ABC Grandstand interview

Remove this Banner Ad

The reports of "Wallis screaming" with a broken leg, took me back to 1985 when I was 15. I fractured my tibia and fibula and was screaming when the paramedics were taking off my runners. When the paramedic was on the radio discussing my condition, he said "low pain tolerance". I guess I was "soft". That pissed me off then and does now in relation to Wally.

I had some old St Kilda bag behind me call Wallis soft and told him to get up. I usually keep my cool at the footy and imnot proud of verbally abusing a 70+ year old but her comments were ridiculous and she needed to be told to pull her head from her arse. Typical Saints supporter. Whilst some are ok the majority seem to be muppets.
Atleast we can safely say she won't live to see another St Kilda premiership.

Heart breaking for you guys. I hope Mitch comes back quick, as bad as it sounds at least a clean break like that has the potential to mend quickly, he could be training during preseason and back playing next season. Wishing him, and Redpath, all the best.

I had some old St Kilda bag behind me call Wallis soft and told him to get up. I usually keep my cool at the footy and imnot proud of verbally abusing a 70+ year old but her comments were ridiculous and she needed to be told to pull her head from her arse. Typical Saints supporter. Whilst some are ok the majority seem to be muppets.

Unless this old bag has experienced a severe break involving one, two or more bones at once, she has no idea what she's on about.

I broke two bones in my arm (compound fracture - i.e bone through skin) and I didn't have access to the green whistle. More pain than you can imagine, so I would have loved her to call me soft to my face.

I've decided to take a break from football for the rest of the season and consequently this will be my last post.

Ive been watching the Bulldogs since I was young enough to watch anything. Footy is a great form of escapism for me when I need a break from life and want to pretend that a bunch of grown men kicking a ball around is supremely important. And it really can be such a beautiful and unifying thing. The highs of football are absolutely exhilirating. Watching Stringer and Bont performing miraculous feats, watching the ever reliable Dale Morris save the day over and over, watching guys like Clay Smith overcoming adversity and attacking every contest like its his last. Its truly inspiring and uplifting.

But then there is the dark side of footy; injuries. Now obviously injuries aren't exclusive to footy, but the brutal and physical nature of the game mean concussion and other serious injuries are prominent. Admittedly we have had a terrible run this year, but you know there is a problem when you go into games now expecting that there will be at least one LTI. And these injuries are frustrating from a team perspective. We're never able to get our best team on the park and as a result we are unsettled structurally and havent been able to improve much this year, if at all.

But then theres the really bad injuries. Libbas ACL, Bobs ACL, Clays ACL, Redpaths ACL and now the absolute most heartbreaking one to occur recently, Wallis' broken leg. These are the injuries that hurt me so much that the result of the game doesn't matter anymore. I remember that these are real people rather than just magnets on a whiteboard.

Unfortunately I just can't stomach it anymore. I've known too much pain as a Dogs supporter and it doesnt feel like there is enough upside. I will most likely be back for next year but I just dont think Ill be able to find the passion again this year and really couldn't care less if we win or lose the rest of our games.

Goodbye for now.

I've decided to take a break from football for the rest of the season and consequently this will be my last post.

Ive been watching the Bulldogs since I was young enough to watch anything. Footy is a great form of escapism for me when I need a break from life and want to pretend that a bunch of grown men kicking a ball around is supremely important. And it really can be such a beautiful and unifying thing. The highs of football are absolutely exhilirating. Watching Stringer and Bont performing miraculous feats, watching the ever reliable Dale Morris save the day over and over, watching guys like Clay Smith overcoming adversity and attacking every contest like its his last. Its truly inspiring and uplifting.

But then there is the dark side of footy; injuries. Now obviously injuries aren't exclusive to footy, but the brutal and physical nature of the game mean concussion and other serious injuries are prominent. Admittedly we have had a terrible run this year, but you know there is a problem when you go into games now expecting that there will be at least one LTI. And these injuries are frustrating from a team perspective. We're never able to get our best team on the park and as a result we are unsettled structurally and havent been able to improve much this year, if at all.

But then theres the really bad injuries. Libbas ACL, Bobs ACL, Clays ACL, Redpaths ACL and now the absolute most heartbreaking one to occur recently, Wallis' broken leg. These are the injuries that hurt me so much that the result of the game doesn't matter anymore. I remember that these are real people rather than just magnets on a whiteboard.

Unfortunately I just can't stomach it anymore. I've known too much pain as a Dogs supporter and it doesnt feel like there is enough upside. I will most likely be back for next year but I just dont think Ill be able to find the passion again this year and really couldn't care less if we win or lose the rest of our games.

Goodbye for now.
Stick fat with the doggies mate. If you're going to support them through the good times, then you have to do it through the tough times as well. Losing Wallis is s**t. But look at the inclusions we will have over the next month.

Last edited:

Goodbye for now.
Keep watching,I've been heaps sadder than this following the mighty doggies. I wouldn't be surprised if we beat Geelong in Geelong next week.

Keep watching,I've been heaps sadder than this following the mighty doggies. I wouldn't be surprised if we beat Geelong in Geelong next week.

It goes one of two ways.

When you're kicked in the guts as much as we have been, you either come out firing and start kicking back with rage or you crumble.

Hope it's the former. I would love to spoil the Cats party and stick it right up em.

Goodbye for now.
Is that you Danny from Dropp Street?
Chin up mate ...... We are all pissed today.

It goes one of two ways.

When you're kicked in the guts as much as we have been, you either come out firing and start kicking back with rage or you crumble.

Hope it's the former. I would love to spoil the Cats party and stick it right up em.
Spot on. This will be a great challenge for our young players to see what they are made of and personally I have great faith in our entire list. It's also a great challenge for the coaching staff to get the right player playing the right roles and to show they learnt from our last loss to Geelong. Morris will be a huge out but the other two are terribly sad as they are much loved players facing lengthy and gruelling recoveries. It's not season ending for the club. The goal needs to be to make the finals and win a final. This bar isn't to high and is still very achievable. I believe we can still do it.

The higher we rise the harder it is to stomach the setbacks. At least mediocrity isn't so tough on the nerves :(.
Yeah, but mediocrity is boring. Bring on the next 2 years i say. Wasn't gonna happen this year anyway and in a way the injuries might give both players and med staff a wake up call. Players coz they know all they have is here and now while they're running out there and med staff to lean toward the side of not taking risks with our players when there's someone else that can step up when needed.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was listening to 774 after the game trying to find out exactly what happened to Moz, Wally and Red. Being at the game makes it difficult to know for sure at times. That cross from the rooms was gut wrenching. You could tell that it affected the 774 commentators the same way (including Gerard Whately and Sellers Maclure) from the tone of their voices. For an incompromising ex player like Sellers to be moved like that, you know the emotional impact is bad.

Don't think we should be too hard on any bigfooty supporter base overall, it was just those 2 norf flogs and 1(maybe 2) from st kilda.

Most of em have been alright and it's been comforting to get all the nuetrals from other clubs in here giving their commiserations and well wishes for our hard luck. Most people have been pretty compassionate I'd say.

Haha saints fans on their board taking the piss asking why the teammates were crying. They are pure scum. relying on heroics from Roo again to carry them over the line.
Remind them about Hudgson crying after we came back from 6 goals down to beat them in the last!

christ.

Can we be a little more mature about this than resorting to mud slinging with Saints fans? There are good and bad eggs in all but let's not have any thread digress to the gutter.

Keep it simple and appreciate comments from opposition supporters who post messages of support.

Don't think we should be too hard on any bigfooty supporter base overall, it was just those 2 norf flogs and 1(maybe 2) from st kilda.

Most of em have been alright and it's been comforting to get all the nuetrals from other clubs in here giving their commiserations and well wishes for our hard luck. Most people have been pretty compassionate I'd say.
Am I the only one who hates it when opposition team posters give commiserations after a loss? No way they would congratulate us if we had of won.

Do you really think JoffaBoy would be coming in here congratulating us after a Saints loss?
No idea. I don't know his form and TBH I don't worry too much about what they do or say on other boards. I almost never go there. I don't appreciate trolls from other boards but I take most posts from other supporters at face value, good or bad.

I guess the distinction you are making is certain posters wouldn't come here congratulating us if we had won. You are almost certainly right in that regard. I took your post in a general sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back