News AFL Drugs Claims Bombshell

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt this a reputable article...
Maybe U should look into how green battery manufacturing is. Let's just say it ain't. But people don't see it. What they see is an exhaust polluting in one car and apparently none in the other. They just shifted the place the polluting takes places. Anyhow, I leave it at that.

I think that naming and shaming would be pure bloody mindedness and contrary to the ‘welfare’ intent of the AFL’s own policy. Why does it matter for what reason a player is withdrawn?
Gambling for a start.

A player out with legitimate soreness/injury may have that impact them when they return. Limited training and not physically 100%.

Same player out due to failing a test won't have the same physical issues.

An issue with spot betting.

If the AFL want to have such close relationships with bookmakers, the processes for such omissions need to be transparent.

Not to mention the blatant lies to members and supporters who financially support these guys.

Plus
Simple rule of thumb now for any minor one week injury is the presumption that the player failed such a test.

So all players with such injuries will now be tarnished.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

These recent ex players haven’t known about a program that’s been in for 20 years, yeah right
Exactly.... how do the players who suspect they may still have drugs in their system know to approach their club doctor for a test....because they were all made aware of the process.... otherwise no one would be doing it!

For ex-captains in Mitchell, Cotchin & Selwood all coming out & claiming they did not know about this process is a complete lie... & they are treating the public like idiots on behalf of the AFL media cover-up policy.

Exactly.... how do the players who suspect they may still have drugs in their system know to approach their club doctor for a test....because they were all made aware of the process.... otherwise no one would be doing it!

For ex-captains in Mitchell, Cotchin & Selwood all coming out & claiming they did not know about this process is a complete lie... & they are treating the public like idiots on behalf of the AFL media cover-up policy.
Exactly

Instead of denying the existence, ex captains and player leaders should be on the front foot and talking up the virtues of this process.

As should the AFLPA.

After all player welfare is the key reason for the process.

They just look stupid denying knowledge of it after the AFL have endorsed it.

We all know Brad Crouch was caught with coke in the city (with Tyson Stengle), and he was very injury prone.

Read into that as you will.

Well, what we know is that once a player has been “identified” by the system he is subject to repeat, targeted testing to avoid those nasty external people testing him and causing a PR mess for the AFL

What random tests are being avoided? WADA can still test them, they can test at anytime. Or have I been misinformed?

Match days only I believe?

Serious question. Do you reckon WADA would prefer a form of self-report and the athlete not compete or for the athlete to compete in the hope they’re randomly selected for an in-competition test?

They want a system that discourages and ultimately prevents people taking drugs

This self report system is uncommon around the world - except in NFL, where they don’t even pretend to care

If these AFL maintain their overriding concern is player welfare, they should release figures on how many players have been rehabilitated by the process - not names, just numbers.

Gambling for a start.

A player out with legitimate soreness/injury may have that impact them when they return. Limited training and not physically 100%.

Same player out due to failing a test won't have the same physical issues.

An issue with spot betting.

If the AFL want to have such close relationships with bookmakers, the processes for such omissions need to be transparent.

Not to mention the blatant lies to members and supporters who financially support these guys.

Plus
Simple rule of thumb now for any minor one week injury is the presumption that the player failed such a test.

So all players with such injuries will now be tarnished.

Give a crap about gambling, they don't have to offer a market. If we're making policy based on the best interests of bookies then something is seriously wrong.

For me it's not just about match day. Without sounding to dramatic these guys are running kids coaching clinics and going to community events all the time.

Like some other professions the rules need to be strict.

Last edited:
Match days only I believe?

They want a system that discourages and ultimately prevents people taking drugs

This self report system is uncommon around the world - except in NFL, where they don’t even pretend to care

I think WADA can test anytime, but the only time a positive result for illicit substances matters is if it's an 'in-competition' test. If you look at the penalties for positive illicit substances, even on game day, they're not really that worried about recreational use.

Still seems way overblown to me.

7F3609AD-A019-412E-BD59-5F2D83AFC3B5.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What relevance does that have to player welfare?
The AFL claim their policy is designed to help players who are addicted to cocaine and other illicit substances to help cure their addiction away from the public spotlight through counselling.

This may actually happen and if so they should be proud enough to announce their success, and would justify the policy. If not then it’s just a cover up that encourages illegal and dangerous behaviour. I have an open mind about this and would like to know before criticising or praising them.

So if Gubby Allan was a doctor and not a club official Whitfield would've been in the clear?

If he got suspended for 6 months for avoiding a drug test when the AFL has an official policy that it's ok to do so, that's ridiculous.

The AFL claim their policy is designed to help players who are addicted to cocaine and other illicit substances to help cure their addiction away from the public spotlight through counselling.

This may actually happen and if so they should be proud enough to announce their success, and would justify the policy. If not then it’s just a cover up that encourages illegal and dangerous behaviour. I have an open mind about this and would like to know before criticising or praising them.

Again, the AFL has a policy over and above other sports. The only reason the regime exists is because the players allowed it in its present form. It is effectively the player’s own voluntary policy. If you’re unhappy with it, you need to be blaming the players as a group, not the AFL.

So if Gubby Allan was a doctor and not a club official Whitfield would've been in the clear?

If he got suspended for 6 months for avoiding a drug test when the AFL has an official policy that it's ok to do so, that's ridiculous.

Jesus, apples and oranges. Nobody here is avoiding testing authorities. Every player involved could still be tested under the WADA and AFL regimes. Gubby effectively hid a player so he couldn't be tested. What's happening here is players who test positive to a substance are correctly being withdrawn from competition. It's ridiculously normal, logical and reasonable. No different to a construction worker not being allowed on site because they blew 0.01 on a breatho.

What people are arguing for is that a player that parties the night before a game be forced to play in the hope they get WADA tested. Just total insanity.

Give a crap about gambling, they don't have to offer a market. If we're making policy based on the best interests of bookies then something is seriously wrong.
It is a consideration when they are major partners with the AFL.

Touches everything the AFL does, even underpins the AFL’s main revenue stream in TV Rights.

And yes, something is seriously wrong when a bookmaker presents an advertisement in panel discussion format as part of the broadcast.

I love a punt, but don't think my kid needs to hear the odds on Matt Crouch getting 30 poseesions tonight during half time of last night's game...

Again, the AFL has a policy over and above other sports. The only reason the regime exists is because the players allowed it in its present form. It is effectively the player’s own voluntary policy. If you’re unhappy with it, you need to be blaming the players as a group, not the AFL.
Haven’t blame anyone. I’d like to know if the policy helps the players involved or not. If it does then continue with it. If not then scrap it

If the AFL and players are happy with it, that's all that matters.
The AFL who are more interested in loss of funding than player welfare, or the players who are more interested in cocaine than rehab. Sorry don’t buy it until they can prove their policies are helping rather than covering up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back