EFC played finals in 2018 would play a big part in whether Goddard plays in 2019 - Play finals, perform well in finals and Goddard would be around in 2019.

I hope the club can make similar difficult but necessary decisions on our coaches in future, something we have failed at miserably over the years.
Maybe so, but that's a topic for another thread.

I have spent a few late evenings after the missus is in bed watching highlights of the early 80s, re-living the early days of my footy passion and I can tell you that Ronnie was well and truly beyond it by then. Most of the time he was struggling to keep up and if he couldn’t he’d just give away stupid free kicks. Sure, he’d have had a fearsome presence but he’d also become a bit of a liability.

Yep, was at every one of those games, including the GF. Not a great day, in fact, it was horrendous.

Agree he'd slipped but I still would have played him...and Sheeds will never admit it publicly, but he has regrets that he didn't play him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back