Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [Herald Sun] LDU has parked contract talks with the club & is expected to command offers of more than $1m a season

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, our contested work is dreadful, both on the ground and in the air. But our pressure and the broken or not attempted tackles are infuriating (hi Dyl). But what amazes me is how, knowing this, we have adopted a game plan that requires manic pressure and elite endurance. We try to press as high as Collingwood but don't have the players or will to make this work. It is like we are trying to expose our own weaknesses.
They brought in outside run and focused on running in preseason and mistakenly thought we'd become a fit enough side to handle a high press?

But our players don't do themselves any favours even at their current fitness level. When the ball is in dispute (both in and out of stoppages) they regularly overcommit forward thinking we're going to win it (despite weeks of evidence suggesting otherwise). They play like delusional optimists in that way and are so far out of position, they can't man up when the opposition wins the footy. The defence is then under pressure and players in the zone often roll the dice, push up in an equally hopeful way.

If they were more realistic when the ball is in dispute we'd stop the opposition a lot more even with our sub-standard conditioning.

Let's assume signing Xerri long term is the right decision - What do you think they're projecting for him that we're not seeing on field?

I'm going to assume they're hanging their hat on something beyond metrics..
If he can simply increase his output by 50% in marks (not asking much here) and be able to take a few more contested marks around the ground - he would then become a genuine aerial threat, not just between the arks but inside 50 also.

Once he does that he can then afford to sprint forward from a stoppage and drag his opponent deep, so as to provide an attacking target inside 50. Can you even see see this happening on a consistent basis? I get the teams struggling but we’re nowhere near being able to afford a luxury like this.

Forget sprinting forward, if he was confident with his hands he would put himself behind the ball and dare the opposition to kick it near him. But he’s not there yet.

You look at Gawn, Goldstein, English, Marshall they all get involved in transition play and provide overlap run. Thats the level of the best of the best.

Currently his grunt work is modelled on a contested game that offers minimal reward to the side. The stoppage game died a decade ago.
Everything he does after the ruck contest is the opposite of what you’d want from a modern ruck.

So highlighting all these KPI’s there is going to have to be a sonic boom improvement to justify the number 1 ruck mantle. He is 25. Not 21. This is his 7th year in the system.
The man tries hard but god you’d want to see more. So much more.

I actually agree with all this.
We’re no good. Our ball movement off half back is suicidal not to mention we have poor wingmen, with one who can’t anywhere near it.

Back to the middle, not every clearance is going to be dished up on a platter.
X competes hard - that is not being denied.
But what quality of his can be judged as genuinely above average or elite?
X is just a battler for now, but I think he could become more than that. But he is at least breaking even in his contests, I'm not sure how many others can claim that. Or could claim that they work as hard as he does.

I actually agree with all this.
We’re no good. Our ball movement off half back is suicidal not to mention we have poor wingmen, with one who can’t anywhere near it.

Back to the middle, not every clearance is going to be dished up on a platter.
X competes hard - that is not being denied.
But what quality of his can be judged as genuinely above average or elite?
I have no doubt X would be leading the tackle count for the club by the length of the Flemington straight, not just total numbers but effective, as opposed to attempted, broken, or allowed disposal anyway etc etc, agree we need more but thats a start.

If a club rates him at that kind of contract figure then it would have to be at minimum, a top 5 draft pick and a highly rated mature player in the 25 to 28 age group and then maybe even some more.

It can't be a one for one trade.
If it was St Kilda, my response would be Darcy Wilson(bring him home), Phillipou(highly rated under preforming this year) and your first(pick up one half of the Whitlock boys), otherwise good luck next year.

Last edited:
X is just a battler for now, but I think he could become more than that. But he is at least breaking even in his contests, I'm not sure how many others can claim that. Or could claim that they work as hard as he does.

He’ll always be a battler imo, and I’m cool with that. With a talented midfield we only need a competitive, aggressive ruck.

To my eyes, it looks like he’s only focused on his own game at the moment though, Im not knocking him because despite his age he’s pretty green so that’s to be expected. The next step for X is changing his approach towards what best suits our mids, and also not getting beaten in marking contests, doesn’t necessarily need to clunk them but nullify the oppo tall from taking marks down the line.

Anyway, back to LDU, I’d rather hang onto him even if he wants out this year (no idea if he does) because the Saints or other suitors will have a mid first round pick at best, which will blow out with academy/FS selections.

Don’t want to lose him at all but would rather band 1 FA compo.

Another clip for LDU

He doesn't watch North games and sure as hell doesn't watch every game over the weekend. Yet he gets paid to voice his opinions, have a seat on the AA selection committee and show little video pieces ^like that one^ in which he doesn't do the editing to put that together but will present it on national television as his own work.

Kane Plagiarism Cornes.

He's def going to worth a band 1 when he goes into free agency. Let him walk there and we get another top 4 pick.

This would be 2025, we need to be mindful of 2028 tas coming in.

So in 2026, 27, we should be getting some free agents who could fill in the midtier roles.

The talk of mckercher going to tas when his contract expires has become comical in that his contract ends in 2026, so if we extend him, i highly doubt we would extend him for only 1 year but prob a fairly long one, like til 2029/30

Like I said this year hunter Clark and LDU want to play together Clark could not get to us so ???? Pick 6 next years first and Howard and membrey might have to do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't watch North games and sure as hell doesn't watch every game over the weekend. Yet he gets paid to voice his opinions, have a seat on the AA selection committee and show little video pieces ^like that one^ in which he doesn't do the editing to put that together but will present it on national television as his own work.

Kane Plagiarism Cornes.

I honestly don’t think he believes half the stuff he says. It’s pretty hard to stay relevant in the AFL media space as an ex footballer, especially as a mediocre ex footballer, every year there’s newly retired players that want to go into the media, they usually last a couple of years and then they slowly get phased out, eventually start doing gambling adds and then they’re gone.

Corn is very good at staying relevant. I have never followed the WWE but he’s basically the AFL media equivalent of a heal.

He's def going to worth a band 1 when he goes into free agency. Let him walk there and we get another top 4 pick.

This would be 2025, we need to be mindful of 2028 tas coming in.

So in 2026, 27, we should be getting some free agents who could fill in the midtier roles.

The talk of mckercher going to tas when his contract expires has become comical in that his contract ends in 2026, so if we extend him, i highly doubt we would extend him for only 1 year but prob a fairly long one, like til 2029/30

How about no.

Ummm, reality doesn't really care about our feelings mate, he is going
Is that so? I've read that he's going to St Kilda, I've read that he's going to Collingwood and heard a whisper that Adelaide would be VERY interested if he doesn't resign with us, so what that tells me is he can't end up at all three clubs can he?
David Tennant GIF by Doctor Who

If it was St Kilda, my response would be Darcy Wilson(bring him home), Phillipou(highly rated under preforming this year) and your first(pick up one half of the Whitlock boys), otherwise good luck next year.
They have an AA fullback.. player swap and their first round pick and i’ll be happy to trade him there. Wilkie 29 next year. Get 4 great years from a AA full back and their first round pick. I think thats not too bad. Thoughts?

I think LDU stays to be honest. Hearing what Sheezel said, im not sure the noise is accurate. I think they’re frustrated but I dont believe they’ll turn their back on the club. CZ and LDU

Last edited:
Well, just when you thought the world had gone completely mad...

There’s economic inflation, but there also exists trade inflations in a sport that cannot reasonably facilitate these moves without completely destabilising the entire league and market.

Cal Twomey was right in his assessment that if this amount of money is thrown around willy-nilly, especially when just a few short years ago tabling a million dollar plus contract was ludicrous, and now we’re here, is going to cause a mass exodus and movement across the league.

Frankly I find it disgusting because it creates a mid-year and yearly cycle now of players constantly moving and you can kiss club loyalties goodbye as we welcome in a Kevin Durant-esque approach to movement to the league for the purposes of chasing silverware but primarily money. It needs to be nipped in the bud before it cements and gets out of hand.

All true and our defensive spread continues to be appalling. We don't look like getting the ball back from the opposition unless they kick a point. They can make mistakes and we still don't touch it or them.

That said, a side's ability to cleanly use the footy in and immediately out of stoppages before any spread is important. Can the side shrug off tacklers in close and cleanly release players out the front? Or are they going sideways, panicking and hacking it around the corner? And on the flipside, how well does the side harass the opposition at the stoppage - hold on to tackles and know when to man up (not get drawn in) to prevent damaging clearances out the front?

We would rank very poorly in all of those areas if stats could actually be kept on them, whereas good sides would rank highly and so don't need to win raw clearances. But stats aren't available on them and so it's left to the eye test. The clearance stats we see are crude - completely lack nuance - scores from stoppages would be the most useful stat but that doesn't tell the 'why'. But given our deficiencies, if we lose clearances we're absolutely stuffed.

Still think contested ball and contested marking differential is indicative. You can't keep losing contested situations around the ground (out of stoppages) and fix it elsewhere.
One of the worst feelings experienced while watching this year is the feeling of hope one gets when the opposition kicks a goal.

It’s the only opportunity we are getting to move the ball forward of centre…bloody depressing.

They have an AA fullback.. player swap and their first round pick and i’ll be happy to trade him there. Wilkie 29 next year. Get 4 great years from a AA full back and their first round pick. I think thats not too bad. Thoughts?

I think LDU stays to be honest. Hearing what Sheezel said, im not sure the noise is accurate. I think they’re frustrated but I dont believe they’ll turn their back on the club. CZ and LDU
the above trade was under the assumption they offered LDU 15m, you’re trading a player a clubs offer 15m for a full back and a pick which would probably end up about 9ish pre fatherson/academy selections.

I hope LDU doesn’t go but that is crazy baller money. How do you even quantify a trade like that for a contracted player?

I’ve always thought St Kilda is the most likely threat for no other reason than Linton St being 30 minutes closer to Rye Surf Beach than Arden St.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why would you want to go to the Saints with their spectacularly unsuccessful history? One flag in 127 years.

Then again, he may be into burning dwarfs. They are okay at that.

He would have signed then, no questions asked. Not hold off contract talks. But i hope you're right! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back