Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

07b9eb10fb2e564cdb6ae2d998cb30d2.jpg

Sydney currently have Pick 3 this year.

What might of been?

Pick 3: Logan McDonald
Pick 7: Nathan O’Driscoll

Could have packaged 9 to the suns like Carlton did last year and grab Picks 17 and 20.

17: Brodie Kemp
20: Deven Robertson
30: Harrison Jones
38: Nick Bryan

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If daniher went to Sydney, he would’ve miraculously played most of the year and they would’ve won 7-9 games.

What might of been?

Could have packaged 9 to the suns like Carlton did last year and grab Picks 17 and 20.

Okay, let's break it down

1. Carlton traded 11 and 62 for 17 and 22.
2. Port traded 20 for 22 and 55, which we probably would have skipped.
3. Brisbane traded 23 and Collingwood's future 2nd this year for 22 and a future 4th, which I think we would have accepted.
4. We probably would have taken Jones at 23 based on Dodoro's comments, which means I doubt we'd have traded up to 30.

So in actual fact we probably would have been sitting on:

17: Kemp (I hope)
23: Jones
35: Bid on Coleman then take Bryan
38: Probably would have traded it to North for 50 and a future 3rd, then do the same deal with Geelong and West Coast as before

So we'd be sitting on Kemp, Jones, Bryan, Cahill and Johnson, and who knows what we'd be sitting on this year? Two firsts, two decent seconds and a stack of later picks for points.

im surprised we didnt ask the question of Papley, and they keep 9
He wanted back to Vic. We wanted players

Papley & McDonald/Hollands + O'Driscoll
Papley didn't want to come to us, and that pick 9 was presumably from the Carlton trade that they would have traded Papley for.

are we that bad
we love kicking to smalls as our main target. he'd have every chance of a coleman with us
Well the fact he nominated Carlton seems like a pretty good indication that he wanted to go there.

3. Brisbane traded 23 and Collingwood's future 2nd this year for 22 and a future 4th, which I think we would have accepted.
4. We probably would have taken Jones at 23 based on Dodoro's comments, which means I doubt we'd have traded up to 30.

38: Probably would have traded it to North for 50 and a future 3rd, then do the same deal with Geelong and West Coast as before

So we'd be sitting on Kemp, Jones, Bryan, Cahill and Johnson, and who knows what we'd be sitting on this year? Two firsts, two decent seconds and a stack of later picks for points.

MacDonald or Thilthorpe+ O’Driscoll

We would have taken Jones with 17.

Dodoro has said as much. We were looking tall and Jones is a local and a fan who we really liked.

He doesn't play games when it comes to this stuff and he has a track record with locals and Essendon supporters.

We were linked to Robertson but I reckon it would have been a Coleman bid at 22 and Bryan at 35.

Last edited:
We would have taken Jones with 17.

Dodoro has said as much. We were looking tall and Jones is a local and a fan who we really liked.

He doesn't play games when it comes to this stuff and he has a track record with locals and Essendon supporters.

We were linked to Robertson but I reckon it would have been a Coleman bid at 22 and Bryan at 35.
We were linked to Kemp as well, hence the prediction of him at 17 and Jones at 23. I doubt we would have bid on Coleman that early, we didn't do it when we took the pick upgrade to 30. Obviously he fit between Jones and 37.

Well the fact he nominated Carlton seems like a pretty good indication that he wanted to go there.
did he have other suitors? seriously can't recall.
I don't think he was quite the talent last year that he's become this year

Had we done the Shiel treatment and asked the question, might have been an interesting prospect.

Still think we did the right thing though.
He enters his peak age right now. If we can get him fit, that's a good 5-6 years of an elite tall forward.
2x 1st rounds in 2 weak drafts helps us nothing.

The gamble was the right move. even more so if Daniher stays.

did he have other suitors? seriously can't recall.
I don't think he was quite the talent last year that he's become this year

Had we done the Shiel treatment and asked the question, might have been an interesting prospect.

Still think we did the right thing though.
He enters his peak age right now. If we can get him fit, that's a good 5-6 years of an elite tall forward.
2x 1st rounds in 2 weak drafts helps us nothing.

The gamble was the right move. even more so if Daniher stays.
Yes, we actually asked if he could be that player to Sydney. He said no.

What might of been?

I have some sympathy for the position.

Basically the club’s entire strategy has been based around competing, well, now. Injuries have ruined that but that’s been the strategy, right or wrong.

That’s not all on Dodoro.

And Daniher has been THE critical player in that strategy. Losing him meant an enormous, fatal hole in that strategy.

Sydney and Daniher had clearly been cooking up this move for months, for whatever reason they thought the best approach was to drop it at the last minute and try to ram through a trade. In the months leading up Harley lied about it on the record numerous times, as did Daniher.

Had they made it clearer to the Essendon much earlier, then it may have given Essendon the ability to get searching for a replacement that the draft picks could’ve been used on.

Expect he’ll leave this year and the club has at least had twelve months to get some plans in place around a key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it’s one of those decisions that’s not perfect in hindsight but you would probably make it again all things considered.

There are probably only 10-15 guys drafted in the 2010s that can genuinely rip the arse out of a game and he is one of them, really hard to give up on that especially when he’s as home grown as you can get, you’ve developed him and he’s just coming into his best years.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s one of those decisions that’s not perfect in hindsight but you would probably make it again all things considered.

There are probably only 10-15 guys drafted in the 2010s that can genuinely rip the arse out of a game and he is one of them, really hard to give up on that especially when he’s as home grown as you can get, you’ve developed him and he’s just coming into his best years.
and you're confident he can get back, which is why you'd hold him and not take whatever you can and runn.

Club needed to know it's players and have a decent read on the group. Is it a coincidence that Merrett, Fantasia and Daniher all had smoke around after moves had been made on Woosha? Then you have senior players like Hooker and Hurley dropped from the leadership group??

Imagine spending your few years of footy career in a place where they extend the coach for 3 years then start replacing him 2 seconds later?

How many careers can this club * over and yet we are supposed to pat them on the back for keeping Daniher and not salvaging some pics and hope for the supporters?

Club needed to know it's players and have a decent read on the group. Is it a coincidence that Merrett, Fantasia and Daniher all had smoke around after moves had been made on Woosha? Then you have senior players like Hooker and Hurley dropped from the leadership group??

Imagine spending your few years of footy career in a place where they extend the coach for 3 years then start replacing him 2 seconds later?

How many careers can this club fu** over and yet we are supposed to pat them on the back for keeping Daniher and not salvaging some pics and hope for the supporters?

I missed the Merrett smoke?

Just his dropping from the leadership group despite being Vice Captain.

'Smoke' is probably me over egging it, but even still it doesn't scream stability within the ranks.
Merrett was dropped from the leadership groups for one reason. They included efforts made to the team defense in the voting amongst the players. He scored poorly and finished 7th in the vote.

Merrett was dropped from the leadership groups for one reason. They included efforts made to the team defense in the voting amongst the players. He scored poorly and finished 7th in the vote.
So no changes there with Merrett!

Was there ever a reason given for Hooker and Hurley being dropped from the leader group?

Last edited:
So no changes there with Merrett!

Was there ever a reason given for Hooker and Hurley being dropped from the leader group?
Club was looking for the "younger" leaders of the future to take over. Pretty sure this was another thing the coach was not overly happy about. Not really sure how Joe got in anyway as much as he was a super young player he was never much of a leader and he had always just played what people called Joe ball. He did things his own way.

Club was looking for the "younger" leaders of the future to take over. Pretty sure this was another thing the coach was not overly happy about. Not really sure how Joe got in anyway as much as he was a super young player he was never much of a leader and he had always just played what people called Joe ball. He did things his own way.
Is there a common denominator here - or theme?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back