Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2022 - Tsatas, Hayes, Davey x2, Munkara & Montgomerie

Who should we take with Pick 4? (Pick 2)

• Tsatas

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • Humphrey

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Phillipou

Votes: 109 50.7%
  • Clark

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick links: Player Contract Status | Trade & Free Agency 2022 | JHA Father/Son and NGA | Adrian Dodoro

0093895D-8D9D-4EFD-93DB-32FA70C2A596.jpeg

Last edited:
I watch a lot of nab footy.
‘I think Ashcroft, wardlaw, sheezel, cadman and Humphrey are the top 5 players in the competition
clark, tsatsas, hollands, McKenzie and George are next level.
my mail on phillipou is perhaps a bit of immaturity which wouldn’t surprise as he is december born.
a few scenarios for ya

scenario 1

brisbane- Ashcroft given
nm- sheezel
wc- wardlaw
gws- cadman
ess- humphrey

brisbane- ashcroft
nm- cadman
wc- wardlaw
gws- humphrey
ess- sheezel

brisbane- ashcroft
nm- wardlaw
wc- humphrey
gws- cadman
ess- sheezel

talk is sheezel is a flight risk
my Scenarios do not take into account nm splitting pick
some analysts will have tsatsas in first group however I feel Humphrey is better and has more X factor
I feel sheezel or Humphrey most likely
Interesting. I have Sheezel and Cadman going 2 and 4 either way as neither North nor GWS need to grab the midfielder, with West Coast taking either Wardlaw or Tsatas.

I watch a lot of nab footy.
‘I think Ashcroft, wardlaw, sheezel, cadman and Humphrey are the top 5 players in the competition
clark, tsatsas, hollands, McKenzie and George are next level.
my mail on phillipou is perhaps a bit of immaturity which wouldn’t surprise as he is december born.
a few scenarios for ya

scenario 1

brisbane- Ashcroft given
nm- sheezel
wc- wardlaw
gws- cadman
ess- humphrey

brisbane- ashcroft
nm- cadman
wc- wardlaw
gws- humphrey
ess- sheezel

brisbane- ashcroft
nm- wardlaw
wc- humphrey
gws- cadman
ess- sheezel

talk is sheezel is a flight risk
my Scenarios do not take into account nm splitting pick
some analysts will have tsatsas in first group however I feel Humphrey is better and has more X factor
I feel sheezel or Humphrey most likely

I'm identical to you. Whose next after that for you? My next three are Hustawaite, Hewett and Jefferson.

Even if he has some high desirable traits, I can't go with you on this one. I see Rowbottom/Perryman in him, just doesn't translate to getting maximum value out of the pick for me.

I think this draft looks good for a moneyball play, lots of guys at the back end who don't project massive quality but have some really nice attributes to develop into role players: Bevan, Drury, Ryan, A'loia, Campbell-Farrell, Binns, Clohesy, Petric, Pascu, Dowling, Binns, Teal. This is the area we should be focusing on for a run with type. Might get lucky and end up with an Atkins or Gutherie.

We tried it with Mutch and Clarke but these guys seem much less fundamentally flawed than they were.
He is more than a run with type. And are we going for maximum value or actually changing our mindset and building a culture first. Anyway. The proof will be know in a few years.
Just on the money ball types we will have to do some fancy footwork to have picks in the money ball area of the draft.

Last edited:

He is more than a run with type. And are we going for maximum value or actually changing our mindset and building a culture first. Anyway. The proof will be know in a few years.
Just on the money ball types we will have to do some fancy footwork to have picks in the money ball area of the draft.
The last week and a bit of watching Geelong and Selwood in particular has me totally sold on the idea of culture first.

We need to find quality leaders with competitive edge as our highest priority.

I'm definitely interested in culture building, but I think the upside of Wardlaw, Cadman, Sheezel or Humphrey is too great. Plus they all have contested traits, most have great leadership credentials and play in a way that is conducive to building a team brand.

I think Clark would be great if we could get Gold Coast's pick 7, but all of those guys project as potential superstars for mine, even moreso than Ashcroft.

The end of draft stuff will be interesting. Don't know how well connected he still is but Rendell said multiple clubs are only looking at taking 1 player. So the draft might only have around 60 picks. If that's the case, there will be a few of these guys go undrafted.

Last edited:
Hobbs will be the better inside clearance player but Clarke compliments that by being able to take his turn but also do what he has done this year by standing the oppositions best midfielders when needed.
If we are looking at leadership and competitive players as the first box ticked then he is one who does.

I think Cadman , Sheezal and Wardlaw will go and I. Am with you on Tsatas . Very good but has no defensive game and is not a hard edge player.
Why do we need Clarke to do that when Caldwell has already demonstrated that he can?
We lost, like, 500 goals with the exits of Walla and Hooker. It has to be Cadman or Sheezel as priorities, surely.

Why do we need Clarke to do that when Caldwell has already demonstrated that he can?
We lost, like, 500 goals with the exits of Walla and Hooker. It has to be Cadman or Sheezel as priorities, surely.
Why do people not read what I post ?
I think both Cadman and Sheezal will be gone .
Have also said if Cadman is there you pick him.
I suspect Wardlaw will go but if not you are weighing up Wardlaw’s injury risk v maybe slightly inferior midfielder but massive leadership in Clarke.

not wrong, but I think the problem posed is whether they're still on the board.

I've been all over Sheezel, but the last few games from Cadman has turned me. A few have made the point though - North would be nuts not to grab him. And if they don't, I don't see how GWS don't (unless the loss of Taranto, Hopper & Bruhn takes them down the mid path again)

unless we turn 4 & 22 into 2 & something late from WC.
Which is likely only palatable if we can get 7 & Bowes + some cheapies in Bytel, O'Halloran, Stocker, etc.

Cadman and Clarke is my dream haul at the moment.

I suspect Wardlaw will go but if not you are weighing up Wardlaw’s injury risk v maybe slightly inferior midfielder but massive leadership in Clarke.
Wardlaw v Clarke is a tough one.
On Wardlaw, Selwood is the cautionary tale. Slid based on injuries....turned out not so bad.

Would you take both Wardlaw and Clarke if we had 4 & 7 (and the draft falls that way?)
Ive not seen Wardlaw play (and need to fire up some highlights) so find it hard to place him amongst the others

I'm definitely interested in culture building, but I think the upside of Wardlaw, Cadman, Sheezel or Humphrey is too great. Plus they all have contested traits, most have great leadership credentials and play in a way that is conducive to building a team brand.

I think Clark would be great if we could get Gold Coast's pick 7, but all of those guys project as potential superstars for mine, even moreso than Ashcroft.

The end of draft stuff will be interesting. Don't know how well connected he still is but Rendell said multiple clubs are only looking at taking 1 player. So the draft might only have around 60 picks. If that's the case, there will be a few of these guys go undrafted.
I am just ruling out Cadman and Sheezal . I just think they will go before us .

Wardlaw you have to weigh up soft tissue injury risk .

Humphry I have no issues with .

My thing with Clarke is people do not rate outright leadership enough. What price do you put on getting a great leader and Clarke has always been rated top 8 and consistently a very good player.

not wrong, but I think the problem posed is whether they're still on the board.

I've been all over Sheezel, but the last few games from Cadman has turned me. A few have made the point though - North would be nuts not to grab him. And if they don't, I don't see how GWS don't (unless the loss of Taranto, Hopper & Bruhn takes them down the mid path again)

unless we turn 4 & 22 into 2 & something late from WC.
Which is likely only palatable if we can get 7 & Bowes + some cheapies in Bytel, O'Halloran, Stocker, etc.

Cadman and Clarke is my dream haul at the moment.
Failing what you mention above..Hoping WCE prioritise going local with pick 2 and reach on Hewitt or another WA boy.

My thing with Clarke is people do not rate outright leadership enough. What price do you put on getting a great leader and Clarke has always been rated top 8 and consistently a very good player.

Drafting for leadership hasn't really seemed that effective for us. Even going back to Zahrakais and Hurley who were captain and vice of NK. We've got Snelling, Heppell, Hobbs, D'Ambrossio, McGrath, Baldwin, Caldwell, Cox, Shiel, who have all been Captains at some level. A few hyped specifically for their leadership. For me I think the right path forward, is just drafting enough big hard bastards who do the team things, until one of them is a demanding extroverted a-hole.

Drafting for leadership hasn't really seemed that effective for us. Even going back to Zahrakais and Hurley who were captain and vice of NK. We've got Snelling, Heppell, Hobbs, D'Ambrossio, McGrath, Baldwin, Caldwell, Cox, Shiel, who have all been Captains at some level. A few hyped specifically for their leadership. For me I think the right path forward, is just drafting enough big hard bastards who do the team things, until one of them is a demanding extroverted a-hole.

Bar the ‘big’ requirement isn’t that Clarke anyway? Gets his hands dirty and does the team things?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Failing what you mention above..Hoping WCE prioritise going local with pick 2 and reach on Hewitt or another WA boy.
if they're gonna reach, they'd probably split. Esp with a situation where the top 5 picks are valuable.
GWS could shift some of the Taranto/Hopper/Bruhn picks into 2 and take 2x top 5 picks.

My comment on Cadman an Sheezel was an afterthought. Mostly I'm interested in the question of role; Caldwell plays the role you've prescribed for Clarke, leadership attributes notwithstanding. If we draft Clarke to play that role, what happens with Caldwell?

Last edited:
Bar the ‘big’ requirement isn’t that Clarke anyway? Gets his hands dirty and does the team things?
It's just a probability thing. Big dudes on average handle contact better. We've taken a bunch of short small framed mids and they haven't developed a love for the contest at afl level and a few have diminished in that regard. Why keep going back to the same well if we dont have to and should be selecting for balance?

You just reiterated my point with that

Guys like Burgoyne seemingly being unaware of what went on suggests there must have been a pretty big gap between how some parts of the playing group were treated versus others, so it seems a lot like the culture may have been fine if you were a certain level of player, or from a certain background, but pretty horrific if you weren't.

Guys like Burgoyne seemingly being unaware of what went on suggests there must have been a pretty big gap between how some parts of the playing group were treated versus others, so it seems a lot like the culture may have been fine if you were a certain level of player, or from a certain background, but pretty horrific if you weren't.
Rioli was a fair level of player

But any organisation treating people differently based on skin colour or even ability isnt a great culture

But any organisation treating people differently based on skin colour or even ability isnt a great culture

Agreed. As a whole of organisation thing you want better than having 75% of the playing group experiencing one culture, and the rest being treated like s**t unbeknownst to the rest.

My comment on Cadman an Sheezel was an afterthought. Mostly I'm interested in the question of role; Caldwell plays the role you've prescribed for Clarke, leafership attributes notwithstanding. If we draft Clarke to play that role, what happens with Caldwell?
You do not just draft Clarke to play run with. Anyway you draft him as he is an upgrade on Parish and Shiel when it comes to playing team footy and he is actually in the best 6 or 7 players in the draft. Caldwell does what he does anyway.

Simple reason drafting leaders has not worked. It has never been our main focus or something they have spent a lot of time looking at . I would say most mentioned are not hard edge leaders. There are leaders and then there are leaders.
I do not disagree with drafting hard players. I think Humphry would be a good get. I have no issue with taking him before Clarke. I just think too many here think like the club and totally dismiss the fact that the biggest reason we are average is we have average leadership with minimal leadership depth which is key to driving standards on the field.

Last edited:
The best sides have enough buy in from everyone to enable an element of pure ball hunting and driving it forward, the list of two way animals is very, very, very short.

The more players with a team first ethic like Clark we get into the club the better, not only will we bat deeper but Parish, Shiel and Merrett will get off the chain more and hurt more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back