AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

Club have already stated it was just a corky. Probably an ACL.
Dylan has passed away peacefully, succumbing to injustices sustained in the preseason match against Carlton. A short service to remember his career at Essendon will be held at Windy Hill, followed by light refreshments provided by the ladies at the Essendon Bowles club, who are still salty that we tried to run them off their land.

Up next: Barrett article theorising Shiel went off because he couldn't cop playing against the team he almost decided to go to at the very last minute and trade period because he was racked with guilt.

Up next: Barrett article theorising Shiel went off because he couldn't cop playing against the team he almost decided to go to at the very last minute and trade period because he was racked with guilt.

They do say that pain is mental, so clearly the knock to the side of the knee only reinforced the pain Shiel was already feeling inside.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-26/barrett-blues-circling-time-ticking-dylan-shiel-thinking

Not sure if this belongs here or delusional pearlers. Mods feel free to change.

Classic Barrett article, speculation, sensationalism and fluff at the front of the article, and then the truth of the matter buried near the end.

"How Carlton almost pulled off the Shiel steal"

"Ultimately, the Blues didn't have ample scope to trade in Shiel, as they were not relinquishing their overall No.1 pick in the 2018 draft, because even by then they had become obsessed with Sam Walsh, and the offer of their first selection in the subsequent year's draft alone wasn't going to be enough."
good ole Dame.
Had this written for when the deal fell through....then it didn't. So tweaked it, waited til our 1st game and released it.

Shiel games for Carlton: 0
Shiel games for Essendon: 1 and counting

good ole Dame.
Had this written for when the deal fell through....then it didn't. So tweaked it, waited til our 1st game and released it.

Shiel games for Carlton: 0
Shiel games for Essendon: 1 and counting
I thought he wrote essentially the same article shortly after the trade period. I assumed this was the old article, guess he's got a chip on his shoulder over the result or something. I suppose we can look forward to rumours about a pending trade to Carlton for the remainder of Shiel's career.

I thought he wrote essentially the same article shortly after the trade period. I assumed this was the old article, guess he's got a chip on his shoulder over the result or something. I suppose we can look forward to rumours about a pending trade to Carlton for the remainder of Shiel's career.
i think his problem is we don't fit the narrative.
Essendon doing what essendon does during trade week is no longer deals being abandoned (cos who doesnt want to give up a 1st rd pick and future AA CHB for a kid who played 7 games).
Now it's about Smith, Shiel, Stringer, Saad all landing at bomberland and improving the list.
but that's not his thing to write about.
Or the fact that in 2013, the list had a lot of holes in it and we had just been banned from 2 drafts.
5 years later, there isn't a glaring need in our 22. Still boring. Why celebrate that though.

Apparently a corked quad, not a "corked knee". Expected to be available for JLT and very professional approach to getting it right asap. As you might expect :p

From the injury update video on the essendon website (no article to link to yet).

The reports of him feeling "uncomfortable" have been greatly exaggerated.

I really hope he comes out and tells Barrett how it really went down.

Would prefer he never gave Barrett anything. If he wanted to come out and say something go with Roco or someone else.

Yes but he can bag Barrett in the process.

"Yeah Rohan, the leg was a little sore but nothing to ever give cause for concern, I was always going to get up for this week. Wouldn't have a clue where Barrett got his info from, anyone would think he didn't talk to anyone at the club and just made it up"

Carlton had already flown Shiel by private jet to a flashy lunch in Noosa, Hawthorn had the greatest coach in the caper leading its chase, and St Kilda had about $1.2 million a year piled high on the table.
For a while, it looked like the Bombers, whose offer was about $400,000-a-year less, were fourth in line.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/7e6584bee3f5c4342b81c41aa0099ab6

Was going to post this in the Shiel thread on the trade board but it's locked..

HA HA HA Essendon offered the least amount and he still chose us over the Hawkes splashing cash around.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back