Academy v Father-Sons

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a very simple solution.

Club rights to academies should get the arse altogether for any club that is older than a generation.

Gold Coast and GWS get 20 year capped rights from the date of their formation to a single academy player yearly. Once 20 years lapses, academy player rights are extinguished. Father sons go back to the way they were.
Nope.

Until development pathways are as strong in the northern states then no way.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not until you acknowledge the significant advantage your club has over the non Qld & NSW clubs.

Until then, I can't take anything you present seriously.
that’s a two way street, as you refuse to acknowledge the significant advantage the Vic clubs, and to a lesser extent the SA & WA clubs have over the Northern clubs.

The TAC Comp is hardly comparable with an outing in the NEAFL.

The advanced kids in WA & SA are moved up to the 2nds or ones based on maturity & ability, they dont linger longer, e.g Tom Mitchell didnt play ones at Claremont before the Swans grabbed him under father/son.

I didn’t compare the TAC Cup to the NEAFL, I compared it to the academy series.

I didn’t compare the TAC Cup to the NEAFL, I compared it to the academy series.
The four academy teams, even when playing over agers, would barely compete with most TAC cup teams.

Brisbane didn’t play any of their over agers in their first two games, and were hardly competitive.

We just don’t have the depth in the Northern sides to field competitive teams.

Hardly surprising that Tas won with their crop of draftable kids this year.

Not surprising Syd came second, with Blakey leading the way, and not surprising Scott was so dominant for GC.

The talent just isn’t there this year for the academy clubs.

The four academy teams, even when playing over agers, would barely compete with most TAC cup teams.

Brisbane didn’t play any of their over agers in their first two games, and were hardly competitive.

We just don’t have the depth in the Northern sides to field competitive teams.

Hardly surprising that Tas won with their crop of draftable kids this year.

Not surprising Syd came second, with Blakey leading the way, and not surprising Scott was so dominant for GC.

The talent just isn’t there this year for the academy clubs.
I'm for the AFL funding the academies as long as they operate the same way they do now eg. talent identification, promotional work. Then every player goes into the ND.

Although I'm continually amazed at the inability of some to grasp the massive disadvantage the northern clubs (particular QLD IMO) have, there is just not the talent up here, the elite juniors when facing a choice of sport do not in the vast majority of cases choose Australian Rules. The reaction is over the top, you would think every academy club is drafting 3-4 guns every season, it is not happening people. IMO the NGAs will bring more talent into the southern clubs than the academies do in the north and if the mooted zones come in it's goodbye from me.

I'm for the AFL funding the academies as long as they operate the same way they do now eg. talent identification, promotional work. Then every player goes into the ND.

Although I'm continually amazed at the inability of some to grasp the massive disadvantage the northern clubs (particular QLD IMO) have, there is just not the talent up here, the elite juniors when facing a choice of sport do not in the vast majority of cases choose Australian Rules. The reaction is over the top, you would think every academy club is drafting 3-4 guns every season, it is not happening people. IMO the NGAs will bring more talent into the southern clubs than the academies do in the north and if the mooted zones come in it's goodbye from me.

I don't see the relevance of this at all.

You have a generation of father son players and you are not compelled to take any players from your state.

There is no disadvantage. However, there currently IS an advantage for the Northern clubs.

You have a generation of father son players and you are not compelled to take any players from your state.

There is no disadvantage. However, there currently IS an advantage for the Northern clubs.
The academies represent no advantage to the Northern states, while the third party payments available in Victoria represent a massive advantage to the Vic clubs.

Unfortunately I can't explain my view any better than I just did and in numerous other posts in various threads on this subject. If you can't see that the northern clubs have obstacles to sustained competitiveness in many areas then I'm prepared to concede I have nothing new left to offer.

Deja vu Snake, just get rid of clubs running/funding possible future zones, NGAs, and academies and the AFL do it.

I'm fine with leaving the father/son aspect of our game for the tradition, romance side of it.

Yes. Are you so "Sydney-centric" in your thinking that you believe a NSW academy would collapse without the involvement of your club?
Based on the past attempts of the AFL and other clubs in elite talent development in NSW, yes. Of course, you have no idea about those just as you have no clue about the current set up.

that’s a two way street, as you refuse to acknowledge the significant advantage the Vic clubs, and to a lesser extent the SA & WA clubs have over the Northern clubs.

There's nothing "two -way" about it.

It's the underlying premise of all the dissent, yet you refuse to acknowledge its existence, but then in the same stroke you have the audacity to demand people take notice of your attempts to water down the very thing you won't acknowledge!!!!

Keep your silly stunts for the halfwits.

would Sydney possibly into Darcey moore put young blakey off going to the swans ? just a thought

would Sydney possibly into Darcey moore put young blakey off going to the swans ? just a thought

Not really competing for the same position.

I don’t want Moore personally.

We have stockpiled a few picks in anticipation for Blakely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats your opinion on Blakey as an academy player LP?

Honestly haven’t seen much of him- family things have taken priority this year.

In terms of a player he suits us going forward. Will be a good addition to our side and one we won’t have to rush.

Interested in other peoples thoughts on this. My understanding is, that if the proposed suggestion was brought in, the top NGA talent wouldn't be exclusively available to the aligned NGA club. Now the article says it won't be brought in this year, but uses Tarryn Thomas as an example; if say the Bulldogs draft Thomas at pick 5, North would not be able to match the bid, and Thomas would end up at the doggies.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/indigenous-academy-backlash-20180620-p4zmq3.html

Interested in other peoples thoughts on this. My understanding is, that if the proposed suggestion was brought in, the top NGA talent wouldn't be exclusively available to the aligned NGA club. Now the article says it won't be brought in this year, but uses Tarryn Thomas as an example; if say the Bulldogs draft Thomas at pick 5, North would not be able to match the bid, and Thomas would end up at the doggies.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/indigenous-academy-backlash-20180620-p4zmq3.html

Saw this topic posted on the Port board. Said that the AFL are considering letting the SA clubs draft SA Aboriginal players and WA clubs draft WA Aboriginal players unless they're an "elite draftee". If that's the case, top 20 pick constitutes elite draftee otherwise GAGF.

Saw this topic posted on the Port board. Said that the AFL are considering letting the SA clubs draft SA Aboriginal players and WA clubs draft WA Aboriginal players unless they're an "elite draftee". If that's the case, top 20 pick constitutes elite draftee otherwise GAGF.
I feel first round should be sufficient.

No need for the GAGF comment in a mature discussion. Anyway, not like the AFL listen to the fans at all. Will be interesting to read Eddies comments about the idea.

Wow, virtue signalling clubs want to rort the system so it falls significantly in their favor. Amazing stuff.

Not one mention of Blakey either. Hilarious.

Just can the whole academy sham altogether.

I do like the idea of a top 30 or first round cap. Seems to be more in the spirit of what the academies were designed for in terms of ensuring the lesser lights get an opportunity as opposed to the top end talents being tied to clubs at a discount.

It would be better to get rid of the discounts completely for top 30 picks. For all academies.

If blakely was bid at pick 5, then swans would have to match with:
- 16, 34, 52 and 70
instead of
- 16 and 34 (34 being pushed back to pick 60).

The advantage that clubs gets with top picks under the academy system is a joke. Making it fairer won’t stop clubs from investing in talent development. It will just stop a huge advantage on draft night.

It would be better to get rid of the discounts completely for top 30 picks. For all academies.

- 16, 34, 52 and 70
instead of

The advantage that clubs gets with top picks under the academy system is a joke. Making it fairer won’t stop clubs from investing in talent development. It will just stop a huge advantage on draft night.

Hey, I'm happy to wipe it.

It was set up in the first place to give NSW & Qld markets a leg up, and the fallout in the interests of appearing to be unbiased is the bizarre statistical outlier of Tarryn Thomas.

- 16, 34, 52 and 70
instead of

Might as well make it all open market without father and son rule too. If the player are top 30 pick .Ablett ,Tom hawk ?

Father and son should just remove the discount as well.

Everyone has prieiry access to their academies and father sons. Just no draft draft day benefit.

Father son should be facilitated for all clubs with a generation of players behind them, and GC & GWS should be able to bid on a single state academy player per season for a capped 20-25 year period.

Everything else goes to the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back