Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 (23/04/24 PATCH: Sliders are here)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A question on tackling and gang tackling. The more tackles and gang tackling they introduce, how many stoppages do we think that will add to the game? Wouldnā€™t it just inevitably slow the game down too much and destroy the flow?
The one think disliked about the game pre patch was the quickness you could get tackled, then ball up or holding the ball. Do we really want to make it harder to release the ball or have more tackles occur which will probs create more stoppages & make the flow of the game much slower? Or is slower better/needed?
I think they need to move more players around the stoppage but make evading tackles more effective.

Question for anyone now playing the game with the new update, is the on the run fast goal meter now easier to use for the specialty kicks also? I used to really enjoy the Live 1 banana/snaps in play from the boundary because the meter charged up so quickly! Cheers

Career mode is bugged for me, when i put it on hardest my difficulty in game screen changes to hard and when i put it on easiest it changes too custom difficulty.

Question for anyone now playing the game with the new update, is the on the run fast goal meter now easier to use for the specialty kicks also? I used to really enjoy the Live 1 banana/snaps in play from the boundary because the meter charged up so quickly! Cheers
Yeah definitely is. Still a bit of getting used to as it charges much quicker now so often youā€™ll end up kicking it out on the full

Attachments

• IMG_5981.mov
    7.9 MB
It's much better than it was last year, but man. Was this game rushed out the doors a year before it should've been.

Does anyone else find that the game is way too fast? Like the players feel weightless and I don't have enough time to actually decide what I want to do, I normally just panic and bang it long.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I noticed that, super weird. I played Freo just before and they couldn't hit the side of a barn, I wonder if there's a bit of meta-rng happening where teams can be on or off for an entire game before the centre bounce. Maybe there's a HGA factor or BA have looked at a team's W/L for a given ground? Feels like a stretch but there does seem to be something different here. And obviously not for every team & every game, just something that spits out occasionally. Maybe? Well, something is up.

One other behaviour commented on here I've seen too - a first quarter where you smash the oppo and then they claw back. It feels different to rubber banding because when they pull in front they keep going. We'll probably have a better take on this in a few days.

Two more things that feel relevant to say or rather things Ross has mentioned in the past -

Goal kicking - he's gone on record a few times saying that he always wanted goal kicking to be easy. Can't say I agree with that but for anyone seeing this it's probably by design. I think personally we need a wider spectrum - easy goals stay easy but tricky ones are super hard to pull off. Maybe something devious like faster metre speed and changing the location of the sweet spot each time. Otherwise muscle memory is going to make scoring a bit of a joke longer term. We'll see I guess.

Spuds outmarking good players - Ross has said a couple times that he doesn't want stats being the most important thing. You can definitely see it in the build and I think it's a circular discussion. You want star players to do great things but inexplicably losing a 1v1 over and over is bloody frustrating. The answer is probably the sliders, Evo 2 had this as a weighting and BA needs to do the same. Personally from the Evo days I felt weighting the stats was better in theory than in practice.

Yep watching someone stream last night and the AI were missing.

The game looks much better though, can't argue that. Some further tweaking will help polish things up but I think it's good that BA are waiting until April as they will only gauge what actually needs to be fixed after prolonged feedback.

It's good to have naysayers but you're talking about an issue no footy game has come close to capturing. Evo 2 made an effort but it would be a brave person who suggests they cracked it. Remember the mack truck turning circles and how easy it was to kick a goal if you embraced the absurdity of the player movement? How quickly we forget.
Evo 2 has better player movement and controls, especially with sliders on. Players respond to all commands immediately in Evo 2, so I feel like I can play a more strategic possession game, whereas with 23 you're punished for doing so, because players are moving too fast, you can't pass quickly enough to counter that speed, you're sometimes incapable of moving, and you'll be rewarded for just kicking it forward to easy marks. It's not easy to kick goals in Evo 2 with modified sliders where marking is much more harder, and player movement being much more weighted and slower. Something 23 should have incorporated is sliders.

Evo 2 has better player movement and controls, especially with sliders on. Players respond to all commands immediately in Evo 2, so I feel like I can play a more strategic possession game, whereas with 23 you're punished for doing so, because players are moving too fast, you can't pass quickly enough to counter that speed, you're sometimes incapable of moving, and you'll be rewarded for just kicking it forward to easy marks. It's not easy to kick goals in Evo 2 with modified sliders where marking is much more harder, and player movement being much more weighted and slower. Something 23 should have incorporated is sliders.

Dude how many times do you post the exact same thing over and over again in this thread.

If you prefer Evo 2 so much just go and play it

It's much better than it was last year, but man. Was this game rushed out the doors a year before it should've been.

Does anyone else find that the game is way too fast? Like the players feel weightless and I don't have enough time to actually decide what I want to do, I normally just panic and bang it long.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

For mine the announcement of the game to the release was shorter than I would have thought.

Yes the game can be in fast forward mode a lot (wondering if that was done to hide any botchy animations that are now blink and miss it affairs). But there are moments where the game slows down to a more acceptable pace.

It's now more like human and AI have speedy Gonzales mode activated where before only the AI would turbo boost run.

The first Evolution had speed mode settings, the slowest replicated afl game speed more accurately. Evolution 2 (on pc at least) was lightning fast in comparison and there was no speed setting to adjust. I used a frame rate limiter to artificially slow things down.

Dude how many times do you post the exact same thing over and over again in this thread.

If you prefer Evo 2 so much just go and play it
You're misinterpreting what I'm saying, I'm saying they should reconfigure the controls and movement and surpass Evo 2 like they insinuated they were going to before 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soooo from everything posted it seems vastly improved in a few ways but probably still not worth dropping another $60 on. Especially a lack of proper career mode which is what I really want.

I have Evo 2 on PC now which might keep me satisfied for a bit.

I actually do think it can be more challenging. I didn't play for a huge amount of time last night..... but neither myself or the AI scored in 1.5 quarters (10 minute length) of footy, we both got it to our ends frequently but were out-marked at the final hurdle.

Currently running AI v AI Hawks v Swans. Hawthorn 1.4 - Sydney 2 straight.

I actually do think it can be more challenging. I didn't play for a huge amount of time last night..... but neither myself or the AI scored in 1.5 quarters (10 minute length) of footy, we both got it to our ends frequently but were out-marked at the final hurdle.

Currently running AI v AI Hawks v Swans. Hawthorn 1.4 - Sydney 2 straight.
I think yesterday my game must have dropped down to hard without me noticing cause the ai have been much more challenging today.

Iā€™m loving how lazy passages of play go unrewarded now, if you try to force something or just long bomb, itā€™ll usually result in a turnover.

Had a push in the back call

Also have noticed that the replay camera is the reverse of the game play camera at the time, thought it was weird.

Semi stuck in mud - minimal animation but I got tackled due to the input freezing, I was pushing to go but the game itself refused

I need to record live footage instead of replay mode, the ball went invisible after the spilled mark. But in the replay you can see it roll over the boundary line.

**** And the game crashed in the 4th quarter during a boundary throw in (ruckman got the tap and crashed to desktop). I was mounting a comeback as well, originally 36 points down, I was only 12 behind :( with plenty of time to score due to having momentum.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is contested marking a lot harder to make now? I seem to get out marked a lot. Any advice?

Is it just me or is contested marking a lot harder to make now? I seem to get out marked a lot. Any advice?

Fine for me - seems a good balance, I win when I should and lose when I should. Played 1.5 quarters tonight and had enough. Things that need fixing to make the game balanced enough to be fun;

• Centre bounce is OP with attacking settings. Win hitout, always get possession, handball to player streaming forward who inevitably gets a shot at goal. In 10 minute quarters each team had 4 tackles at quarter time. I know that a lot of people hate the congestion, but there has to be some degree of skill to winning a clearance, not just winning hitout and handballing forward every time.
  • AI need to adjust tactics - play the same way the whole game. Doesn't feel like much of a contest, should switch defensive to arrest momentum etc. Maybe they do this, but I haven't seen it yet.
  • There's no advantage rule, what happened to the 2011 game where you took advantage by continuing on, otherwise free kick? Why can't we have that again, but maybe add a 1 second lag where if you turn it over or get tackled it goes back to the free kick.
  • Honestly it's mostly these points and general balancing, the ability to string possesions together is good and the tactics add depth, it just needs to work better and not be too gimmicky. Putting this away until the next patch now.

Is this the PC version? I wonder if all versions are the same.

Yes pc version, settings carried over from when I last played the game - to reinstalling it last night (yes the graphic settings are turned down a bit including lack of crowd).

I'm liking parts of it, but yet to be fully convinced it can completely be salvaged. If they make incremental improvements without going backward again, that would be good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back