AFL back to 1870

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst idea I have heard. I am happy for Port fans to have their club history acknowledge at a club level but the moved to a new league where the flags they won in a second rate comp mean nothing. Ports flags is Ports history and the SANFL's not the history of the AFL/VFL
How was the SANFL a second rate comp?

Worst idea I have heard. I am happy for Port fans to have their club history acknowledge at a club level but the moved to a new league where the flags they won in a second rate comp mean nothing. Ports flags is Ports history and the SANFL's not the history of the AFL/VFL

This to a frightening degree, The Speaker.

Our history is our history that we already recognise and celebrate and the AFL Record Season Guide - produced on behalf of the AFL - has acknowledged our establishment date and all premierships for years now. So I'm not particularly bothered about this.

316vgra.png

As for the "second rate" thing, the SAFA/SAFL/SANFL wasn't always and the fact that Fitzroy's ridiculous wooden spoon/premiership double in a 4-team comp in 1916 is rated as the equal to any VFL/AFL flag (let alone automatically superior to every SANFL or WAFL one) is comical.

Last edited:

So Port trying to add their 30+ SANFL premierships to some jerk-off tally is the "Worst idea that you have heard" but you have nothing to say about the original VFL clubs obstensibly doing exactly the same thing??

As far as I am concerned, coming from someone who absolutely loathes Port with every part of my living, breathing, body... If the AFL decides to emphasise Australian Football history by making it a bigger Vic circle jerk than it already is (i.e start counting pre 1900 VFA flags to some kind of tally) then Port Adelaide have every right to count their 30+ SANFL flags to some kinds of cumulative tally -- *shudders*

The irony of your quote is... and I'll quote you word for word but change the appropriate clubs to make my point...... is that the original 8 VFL clubs "moved to a new league where the flags they won in a second rate comp mean nothing. (Carl/Coll/Ess/Fitz/Geel/Melb/South-Syd/StKilda's) flags are Carl/Coll/Ess/Fitz/Geel/Melb/South-Syd/StKilda's history and the VFA's history, not the history of the AFL/VFL"

I also am happy for those 8 clubs to acknowledge their club history at club level..... However don't add them them to some kind of 'AFL' tally while ignoring every other state - It's a joke

Correct.

But what I am saying is the current (and correct) official paradigm is as you put it. It just isn't widely acknowledged much (in Victoria) that there has ever been football outside of the VFL/AFL (except when the AFL can make a dollar out of it).

At the end of the day, there is no need for tables or tallies anyway. You don't 'win' something for coming the top of the premiership table. Lists for each competition listing year and premier do the trick.

I must've misread what you were saying/typing... I think we are on the same wavelength...

Port Magpies and Port Power are two different & separate clubs. I don't have any issue for the Port Magpies to reflect their history but the Power started operations at the end of 1996.

The Port Magpies have no current connection with the AFL.

Port Magpies and Port Power are two different & separate clubs. I don't have any issue for the Port Magpies to reflect their history but the Power started operations at the end of 1996.

The Port Magpies have no current connection with the AFL.

Even if we take your statement to be true previously, this ceased being the case in 2010 when the two legal entities merged. By any definition the Port Adelaide Football Club, Magpies and Power, is one club.

Even if we take your statement to be true previously, this ceased being the case in 2010 when the two legal entities merged. By any definition the Port Adelaide Football Club, Magpies and Power, is one club.

You can't count history such as flags from a junior club, that had no legal connection with the Power prior to 2010. What Port Magpies achieved in 1996, has no official connection with the current Power club. Like Essendon, who had a team in the VFA & the VFL at the same time, they are separate histories that can't be put under one history.

You can't count history such as flags from a junior club, that had no legal connection with the Power prior to 2010. What Port Magpies achieved in 1996, has no official connection with the current Power club. Like Essendon, who had a team in the VFA & the VFL at the same time, they are separate histories that can't be put under one history.

Of course it had a legal connection prior to the 2010.

It was the Port Adelaide Football Club that voted for, bid for and won the second AFL licence. Which resulted in, you know, the trifling reality of the likes of Bucky Cunningham (CEO), Greg Boulton (President), Jack Cahill (head coach) and all the cups and trophies staying at Alberton while the Magpies - by South Australian Football Commission decree - were relocated to Ethelton. Any grey areas and confusion vis-a-vis identity were put to bed with the 2010 merger.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what you personally believe, just like anti-vaccination advocates and moon landing hoax proponents among us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually if you read the article Carlton (and the other clubs) will recognise those as premierships but only flags from 1987 onwards will be AFL.

All in all it's a very good move.
didn't the AFL start in 1990? Why don't we call them VFL prior to that and AFL from 1990 onwards?
Port can keep their SANFL premierships, VFL clubs their VFL or VFA premierships. All this VFL/AFL stuff just seems silly.

didn't the AFL start in 1990? Why don't we call them VFL prior to that and AFL from 1990 onwards?
Port can keep their SANFL premierships, VFL clubs their VFL or VFA premierships. All this VFL/AFL stuff just seems silly.
Nope, 1897.

The AFL began in 1897 and changed to its current name in 1990.

VFA premierships shouldn't be retconned.
NO. The VFL may have begun then, but the AFL didn't begin until 1990.
You need to understand that high (and often higher) quality competitions existed outside of Melbourne fro a very long time.

Really? Why was it called VFL then? When did it officially change its name?

It changed it's name in 1990 to the AFL. The AFL didn't 'begin' in 1990, it changed it's name in 1990. It was still the exact same competition and we aren't going to hit reset on everyones premierships just because of a marketing name change.

NO. The VFL may have begun then, but the AFL didn't begin until 1990.
You need to understand that high (and often higher) quality competitions existed outside of Melbourne fro a very long time.
Really? Why was it called VFL then? When did it officially change its name?
When did Etihad Stadium open - 2000 or 2009?
When was Telstra established - 1975 or 1995?
When was The Duchess of Cambridge born - 1982 or 2011?

Why wouldn't Port's history be recognised?

They have 35 SANFL Flags and 1 AFL flag.

Just like some players have 120 WAFL games and 80 AFL games.
More than happy to recognise it! But you can't call them '36 AFL premierships'.

Just some food for thoughts on the "second rate comp".

In 1977 WA beat Victoria two out of three games, making WA the superior state.

As such the North flag won in that year should be discounted for being 2nd rate right?

In 1986 Victoria lost to both WA and SA - making it a 3rd rate effort? We shall now strip Hawthorn of a flag as well right?

More than happy to recognise it! But you can't call them '36 AFL premierships'.

No of course not - they weren't won in that comp.

But if Port were to say they had won 36 premierships as a club - they'd be right - 35 SANFL and 1 AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back