Autopsy AFL 2020 GRAND FINAL - Richmond v Geelong Sat October 24th 7:30pm AEDT/6:30PM AEST (Gabba) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win the 2020 Grand Final and by how much?

• Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 122 39.6%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 79 25.6%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 53 17.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 26 8.4%
  • Draw - Tigers in extra time

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Draw - Cats in extra time

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to say i was more nervous in 2017 & 2019 and have been pretty calm this year

With all the Dangerfield must get a flag , send Gazza & Taylor off with a flag , Scott finals drama's

Does anybody think there is a little bit of extra pressure on the cats and are they playing this game too much in their heads before they runout for the game

Emma Murry was on the radio mentioning how she encourages the team and the coaches to not spend too much time thinking about whats going to happen and burnout before the game.

Just thinking about the images of Gazza,Danger,Selwood,Scott,Hawkins after a loss . Could be alot of tears

I think there was more pressure on them to win a Prelim, having lost the last four or whatever it was. I don't think the pressure is anymore than normal. I wonder really how much all the pressure talk actually matters? I remember people saying the same thing in 07, and it seemed fine.

Have to say i was more nervous in 2017 & 2019 and have been pretty calm this year

With all the Dangerfield must get a flag , send Gazza & Taylor off with a flag , Scott finals drama's

Does anybody think there is a little bit of extra pressure on the cats and are they playing this game too much in their heads before they runout for the game

Emma Murry was on the radio mentioning how she encourages the team and the coaches to not spend too much time thinking about whats going to happen and burnout before the game.

Just thinking about the images of Gazza,Danger,Selwood,Scott,Hawkins after a loss . Could be alot of tears
Definitely much more pressure in the PF having lost 4 in a row prior. Making the GF is a win for the club this year but obviously taking the flag is the aim. Seeing Gaz win one in his final game would be awesome but the fact that he already has 2, there is no 'this is your final chance' type pressure for him or the club.

I think there was more pressure on them to win a Prelim, having lost the last four or whatever it was. I don't think the pressure is anymore than normal. I wonder really how much all the pressure talk actually matters? I remember people saying the same thing in 07, and it seemed fine.

Adelaide Crows in 2017 and GWS in 2019 I would say 100% the pressure got to them

I reckon the Cats play the Gabba better than the Tigers. So slight advantage to them there. Yes, I am aware of the Tigers record at the Gabba.

Nah. I think there is more pressure on the reigning premier than there would be on a team that hasn't featured in a GF for nine years. Hawkins, Scott, Selwood, and Gary have won flags. So it's not like they feel the pressure to win one. In fact, I reckon the Cats will be pretty relaxed about things. They are in with a shot at a flag. It's an opportunity to get another for some and for others,like Danger, an opportunity to get their first. I think Danger will either have one of his best games ever, or he will choke. I know I said the pressure is on the Tigers, but really I reckon both teams won't feel any pressure at all. So, it should be a great game.

Last edited:
The AFL’s Extreme Weather Policy states that if there is lightning predicted within 10km of the stadium , the game can be delayed by up to 60 minutes , or such other period determined by the AFL .

If the game is unable to start within that time, the match will be rescheduled .

The AFL follows a principle called the 30/30 Safety Guidelines when it comes to lightning strikes, which state that if you see a flash of lightning and then hear a rumble of thunder within 30 seconds , you should stop activity and go inside.

You then have to wait 30 minutes from after the final clap of thunder before resuming activity .

If La Nina comes, the game might be called off :rolleyes:

back in the where will the grand final be held thread while people were talking about a dewy night game i was stating storms were the bigger issue!

No i dont think so at all

From a supporter point i think it has been a very good year considering if you look at the cattle they have got and Geel are $2.10 and Rich are $1.80 - and there is a reason for that - Rich are rated as the better/higher team

So as long as Geel play to a reasonable standard in the GF ( not the shiit they dished up at Metricon in round round 17 ) then if it comes up short in the GF then so be it - it is still a very good year - obviously it goes to excellent if they win the flag

All the pressure on Geel as a club - was not to go out in straight sets - or lose yet another PF - would have been 5th on the trot - and would have been a disaster - so the pressure is off from that regard

Theve done very well to make the GF - they are $2.10 outsiders - if they play well on Sat and come up short then so be it .

Biggest key in the game to me by a mile is who gets the 1st 2-3 goals ( especially with the shortened qtrs )- Geel get them - they are a confidence team - get their tails up they are hard to beat - Rich get them - the doubts go into the Geel players heads - oh here we go again

I'm praying all week

iu

I'm praying all week

iu

The only chance of "rain" will be in the form of a thunderstorm which in Brisbane typically roll around in the late afternoon (4-6pm). But, going by the charts, it doesn't look like it will eventuate. That is because the inland trough (that dotted line you see on maps) is too far west. The trough was expected to reach south-east QLD earlier, but the BOM have since changed the forecast. It now will arrive a little later (Sunday).

What about showers (over the course of hours)? The moisture needed for shower activity (in combo with the trough) won't arrive til late Saturday evening early Sunday morning. The moisture is brought in by increasing south-easterly winds. So a little too late for Tiger fans. See the diagram below. The arrows represent the wind direction and change from 10am to 10pm GF day. As you can see, the wind direction becomes more onshore by around 10pm (which is what the Tiger fans would have wanted). It's too southerly during the day for any reasonable moisture build-up. It is possible to get a sprinkle or two though, but nothing significant that will change the game dramatically.

GF_Weather_.png

For those weather nerds interested to read a bit more about the forecast for GF day and particularly how the dew point and higher temperatures of the sub-tropics might affect the game, check this article out:

GF Day weather

Edit: It looks like 4 days out from the game was enough to change things (4 days isn't much either in terms of forecasting). Looks like the trough is moving a bit faster than what was thought 4 days ago. I was pretty comfortable in my knowledge that there would be no real precipitation, but it seems like the BOM has changed their minds. The whole developing system is very dynamic though so it makes sense. But that also means their 2-6mm of precipitation forecast may not even eventuate.

I still think the forecast of a few mms of precipitation won't have much of an effect on the game. What usually happens in Brisbane is when an arvo storm rolls through from the west it dumps and runs so to speak. Sometimes after there is some shower activity. But I reckon if anything it will be small storm after 6pm.

The BOM changes their forecasts more frequently than say 10 years ago. So it's a bit of a lucky dip what we get tomorrow. The patchy rain comment by the BOM is very interesting though.

Last edited:
I think The Cats will take it.

Dangerfield has gone to a new level. He doesn't want that record of most games without a GF appearance. He's on a Lebron James-esque mission to win at all costs.

Gee wiz. Close call this one. I will likely have 2nd thoughts later in the week.
For now...

Ive had CATS as faves most of the year due to the obvious determined demeanor they have displayed this year, and the better spread of reliance over more players this year compared to last. I am also thinking this great RFC side does have vulnerabilities (which team hasn't, perhaps Blues 79 - 82, or Hawks 80s come closest to having most angles covered) against oppo on their game with dynamic and unpredictable forward lines which can catch out their effective but predictable defense. No knock on predictability btw, remember Lions trilogy teams? Very predictable but how do you stop them?

Also, Tiges form this year has not been as hot as CATS, they have however been good enough and won most big games sans Lions final.

I just think Cats are the form side. So, back the form side.

Caveat - it's RFC, finals hardened, done it before, great coach, self belief, relaxed.

Cats have refound their earlier season form, they can be prolific scorers, something Richmond this year not so much.

A final caveat, pressure wins finals. Richmond's all ground pressure on show versus port, versus cats scoreboard pressure if they bang a few through in quick order.

Cats by 2 goals, with no great confidence. I wouldn't put my house on it but would risk putting my wife up.

can we get a photo of your wife please. Just need to make sure it’s worth the bet!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide Crows in 2017 and GWS in 2019 I would say 100% the pressure got to them

Richmond's defensive game worked to perfection. Made Adelaide (us) panic and GWS just got completely smothered. I think Geelong will be a tougher match up for Richmond.

Geelong premiership window closing, there is huge pressure to win this GF.

I still think their window is still open for a few more years. We talk about their superstar players (PD, Ablett, Selwood, Hawkins), but there are other players on the team (Menegola, Guthrie, Stanley, etc) nobody really speaks about and they do a superb job.

I still think their window is still open for a few more years. We talk about their superstar players (PD, Ablett, Selwood, Hawkins), but there are other players on the team (Menegola, Guthrie, Stanley, etc) nobody really speaks about and they do a superb job.
all are getting old, not every year a team has a chance of contesting a premiership, that's my point. - was not meant to be insulting.

all are getting old, not every year a team has a chance of contesting a premiership, that's my point. - was not meant to be insulting.
It shouldn’t be, the same argument could be made for Richmond with some key players also getting up there in age.

chances are rare, who knows what happens next year this could be both teams last crack and so both need to take advantage of the opportunity.

It shouldn’t be, the same argument could be made for Richmond with some key players also getting up there in age.

True, all teams age, but it's a matter of degree. Dangerfield is the 9th oldest player at Geelong. At Richmond he'd be 4th.

Honestly, this is the least excited I’ve ever been for a grand final. I think Richmond win, probably by about 3 goals. However, it’s a loss for all neutral football fans in Australia.
As a Richmond supporter, and someone hasn't lived in Victoria since 2001, and Australia since 2012 and despite our recent success, I find this match the most interesting and poignant of the last 4 years. A loss here and we're still a great side, but to win 3 in 4 years Franks Greatness.

Richmond and Geelong have an interesting history in my lifetime... The fact they've pretty much owned us in the 80's, 90's and 2000's and we've had the edge lately. It's a fascinating game in a fascinating season and either side will be worthy.

I've not even taken into account all the covid situation in 2020.

This is a great meeting of 2 great teams and I can't really understand any real footy lover not seeing it.

I reckon the Cats play the Gabba better than the Tigers. So slight advantage to them there. Yes, I am aware of the Tigers record at the Gabba.

Nah. I think there is more pressure on the reigning premier than there would be on a team that hasn't featured in a GF for nine years. Hawkins, Scott, Selwood, and Gary have won flags. So it's not like they feel the pressure to win one. In fact, I reckon the Cats will be pretty relaxed about things. They are in with a shot at a flag. It's an opportunity to get another for some and for others,like Danger, an opportunity to get their first. I think Danger will either have one of his best games ever, or he will choke. I know I said the pressure is on the Tigers, but really I reckon both teams won't feel any pressure at all. So, it should be a great game.
Watch when the teams run out on Saturday, one will be laughing and smiling, enjoying “the journey”. The other will be stone faced with their stomachs turning.
See if you can pick which one is which.

Hopefully that happens so we can play the game a week later when us Melbournians are allowed to go to a friends house to watch the game. Cmon Storm!!!

Back