Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 (23/04/24 PATCH: Sliders are here)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I'll wait for this game to get out of early access and purchase it halfway through next season*

*a thoroughly patched up AFL25

Commiserations to those of you who paid $100 for a beta version of the game, at least you can put Game Tester on your resumes!

Still really enjoying the game in its current state but I hope in the next patch they can address these 3 things:

1. AI almost never missing shots on goal whether itā€™s in play or from set shots. Seems to happen on all difficulties too.

2. Teleporting definitely still happening and players getting done holding the ball when there was amicable time to get a kick/handball off.

3. Interchange logic. Still just the random pocket players being swapped and usually 1-2 players get moved and dont come back on field.

Aside from these things its been a blast to get back into!

Still really enjoying the game in its current state but I hope in the next patch they can address these 3 things:

1. AI almost never missing shots on goal whether itā€™s in play or from set shots. Seems to happen on all difficulties too.

2. Teleporting definitely still happening and players getting done holding the ball when there was amicable time to get a kick/handball off.

3. Interchange logic. Still just the random pocket players being swapped and usually 1-2 players get moved and dont come back on field.

Are you playing single matches, online or management mode?

So much teleportation in this game. You tackle someone to the ground, they lie there for 2 or 3 seconds, and then the ball miraculously appears 20m away from the tackle. You run past someone, and they teleport 5m to tackle you. It's the like the animations all have a 10m triggering range.

It's disgusting that the game has been out a year and it's still this s**t.

I find the AI boot it out on the full frequently. But its usually mixed (many shots out on the full, behinds AND goals).

The teleporting is annoying, I'm yet to readjust to the speed of the game. But at the height of my addiction - I was thinking multiple steps ahead. The direction I wanted to go in, whether I'd handball or kick to the next area etc.

I'm slowly developing ways to avoid getting caught (from AI trickery lol), like I said the other day - I'm handballing into space so I don't get teleport tackled, and running on to my own ball. It's happened on real life over the years so I don't consider it a cheat :p

Something that irks me a bit and makes the game far less challenging is that if you donā€™t press the mark button, the AI will just mark for you still. Kinda feels a bit empty when you kick around and donā€™t even need to press the mark button

Last edited:
Something else I've noticed (similar to last year) - occasionally I'll witness a "teleporting" act in real time....

But viewing the replay, the teleporting act................ plays complete animation and all - zero teleportation.

I'm in the twilight zone!
Haha. Do they 'pause' a bit before or after in real time... or does their replay animation play out super quick?

Just thinking through the way in-game replays work by storing event sequences... that for some reason may not have shown properly in real time....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still bummed with Management mode, no training, no board or club goals, no sponsers, attendance levels, can't bring a new club in with all existing clubs....not to mention clubs don't even care if ya don't win a game all year. He'll ya can't even select free agents, you've got to do a massive search for the players. It should just be a straight forward list. I know big ant isn't a big company but the way this game was brought out and for the price is a joke. Fingers crossed one day the game will be fixed enough to enjoy management mode one day.

I'm big on my management sim games and I love afl. I liked what afl live 2 did but the trade aspect was all too easy to build a side

I'd like to see an influence from the 2k games and how you use scouts too.

Haha. Do they 'pause' a bit before or after in real time... or does their replay animation play out super quick?

Just thinking through the way in-game replays work by storing event sequences... that for some reason may not have shown properly in real time....

It varies, of course in replay mode you can rewind and play it in slowmo or fast forward through it.

It was a speccie marking sequence that jolted my memory. The opponent just marked the ball put of nowhere (had full view). Whereas the replay showed the sprint, leap, mark of the ball AND the fall to the ground.

Seeing it reminded me of seeing teleport tackles in real time...become full tackles (the sprint of the player in pursuit, skip zero frames to the tackle of the player with the ball etc).

I caved in and purchased on microsoft store with some credit I had, I have already processed and had the game refunded.

I got sucked in and thought I would try but man it is a soul sucking game. Some of the gripes I have are the game just moves to fast it is just a button mash to get the ball off or spoil/ mark feels so random. I just could not find a single way to enjoy the game. Like game play wise on other sports games like NBA and WWE there can be different animations that make you go s**t that was cool but in this AFL game I just can't see any of that the animations are just plain ugly. Compare it to BA cricket games and you can actually build up some nice set up play in that and get a really good genuine wicket like a caught behind that looks great.

Everything with AFL is just clunky from the marking, kicks, goal kicking, nothing to me felt smooth or "right".

I did sim a season just to see what happens list wise and I am sorry but when you have Dangerfield, Serong, Harry McKay and Jesse Hogan all end up at Hawthorn at the end of the year and Hawks still had most of their top liners I was like what the hell. Checked a few other teams and indeed there was quite a lot of top liners at other clubs so clearly the management side is a mess.

Lets get to the end of season awards. Kieran Strachan who I have never heard of won the brownlow with 17 votes, Max Gawn runner up on 16 , Mason Cox and Rory Laird on 15.

Sam Banks played 11 games and finished on the All Australian team in the backline along with Nic Cox who played 9 games. Something very amiss there.

I usually just play quick play matches. The first one goes alright, yet when I play my second match (with Collingwood), it reverts back to the 2023 playing list. Now, on current form itā€™s probably a good thing, but I donā€™t want Ginnivan and Adams running out there anymore. Only a minor issue but still needs to be addressed. Also game is too easy

I usually just play quick play matches. The first one goes alright, yet when I play my second match (with Collingwood), it reverts back to the 2023 playing list. Now, on current form itā€™s probably a good thing, but I donā€™t want Ginnivan and Adams running out there anymore. Only a minor issue but still needs to be addressed. Also game is too easy

This happened to me too! I thought I was seeing things šŸ¤£

does anyone know of any creators that create retro teams? For example, 2013/14/15 Hawks or the 2009 Cats? Would love to recreate some huge games, just can't find any on the academy.

I think old mate Chuckinho has created every sports team to ever exist on AFL23
So youā€™re telling me I can play as 1898 Fitzroy against 1897 Essendon to see who is more superior ;)

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

I still think:

• Tackles from the opposition are too fast and lock on with no options to play-on, kinda sucks when it's all the time.(i get it, some players have high player ratings and so the player that tackles you will have that strength, but still). Most of the games are very low-ish scores because of so many lock-on tackles taking up a lot of time.
  • Give us some time to think and make a play with the ball, no AFL team is that fast in terms of reflexes, lol.(Except maybe west coast in 2005).
  • Kicking a goal on the run, maybe a pointer/cross so we can see the direction of the ball near the goals would be great, because i feel like i'm pointing at the big sticks, but it goes out of bounds on the full a lot. So that's a struggle.
  • A basic shoulder Bump feature would be cool, i feel like this could add something to the general play.
  • this is really small, but the 2 ruckman walk through each other before the umpire throws it in, like ghosts.
  • goal umpires slide across/moonwalk across the ground instead of walk, this is a small thing, i know, but i feel like it looks tacky, especially from the company that criticised wicked witch.

Other than that the game is good!(albeit with limited modes).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back