VFL Aarts & Thompson Invited To Combines

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure there was an article on the AFL website or something earlier in the year which named Mannagh as one to watch as a mature age recruit. Surprised if he hasn't received an invite to the combine.
There was a HUN report a month ago regarding him and Lentini as two good kids to watch out for. Lentini and Lowson at Coburg both resigned for 2019 and haven’t got an invite or haven’t accepted ( uncertain)which is astonishing considering they’ve both had the phones ringing by AFL Clubs.
Lentini is 19 and leading possession holder in the VFL. Lowson missed games with an ankle injury and hasn’t come back as sharp. Looking at some of the names that are going those two lads with Mannagh would perform well against that mix. Mannagh I would have selected before Thompson , but I suspect the Tigers want to look at hard bodied mids bc of our needs.

Last edited:
There was a HUN report a month ago regarding him and Lentini as two good kids to watch out for. Lentini and Lowson at Coburg both resigned for 2019 and haven’t got an invite or haven’t Accra which is astonishing considering they’ve both had the phones ringing by AFL Clubs.
Lentini is 19 and leading possession holder in the VFL. Lowson missed games with an ankle injury and hasn’t come back as sharp. Looking at some of the names that are going those two lads with Mannagh would perform well against that mix. Mannagh I would have selected before Thompson , but I suspect the Tigers want to look at hard bodied mids bc of our needs.
Mannagh numbers are consistently fairly impressive ~20p and gets amongst goals most weeks , reckon he might be on radar

Mannagh numbers are consistently fairly impressive ~20p and gets amongst goals most weeks , reckon he might be on radar
Yeah I reckon he would have to be.
Apparently coming from Coburg chatter , VFL clubs sign up their players bc their transfer fee goes up to a maximum of 5k rather than the paltry 2k the AFL gives them if they lose an unsigned player to the AFL. It’s some loophole and I’m not sure if it’s true. If so , then there maybe some tricks going on with standalone clubs.

Testing them in the same conditions as blokes you know , I'd have thought was better.
I'd say that has already been done, but no harm in having them attend combine and getting a look at them under a more pressured environment. We're not trying to hide a Clayton Oliver or Josh Dunkley type. When nominations were done I doubt we would have known anyone hadn't nominated them. As it is at least 1 other club asked to see Aarts and Thompson would have been on clubs radars last year to some degree and it might not have even been us who nominated him, that was more a presumption on my part.

From what ive heard stengle and bolton are gone.
Aarts is a good replacement. This thompson lad could be a good replacement for miles..
They will only be late round speculative picks. Smiles all round
That wouldn’t surprise as they’re good enough to be getting a senior , or a chance at very least. The comments on mannagh games sound like the type of small forward mid we rate , tackling , speed and can kick a goal. Only 20-21 , a star in Riverina , 180cm , would be a decent late selection that could really improve as a FT footballer

Surprised Manning isn’t involved. Killed it in the under 23 series with Thompson
Would love sean mannagh him on our list next year, true natural footballer
And knows where the goals are, and does back himself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aarts brings the energy

Tackling, chasing and providing a ferocious, infectious energy at ground level – it’s the mantra of Richmond’s plethora of small forwards at both VFL and AFL level.

For former Beaconsfield player, Noble Park listed player and emerging leader of the Tigers’ VFL program Jake Aarts, he has all three components of his game in spades – it’s the reason he is on the radar for many AFL clubs come draft night later this year.

Hard work and an opportunity to grow his game at Punt Road for four years have now culminated in the dynamic forward being chosen as one of the 13 VFL prospects to take part in the state draft combine after an impressive year at state level, which will be held in October.

Turning 24 later this year, Aarts said he didn’t expect to be chosen for the combine, but understands the footballing landscape – every player pulling on a VFL jumper has ambitions to take the next step to the elite level.

“It was pretty surprising at the time, to be honest – I sort of hadn’t been thinking about it at all lately, and when I got the call from our footy manager, I was surprised, but it was a good result for sure,” he said.

“I wouldn’t say it (getting drafted) hasn’t crossed my mind at all – the last couple of years playing VFL I’ve thought about it more, but this year it’s been more about the footy and trying to make finals.

“I haven’t really focused on whether clubs have been looking at me, but it’s great, for sure.”

It’s often spoken about that the culture down at Punt Road is rock solid, and that it allows each individual involved with the VFL and AFL program to flourish and play to their strengths – Aarts is testament to that, he lives and breathes it on a weekly basis.

“The culture at Richmond has been really good since I got to the club – in my first year (2014), there was always got a bit of divide between the VFL and AFL boys, but each year I’ve been there it’s got better and better – it’s something we work on each year, and it probably started four years ago,” he said.

“It hasn’t just started; it takes a long time to get a good connection which is something we talk a lot about with the AFL boys as well. When you get a good system, and a strong culture, everyone buys into it, and all the boys have.

“With the success of the AFL boys last year, and to an extent the VFL boys, it’s had a big impact on me, and it makes you want to keep playing, the hard work is all there is to it for us as a club.”

Aarts plays to his strengths; he applies extraordinary pressure with the likes of AFL-listed players Tyson Stengle, Shai Bolton, Liam Baker and Sam Lloyd often around him at ground level suffocating opponents with their intensity – it’s the Richmond way, and Aarts is right at home.

“The way I play my footy, it’s not really changed since my junior days,” he said.

“I love bringing energy and tackling, and you’ve got to defend as well, it’s not all offense, and being a small forward at Richmond, they need that in our team defence – it helps the midfield and backline with our forward pressure, so that’s what we work on.

“Nothing’s really changed for me, it’s just how I play.”

In last year’s state combine, the likes of Dom Barry (Port Adelaide), Bayley Fritsch (Melbourne), Zac Langdon (GWS Giants) and Liam Ryan (West Coast) impressed enough to earn an AFL opportunity.

Aarts will use those examples, plus a number of others flourishing at AFL level, as inspiration for what’s ahead in his footballing journey.

“It sort of hasn’t been until late I’ve realised (the impact of mature age players) – Lambo (Richmond premiership star Kane Lambert) obviously came into the system until he was like 23 and has had a big impact straightaway, and you look at Geelong with Tim Kelly, he’s been amazing,” he said.

“Lately I’ve noticed all these things, and the impact they have at AFL level, so you do sit there and think that you could make an impact at AFL level, because you’ve already done the four years of playing at a high standard of footy, that’s how I see it.”

In a recent game against Geelong at GMHBA Stadium, VFL coach Craig McRae praised the potentially AFL-bound Aarts in his VFL report, a big indication of his potential.

“(He’s) such a terrier. Low possessions, but just his tenacity was unbelievable. He’s a really, really good leader in terms of his competitive nature. We love him in our team. He was one of our best players on the day,” he said.

It’s been a strong four years for the Beaconsfield product, and in 2019, anything’s possible for the tenacious forward with a strong appetite to run, chase and tackle

Thanks for posting that GoTigers2015 , I look at Jake and think he's AFL ready (or close). Would fit right into our program at senior level. Does anyone know if we'd take him ??? I'd think he'd be worth it....I'd think we'd at least be discussing the young man..

Thanks for posting that GoTigers2015 , I look at Jake and think he's AFL ready (or close). Would fit right into our program at senior level. Does anyone know if we'd take him ??? I'd think he'd be worth it....I'd think we'd at least be discussing the young man..
Does he get enough of the ball, his possies are rarely higher than 15 or so , I would have thought a mature age vfl recruit would need to be Really killing it , racking them up most weeks , can’t recall him ever having over 20p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back