List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richmond would get Wright imo. Besides Riewoldt who is their forward? Griffiths? That's it. With ruck they have Maric and hampson in which I don't rate.
Vickery? Didn't get traded, so they're obviously going to persist with him. They seem to be heavily into adding another midfielder.

Most clubs pick best available in the first round. If Wright slides to 14, it's because 13 other clubs didn't think he was the best available.

Only 8 teams have picks before us so it's 8 teams not 13. Also GWS have addressed needs with early picks in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most clubs pick best available in the first round. If Wright slides to 14, it's because 13 other clubs didn't think he was the best available.

I disagree with that Stab.. I think the clubs are filling needs.. But they will never say" we drafted player x because we needed a key defender even though he wasn't best available"..
If an inside mid fell to us surely we would not pick him up

I disagree with that Stab.. I think the clubs are filling needs.. But they will never say" we drafted player x because we needed a key defender even though he wasn't best available"..

Agree with that call. If we were picking in the top 3, then yeah you'd go for best available ... Petracca, McCartin and Brayshaw. Neither of them are KPD's or pacy outside types.
From our, not so lofty, pick 14 we have to go for needs. By that stage most of the 'best talent available' is markedly different for each club.
It's a no brainer for me.
Having said that, if Wright was available (and I don't think he will slide that far) then you take him because he is also what we 'need'.
It could be argued that we 'need' a player in every section of the park with the exception of slow, one-paced inside types.

Lever will slide! people will not risk a high pick with a kid who has done his ACL.

Personally when you have done your ACL. After surgery and months of rehab you feel your knee getting alot stronger and stable. It shouldn't be a huge issue for Lever.
Lever won't slide to 14, these men are professional recruiters not posters. If he slides all the way to us then it's happy days. If he made it to pick 10 and got picked up I would just be p*ssed off.

I think that's a bit different - I'm sure certain clubs would avoid a certain type of player if they were flush for that type already... but I don't see that as filling needs.

Clubs will no doubt target needs later in the draft, but I doubt there are many clubs with top 10 draft picks who are thinking anything other than "get the best footballer". Again, they may be willing to overlook player #5 on their list for player #6 if player #5 is a certain type of player they really don't need, but that's about it.

Pretty lazy Victorian guessing for Adelaide..." they're Adelaide so they'll give up needs based players to draft SA boys" I'm surprised they don't have Brisbane and Gold Coast passing from round 2 because there are no Qld boys left.

Douchebags
You do realise that 90% of posters here on the Adelaide Board have exactly the same syndrome? Far too many posters here are focussed entirely upon players who wore red, blue & gold at the U18 National Championships, ignoring all of the other options. Not everyone falls into this trap, but many, many posters do.

You do realise that 90% of posters here on the Adelaide Board have exactly the same syndrome? Far too many posters here are focussed entirely upon players who wore red, blue & gold at the U18 National Championships, ignoring all of the other options. Not everyone falls into this trap, but many, many posters do.

I really don't follow the draft talk enough to know but have no doubt what you are saying is correct

You'd think we would have moved on from this SA-focus. The club well and truly has. Only 11 SA boys in our current squad of 36, compared to 21 Victorian boys.

You'd think we would have moved on from this SA-focus. The club well and truly has. Only 11 SA boys in our current squad of 36, compared to 21 Victorian boys.

I think we have made some good decisions over the years.
Dangerfield over Ebert
Brad Crouch over Toumpas and Kennedy
A couple that spring to mind.

Read the article on the AFC site about Cheney and Lowden. It was nice to get a gauge on their level of enthusiasm but what I liked most was the fact that we had committed to these two players in advance. This should dispel those on here that thought the trading of these two guys was nothing more than a knee jerk reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back