Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Big ant making the next one
Seriously the best thing I've heard all day. Thanks Wicked Witch for trying because any AFL game is better than none but let's be honest, a great AFL just wasn't ever going to happen with them at the helm.

Now we get to watch as Big Ant are afforded the same leeway for their second attempt in 12 years that Wicked Witch was for their 5th attempt in 10.

Say it with me, "You can't expect FIFA!", "It's a good foundation", "They don't have a huge budget."

Did they remove the crowd chants? I've never heard them.
How do I trigger them to happen
I have a feeling they’re attached to the 2020 teams but not the 2021 teams, I’ve played some games using the 2020 teams and the chants are there after roughly every goal (they really add a lot to the atmosphere when they’re not overused)

It really wasn't
Sadly agree.

Evo 2 is arguably the best AFL game we've had, which is a small miracle as it still doesn't address WW's achilles heel - core gameplay mechanics. It was their fourth bite at the cherry so that was a huge worry for Evo 3. We'd probably get better graphics and more game modes running on top of the same grab-it-and-kick-it crapshoot.

I'll still defend the game though, at least on PC. A million times better than anything else WW have done.

Gameplay wise I thought it was fine.
They dropped yhe balls with other mechanics like the trades, draft and contracts!

And the pc version shat on the console releases. Granted the game did load faster on ps5 and xbox series s|x, but pc gave it more graphical grunt, plus the frame rate was better.
Agreed, I was shocked when I got it on PC, a lot better an experience

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, I was shocked when I got it on PC, a lot better an experience

I expected it to in a way.

Evolution 1 looked like a ps3/360 era title on console. But on pc it looked almost like an NBA 2K/FIFA quality graphics (I said almost!!). The difference was really amazing.

Evlution 2 wasn't as big of a step up graphically between console vs pc. But the loading times and frame rate were leaps and bound better.

I expected it to in a way.

Evolution 1 looked like a ps3/360 era title on console. But on pc it looked almost like an NBA 2K/FIFA quality graphics (I said almost!!). The difference was really amazing.

Evlution 2 wasn't as big of a step up graphically between console vs pc. But the loading times and frame rate were leaps and bound better.
Reckon it's worth getting evo 1 then? Didn't know about such a difference

Reckon it's worth getting evo 1 then? Didn't know about such a difference

Ehhh Evo 2 will do, I'd get Evo 1 if it was cheap (just for the older roster). There's not too much difference. I think the "twilight" transition is better in Evolution 1, love the skyline in the third quarter (particularly at the MCG.. and Metricon of all places).

I whinged about this in the thread some time ago, but for me the grass looked better in Evo 1. In Evo 2 it looks painted on (or astro turf) probably just my eyesight and my broghtness/colour settings as well

Ehhh Evo 2 will do, I'd get Evo 1 if it was cheap (just for the older roster). There's not too much difference. I think the "twilight" transition is better in Evolution 1, love the skyline in the third quarter (particularly at the MCG.. and Metricon of all places).

I whinged about this in the thread some time ago, but for me the grass looked better in Evo 1. In Evo 2 it looks painted on (or astro turf) probably just my eyesight and my broghtness/colour settings as well
I thought a big thing for evo 2 was that it could transition?
Was it only a change for console or something?

Gameplay wise I thought it was fine.
They dropped yhe balls with other mechanics like the trades, draft and contracts!

And the pc version shat on the console releases. Granted the game did load faster on ps5 and xbox series s|x, but pc gave it more graphical grunt, plus the frame rate was better.
Gameplay is fine!?

Acknowledge it's 'ok' and a genuine miracle to be bug free and not easily cheesed. Anyway here goes:-

i) handball dynamics are rough as guts
ii) centre clearances are rarely skill based
ii) second to the ball is often the best option, especially for 1:1 contests
iii) AI players do not fatigue when sprinting (if it's a wide ball good luck)
iv) the AI doesn't know how to leave the defensive 50 to the point of comedy
v) an AI player on the ground (either team) presents the same obstacle as a concrete pillar.
vi) the ball seems to spill according to 'zones'. It almost always spills in the centre square, and almost never in the forward 50
vii) to this day I have no idea how to kick a banana or snap from a set shot. Trial and error have got me nowhere.

Above all else and similar to point 1, your team mates are useless when within five meters. They are a good chance to run the other way right when you need them most and it's less stressful to just simply ignore them.

For career mode et al, I don't hold many hopes. Not for WW, BA or anyone else. Maybe one day, sure, but it's a massive job with an infinite number of complications. I don't play BA's other games though, so who knows. Fingers are crossed.

It's a shame they're going to Big Ant for the next game, I thought Wicked Witch did a good job with Evolution 2, it's the best AFL game we've gotten by a long shot.

Gameplay is fine!?

Acknowledge it's 'ok' and a genuine miracle to be bug free and not easily cheesed. Anyway here goes:-

i) handball dynamics are rough as guts
ii) centre clearances are rarely skill based
ii) second to the ball is often the best option, especially for 1:1 contests
iii) AI players do not fatigue when sprinting (if it's a wide ball good luck)
iv) the AI doesn't know how to leave the defensive 50 to the point of comedy
v) an AI player on the ground (either team) presents the same obstacle as a concrete pillar.
vi) the ball seems to spill according to 'zones'. It almost always spills in the centre square, and almost never in the forward 50
vii) to this day I have no idea how to kick a banana or snap from a set shot. Trial and error have got me nowhere.

Above all else and similar to point 1, your team mates are useless when within five meters. They are a good chance to run the other way right when you need them most and it's less stressful to just simply ignore them.

For career mode et al, I don't hold many hopes. Not for WW, BA or anyone else. Maybe one day, sure, but it's a massive job with an infinite number of complications. I don't play BA's other games though, so who knows. Fingers are crossed.

I'm easily pleased when I say it's fine :p, coming a longggggggggg way from Aussie Rules Footy on the NES (and I still consider that a blast to play :p).

Both Evo 1 & Evo 2 have enabled me to reenact many classic passages of play, from certain marks, to spectacular goals. Also exhilarating runs (eg: emulating Mick McGuane's classic running bouncing ball goal).

I used to get equally excited playing AFL 98 and being able to copy St Kilda's Austin Jones' running long bomb goals from the 50m line.
And AFL 99 it was being able to Byron Pickett (crash and bash tackle).

I'm easily pleased when I say it's fine :p, coming a longggggggggg way from Aussie Rules Footy on the NES (and I still consider that a blast to play :p).

Both Evo 1 & Evo 2 have enabled me to reenact many classic passages of play, from certain marks, to spectacular goals. Also exhilarating runs (eg: emulating Mick McGuane's classic running bouncing ball goal).

I used to get equally excited playing AFL 98 and being able to copy St Kilda's Austin Jones' running long bomb goals from the 50m line.
And AFL 99 it was being able to Byron Pickett (crash and bash tackle).
Agree a lot of the AFL games have been fun to play, even the average ones, and Evo 2 easily qualifies as decent. It's a little irrational but I'll take mediocre AFL over FIFA any day.

To flip it around, the deal breakers for me are: old lists comprising retired players (I love getting a passable knowledge of current squads just by playing a computer game), bugs that affect player positions (e.g. reserves players that magically return to the 2's after a single round) and the old classic, tap-kick-mark-goal from a centre bounce. I don't mind if the AI is easy, but when it's so easy you kick a goal whenever you want it gets pretty boring.

Live 2011 showed BA understood the brief...I just hope the fan community give them the chance they may need to find their groove again. They may have a few bugs in the first one, or Ross might make an unpopular call to redo the foundation and little else. I can't wait but a part of me feels we really have to keep our expectations in check.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back