News Charlie Curnow: Back to Back Coleman Medals

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done to Charlie. It's a shame Tex was rested for one game otherwise he might have won it, as he has a higher goals per game average than Charlie.

Well done to Charlie. It's a shame Tex was rested for one game otherwise he might have won it, as he has a higher goals per game average than Charlie.
Which game was he rested?

Curnow gets a high percentage of goals from free kicks; I don't think I've seen a KPP get so many this way since Harry McKay won the Coleman.
if the defender didnt hold and block then they wouldnt give free kicks away. Hes hardly matt lloyd and his Olympic-esque level diving.

if the defender didnt hold and block then they wouldnt give free kicks away. Hes hardly matt lloyd and his Olympic-esque level diving.
Remember one game against North Melbourne earlier this season where he got at least 2 that were nowhere even close to free kicks.
Umpires clearly love the big guys who look like Tarzan 🌈

He's a brilliant player but they're definitely quicker to the whistle with him than other key forwards.

25 goals against WCE and North in 3 games. In saying that, Tex kicked 22 against them too in 3 games. Big forwards tend to get a hold of the s**t teams. Worthy Coleman winner even if the umpires helped him a little.
I can understand why Pies supporters feel this way.
11 frees in 2 games due to inept defenders must be pretty hard to take, but when you look at it a bit closer, I think there was 5 of his frees that were actually marks, but they paid the free. A couple of goals were from insufficient intent where he just happened to be the closest player.

So, without the 11 frees from the Pies skewing the average, he actually got 27 frees from 21 games, which is just under 1.3 per game, which would actually place him 38th in the league for players with 15+ games.
Based on that, he's probably a bit hard done by with the umps. He'd kick 100+ if the umps actually gave him what he deserved!

Dogs in Ballarat. It's only an assumption that he would have kicked enough to get the Coleman, Crows played very badly that day.
Could've made an interesting race even more interesting.
Who knows what would've happened, but I think if Tex had played and kicked a couple, the Blues would've tried harder for longer in the GWS game and Curnow wouldn't have rested as much in the 4th quarter.
Don't think we would've tried harder for the win, but would've been trying to get him the ball at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, without the 11 frees from the Pies skewing the average, he actually got 27 frees from 21 games, which is just under 1.3 per game, which would actually place him 38th in the league for players with 15+ games.
Based on that, he's probably a bit hard done by with the umps. He'd kick 100+ if the umps actually gave him what he deserved!
You absolutely cannot do analysis like that. Taking out an a significant data point for one player and then comparing to all other players without considering their circumstances is shoddy math of the worst kind.

Unless you are joking in which case well played.

Remember one game against North Melbourne earlier this season where he got at least 2 that were nowhere even close to free kicks.

He's a brilliant player but they're definitely quicker to the whistle with him than other key forwards.
last time i saw the data updated, curnow had by far the most goals achieved from free kicks

18 for curnow, next best being 11 for larkey / greene

curnow might be a dangerous forward who draws free kicks due to defenders panicking - but i dont think theres a significant discrepancy between him and every other forward in the game that you can point to and say thats why he gets so many. definitely a bit of an umpires pet

last time i saw the data updated, curnow had by far the most goals achieved from free kicks
It gets confusing with people deciding that drawing frees is good or bad based on who is getting the frees.

You absolutely cannot do analysis like that. Taking out an a significant data point for one player and then comparing to all other players without considering their circumstances is shoddy math of the worst kind.

Unless you are joking in which case well played.
The free kick thing is just overdone. It lacks thought and lacks any kind of detailed analysis.

In 18 seasons, Buddy had 7 years where he had free kick tallies in the 30s (39% of his career).
Curnow has had that twice in 7 seasons (28% of his career). Last year he was equal 91st in the league for average frees (falling 1 free short of the 30 mark). In 2018 (his other season with 30+ frees) he was ranked 41st in the league.
Someone like Ginnivan, for example, has had one season of 30+ frees out of 3 (33% of his career). The other 2 seasons, he only played 5 games and 11 games this year. That's a lopsided count.

Then there's playing styles to come into account. Someone like Tex Walker has never had more than 27 frees in a season, but he also tends to have a negative frees for and against, because he plays on the edge and gives away a lot of stupid frees, whilst having a style that doesn't lend itself to attracting frees. He gets a lot of separation and gets a lot of marks on the lead. In 15 seasons, he's had one season where he's been in the positive.
Tom Hawkins is similar. He gives away a lot of stupid frees with hands in the back, or stupid jumper punches. In 17 seasons, he's been in the negative 11 times.
Tom Lynch another in the same vein. 9 times in the negative from 13 seasons.

Those guys might get more frees if they didn't give so many away.

Unless somebody is going to spend the time doing a detailed analysis, looking at all the frees paid and the ones that should've been paid but weren't, for EVERY key forward (which nobody will), then the whole #FREEKICKCURNOW argument is flawed. When we can see how many times a forward is technically infringed on vs how many frees they get, then we can compare all forwards based on percentage of infringements vs frees paid. I guarantee you that some forwards are infringed on much more than others, and THAT'S why they get more frees. NOT because they are treated differently by the umpires.
You should be calling out the people who try to use his free kicks as an argument, not the people who point out it's a poor argument.

Calling BS: no one watches NM games.
That's part of why they're in this current sh*t sandwich.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back