Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

We already have Papley going through the midfield. McLean and Amartey as the back up ruck. Not sure we can have too many other forwards who think they are mids in the middle.

Assume Wicks will want to have a go as well.
Wicks has played a fair bit in the middle at lower levels. Pretty sure he knows where his future lies.

I'm on the record as a Wilbur supporter.

800k long term contract justified by him spending time as a mid a la Heeney is a massive risk. Hayward hasn't even played mid for our NEAFL / VFL team, unlike someone like Dawson who was racking up 30+ on a regular basis.

I think if he is to stay with us, it will be as a medium forward and as such, should be paid accordingly.

Not having a go at you GUH, but this is an example of what happens with the media and the overall AFL landscape where a throwaway line from a journo gains traction and then becomes the accepted truth.

Sam Edmund delivers a nothing burger;
The word on the street is that perhaps the role hasn't always been to his liking up there...

First time I've ever seen it mentioned, but now the narrative will be that Hayward may leave, not because of the $s supposedly on offer, but because he's always wanted to play midfield and if he does leave we'll be forever hearing it was because we didn't give him midfield minutes.

PS I'm off now anyway because the word on the street is that Penelope Cruz does fancy me after all.🍻
I'm pretty sure GUH's comment was made with tongue FIRMLY planted in his cheek. That's why I liked it.

I think Hayward is a great player and would love for him to re-sign. He deserves a Premiership or two with us.

6 year offer from blues
Same club that offered Zac Williams big dollar, long contract on the hope he would turn into a top line mid, although at least he had played a few really good games as an on baller (I think one of them was against us).

Sucks because we are not going to be able to match the kind of money Hayward is being offered and because we are good this season our first round pick is not going to be brilliant.

So we will likely get pick 18 or 19 in compensation for Hayward, which is way unders for what he is. I think we paid about that for him in his draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sucks because we are not going to be able to match the kind of money Hayward is being offered and because we are good this season our first round pick is not going to be brilliant.

So we will likely get pick 18 or 19 in compensation for Hayward, which is way unders for what he is. I think we paid about that for him in his draft.
Maybe we should match.

I'm pretty sure GUH's comment was made with tongue FIRMLY planted in his cheek. That's why I liked it.

I think Hayward is a great player and would love for him to re-sign. He deserves a Premiership or two with us.
Greats are players like Paul Kelly , Hayward is a good AFL player

He’s already in the top 25% of incomes at the Swans. He’s being looked after
Yeah I don't get why he'd want to leave. Settled here, already on good coin... doesn't seem like he's unhappy?

Maybe Carlton are just testing his resolve offering 6 years. Not sure the Swans would be initially offering that kinda length?

Who knows... Carlton are certainly not in a better position than us as a team.

Some of us are bad enough at slating him when he has a quiet game, can you imagine how much he'll get slaughtered in Victoria and at Carlton?

Yeah I don't get why he'd want to leave. Settled here, already on good coin... doesn't seem like he's unhappy?

Maybe Carlton are just testing his resolve offering 6 years. Not sure the Swans would be initially offering that kinda length?

Who knows... Carlton are certainly not in a better position than us as a team.

Some of us are bad enough at slating him when he has a quiet game, can you imagine how much he'll get slaughtered in Victoria and at Carlton?

AFL players always make dumb decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back