Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 (23/04/24 PATCH: Sliders are here)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Started tinkering and just had the best game. I made marking and hit outs harder and smothers easier.

When you're not always clearing the ball you are under a ton of pressure. Impressively though grabs were harder it didn't feel like I was being robbed, maybe I've found my own personal sweet spot.

The extra pressure meant my DE dropped and a few of the extra tweaks (maybe in this patch?) have started to be more evident.

• Clearance handballs and kicks have been nerfed, especially ones that you're trying to fire off at an angle. Pretty sure I didn't adjust those myself.
  • HTB is an active concern
  • the AI has got a fair boost at times. I've seen forwards a long way out handball to a running player (amazing) and even just now saw a player on the ground after a speccy handball to a running player.
  • I was playing Freo and maybe it was a coincidence but Fife dead set ran amok, he was everywhere.
  • a defender going to mark was knocked to the ground when the oppo punched the ball. Colour me pink! We've not had that before. Hopefully that can also be an infringement sometimes, it wasn't on this occasion.

One negative - when you're under the pump and every tackle counts those moments where your player micro freezes dead set kills you. You barely notice it when you're ten goals up but if the clock is ticking and all you have to do is lay tackle it is hard not to blow a gasket.

I think we've crossed a line here where there is 'footy stuff' happening that hasn't been in a game before. Sure the game play still needs work, features are missing etc but two thumbs up for these latest improvements.
What are your slider settings?

Haven't tinkered with much since, I redueced the general kick shot slide so now my intended short passes remain short passes instead of long bombs :p. Have made it so that while you can still "mark" in theory, there should be more spoils/spillages of the ball in contests. It's nice to see in action, although the animation can look wonky (see player jump up in air, and the ball smashes into players shoulder when they have not even raised their arms for a "mark attempt").

Haven't touched center bounce/ruck settings - but (I guess it varies with teams - I was winning most ruck contests against Sydney.... but I was losing most ruck contests when facing the Eagles!).

Getting pushed in the back wasn't very nice :p

A Chol goal technically from inside the center square

Also unsure what I did to make the goal kicking meter stay up for a lot of the general play action ? Assume it's a bug similar to months ago ?

I also had the same thing happen where I was going for a set shot a goal beyond the boundary line (along the wing) siren went and the end of quarter animations kicked in just as the goal kicking run up animation was about to finish :(

That Eagles match wasn't bad, while I did dominate most of the play - the AI became an unstoppable force in the last quarter. Ended up winning 43 - 28, but had their missed shots and OOBOTF converted to goals instead. I would have been beaten by a fair bit. I tinkered with the AI accuracy settings for them to be more accurate but something must have stuffed up.

** EDIT**

Essendon can go jump :p

Ndqmh8a.png

Adjusted the run speed - a little too slow for my tastes (I find 30-40 worse than 0) just that I wanted to go go go but unable to do so. Found it quite bizarre in the same way of watching a video in PAL format, then looking at the same video in NTSC format (plays with the eyes).

Adjusted the marks/spoils. One improved (for me anyway as I usually marked on the last line of defence) instance is there being a lot more spoils and thus loose ball crumb gathers that lead to goals instead of the run of the mill mark on the goal square.

Launched a last quarter fight back, was being too cute with the final winning goal chance (wanted either a last second on the run goal or a very tight angle mark). Tried to increase the angle of a particular shot with a pass, Ginnivan kicked the ball..... from one side of the ground to the other - where there were no players :(. Ball rolls out of bounds, then Essendon kept possession for the remaining 30 seconds of the match.

Last edited:

Need some advice here, new to AFL 23 just bought it the other day and as a UK fan of the sport, it is alot of fun... but i appreciate those with more knowledge than me are able to pick out the issues.

Anyway, its a game and if its fun, then so be it.

HOWEVER and it does need caps for me. Im not a great stick jockey, getting old does that and although im sure with muscle memory then things will become easier, but im really struggling on Medium to even put together an attack.. let alone score.

I love games to be challenging so losing dosent bother me, and i really want them to look and feel as realistic as possible... so the AI does its best to compete and dosent just do stupid things to allow me to win etc. But what sliders would you adjust just to allow me to be a bit competitive, rather than the 0-30 scoreline i often face after 1 quarter of play?

7 playing "right now"
67 playing over the last 24 hours

HOWEVER and it does need caps for me. Im not a great stick jockey, getting old does that and although im sure with muscle memory then things will become easier, but im really struggling on Medium to even put together an attack.. let alone score.

I love games to be challenging so losing dosent bother me, and i really want them to look and feel as realistic as possible... so the AI does its best to compete and dosent just do stupid things to allow me to win etc. But what sliders would you adjust just to allow me to be a bit competitive, rather than the 0-30 scoreline i often face after 1 quarter of play?

Slow down the cpu/AI running speed, and keep yours higher.

It's a bit hard to suggest anything else (like alter the mark timing so you always mark the ball) or have the AI set shots always miss etc.

It gets deflating being thrashed - my only solution is to adjust to the game itself (be your own slider lol). I eventually got used to the speed of the game, to the point that I was often planning what to do with the ball 2+ steps ahead (eg: even before stopping the AI by outmarking them in defence I'd decide to handball to 1 player, then kick long.... or go on a mini run then bomb it long).

Granted as decent as I am with the game I've had many moments where even I couldn't stop the AI from piling on multiple goals in a row (I swear it's rigged!!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back