AFL and VFL team both finish first and miss grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Was thinking how it was odd both VFL and AFL team finish first and then both bomb out in finals.

Both teams took a big downturn in the start of August. Is it possible the training changed to prepare for finals and it messed everything up?

VFL Team -
13-2 before August. Losses by 1 and 8 points.
1-4 after including 2 finals losses. Losses by 52, 53, 25 and 5 points.

AFL team -
Our 4th quarter scores v opponents 4th quarter scores.

Round 10
2.2 v 1.1
1.2 v 0.5
4.3 v 1.4
4.4 v 1.0
6.3 v 1.2
4.2 v 1.3
2.5 v 3.2
4.3 v 1.3
Start of August
2.2 v 5.2
4.2 v 5.1
2.1 v 4.2
3.0 v 3.5
3.4 v 5.2
2.0 v 3.0

Both teams went from amazing to average. Coincidence? Did our high pressure gamestyle just wear is down or did we change our training which wore us down?

It coincides with support staff/coaches leaving or being told that they’re no longer needed. That could explain part of it but I believe training methodology was changed, possibly with the idea of trying to peak in late September, needless to say, it didn’t work.

They are linked in a way. People were crying saying vfl doesnt affect afl team - they were wrong.

For whatever reason VFL team really dropped off. Whether it was psychological or performance based we dont know. Perhaps both.

Once they started losing and eventually bundled out - i reckon the mood/moral really effected the club. Small things but to have the club up and about was key. We couldnt even play butler back in. Yes pies didnt have their vfl team either - but they had a different mental state driving them.

classic richmond is all.

as much as we want to think that last year heralded a change in the club, it really didnt. we are still the biggest chokers under pressure.
I think that’s a bit harsh and I’m a tough critic. Our season derailed with lots of injuries kicking in. I also think the Tom Lynch saga set a lot of angst among the playing group as a lot of boys were going to be moved on. We didn’t look like a happy and united group like last year. The way some of our boys went about it in the vfl it appeared they couldn’t give a damn. I must admit some of the amateurish decisions made before and during Friday nights game were 2016 like.

They are linked in a way. People were crying saying vfl doesnt affect afl team - they were wrong.

For whatever reason VFL team really dropped off. Whether it was psychological or performance based we dont know. Perhaps both.

Once they started losing and eventually bundled out - i reckon the mood/moral really effected the club. Small things but to have the club up and about was key. We couldnt even play butler back in. Yes pies didnt have their vfl team either - but they had a different mental state driving them.
The results were evident before the finals. When Williamstown nailed us at PRO late in the season you could see some blokes weren’t happy as they weren’t going to get AFL games and would not be there next year.
Rumours are the Silky Butterfly was told he was finished up and if true then most likely a few others were.

The results were evident before the finals. When Williamstown nailed us at PRO late in the season you could see some blokes weren’t happy as they weren’t going to get AFL games and would not be there next year.
Rumours are the Silky Butterfly was told he was finished up and if true then most likely a few others were.

Who’s the silky butterfly ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

classic richmond is all.

as much as we want to think that last year heralded a change in the club, it really didnt. we are still the biggest chokers under pressure.
I don't like to think of us as a choking club. I think that things just didn't click as we would have liked but that can happen despite best efforts. Perhaps some of our guys were a bit sorer than last year - it certainly looked that way to me. Overall it still looks like a close-knit group.

classic richmond is all.

Wouldn't call it choking at all. But something like peaking too early. Our key personnel still in the organisation, both on and off the field, I am confident we can be thereabouts next year.

I think that’s a bit harsh and I’m a tough critic. Our season derailed with lots of injuries kicking in. I also think the Tom Lynch saga set a lot of angst among the playing group as a lot of boys were going to be moved on. We didn’t look like a happy and united group like last year. The way some of our boys went about it in the vfl it appeared they couldn’t give a damn. I must admit some of the amateurish decisions made before and during Friday nights game were 2016 like.

So what decisions were you not happy with on friday night ?.I got no doubt the club will investigate what went so wrong and they need to.

We got nailed with fixturing in the VFL.

Came up against 2 teams that were 100% VFL centric in our two finals.

Add that to our end of year form not a good combo. Also missing guys like Towner hits us hard in VFL as he has such an impact with his physicality in the little boys league.

So what decisions were you not happy with on friday night ?.I got no doubt the club will investigate what went so wrong and they need to.
Can I jump in with a quick couple?

Not having Grimes on DeGoey for every second of the game.

Not having ANYONE on Sidebottom.

Playing injured and unfit players. Lack of poor planning with match ups. Failing to react early with a plan B. Last year we covered all avenues by doing our homework, it was like poetry. This year the late Geelong Essendon and Dog games you could see some blokes that returned were passengers, but we played them in hope they would get up. Then the ruck and forward tall issues had been found out , but we continued to flog a dead horse. We went back to bad habits where the coach and assistants were ruled by the players.

Playing injured and unfit players. Lack of poor planning with match ups. Failing to react early with a plan B. Last year we covered all avenues by doing our homework, it was like poetry. This year the late Geelong Essendon and Dog games you could see some blokes that returned were passengers, but we played them in hope they would get up. Then the ruck and forward tall issues had been found out , but we continued to flog a dead horse. We went back to bad habits where the coach and assistants were ruled by the players.
******* bang on the money.

Now, will any of the media "experts" have the knowledge and/or courage to say something like this next week, after the filth take our flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back