Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

brobest

Rookie
Mar 4, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
What do you guys think could be in the patch?

I mean as someone who is more of a casual/newcomer to it all, both the real life sport and the video game... im probably missing glaring problems as I dont understand that it 'is' a problem.

So what are you hoping for?

Im coming from Steam, so patch wise, performance wise its all spot on maxed out. A few animations would be nice I suppose... maybe more consistent AI play, but im not great yet even on the easier levels... so im assuming teh AI is hampered anyway to allow me to be competitive :D

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Who are our predictions for updated likeness? Hoping for Fremantle that Taberner gets a serious update. His face looks deformed on Evo 2. I assume him and Cox would get updates at least for us? Logue?

I mean as someone who is more of a casual/newcomer to it all, both the real life sport and the video game... im probably missing glaring problems as I dont understand that it 'is' a problem.

Im coming from Steam, so patch wise, performance wise its all spot on maxed out. A few animations would be nice I suppose... maybe more consistent AI play, but im not great yet even on the easier levels... so im assuming teh AI is hampered anyway to allow me to be competitive :D

It would be nice if they gave us a "game speed" setting in the options menu as opposed to having to alter a setting in the sliders (and/or altering the player stats to give them the slow pace etc). Evo 1's "slow" speed setting was perfect. I find Evo 2 "too fast" to play sometimes because it feels like its on fast forward.

Archer_11

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It would be nice if they gave us a "game speed" setting in the options menu as opposed to having to alter a setting in the sliders (and/or altering the player stats to give them the slow pace etc). Evo 1's "slow" speed setting was perfect. I find Evo 2 "too fast" to play sometimes because it feels like its on fast forward.

Agree. That was in one of their earlier AFL games, they need to being it back. Players running more slowly isn't the same thing.

Given the releasing the sliders is arguably their greatest decision, I reckon they should go one step more and allow shareable templates. That way the community could gradually migrate to a favourite set on the fan hub, which is free customer research for WW. It will also allow us to have some fun with different variations (eg. fast & no whistle) without the hassle of changing everything back again later on.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast

I'm on Series X, so I'd like proper Series X enhancements. Higher resolution and locked 60fps at a bare minimum, with no hitches during gameplay. Evo 2 wasn't even optimised for One X.

Really, it should just be the PC version. Hardware is more than powerful enough for what Evo 2 is pumping out graphics-wise.

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Agree. That was in one of their earlier AFL games, they need to being it back. Players running more slowly isn't the same thing.

Given the releasing the sliders is arguably their greatest decision, I reckon they should go one step more and allow shareable templates. That way the community could gradually migrate to a favourite set on the fan hub, which is free customer research for WW. It will also allow us to have some fun with different variations (eg. fast & no whistle) without the hassle of changing everything back again later on.
Really good idea. I actually avoid playing online because I don't want to play without my slider preferences.

GoldbergsGold

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
If you go back and play Evo 1, then play Evo 2, it’s a massive leap. No matter how much you choose to believe it or not.
I have no bias towards either company because I loved Live (although people seem to have forgotten it’s flaws now that wicked witch have taken over) and I hated Evo 1
Yes it still has some horrible mechanics about the game but what AFL game hasn’t ?
I feel like they’ve taken a huge step in the right direction and have actually been able to simulate how an AFL game is actually played
Not like every other prior version where it’s 1v1’s all over the ground

Makes me wonder if this exact same game was made by Big Ant, would people be hating on it ? 💁🏽‍♂️

I played both and AFL Live 1 still has better physics, AI and general gameplay than Evo 2. Oh, yeah, Live 1 had plenty of flaws, but it was the closest attempt at actually emulating the sport to a video game properly. It felt cohesive even with its faults, whereas Evo 2 is disjointed feeling.

GoldbergsGold

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
To be fair, that argument is like a Freo supporter getting into an argument with a Gold Coast supporter over which club is better.

"My game is a 5/10 game! Yeah, well mine is a 5.1/10 game! Yeah, well mine has more potential that will never be realised 'cos we don't have the rights anymore! Yeah, well mine has the WAFL … with fake player names! Yeah well smooth movement! Yeah well Jeff Darling!"

I would agree if you compared them to PES 2021, but if you compare the two AFL games, Live 1 is leagues ahead of Evo 2.

I played both and AFL Live 1 still has better physics, AI and general gameplay than Evo 2. Oh, yeah, Live 1 had plenty of flaws, but it was the closest attempt at actually emulating the sport to a video game properly. It felt cohesive even with its faults, whereas Evo 2 is disjointed feeling.

AFL Live was good at emulating rugby scrum after rugby scrum after rugby scrum. Evo may have been too much "man on man" but there were plenty of opportunities to break out in runs, do Gary Ablett junior style 1-2 handballs before running off again etc.

I emulated so many real life passages of play in that game, I'll defend it to the death!

Archer_11

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really good idea. I actually avoid playing online because I don't want to play without my slider preferences.

Same! I think online unfortunately does little more than show how far we have to go. You're not playing footy, you're just grinding the OP elements of the game with ideally a second player on your team to lay bumps. It's just not fun.

Archer_11

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Sadly, there won't be much. Some enhanced graphics here and there, fractionally smoother gameplay, and 2021 team lists. I hope I'm wrong; I seriously doubt I will be.

brobest

Rookie
Mar 4, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Sadly, there won't be much. Some enhanced graphics here and there, fractionally smoother gameplay, and 2021 team lists. I hope I'm wrong; I seriously doubt I will be.

Im hoping theres a tweak or 2 in there, but again as im not an expert things that might bother you all, are probably unseen by me... so I rely on those with knowledge to guide me :D

All I will say, is that its fun to play.. I feel like im playing Aussie Rules and as its still so new and unique, I love that side of things.

I wish the crowd sounds were more immersive at times and maybe a few smoother animation transitions, but I enjoy it and thats playing on what Medium is...

Archer_11

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Man, the crowd is hilarious. Zoom in on replay, they look like half formed troglodytes and the arms crossed thing is so weird.

If WW were marketing genius' they should have a video saying people should back off, fans really do look like that, and track down someone who kind of does. Have them talking about how much of an honour it is for them to be selected as the predominant crowd member etc, have a shot of them cheering at the local footy with their arms crossed. Have him say 'sometimes I come with my mates' and have them all wearing the same clothes and cheering the same way.

Another idea is to do some easter egg people in the crowd. An ex player or commentator, just anyone who is famous and cheap. It would get people talking. Have just one, like Where's Wally.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Not long to go now for this patch. Pretty excited for it actually. I'm tipping a nice little gameplay tweak. The lists being updated are definitely welcome.
I just wanna kick bags with Josh Treacy. I'm keen to see which players are getting new face scans too. What I don't get is why they can't face scan everybody into the game? Doesn't every player get scanned or something? I remember them showing a video like that.

Grechy

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Houston Rockets
I just wanna kick bags with Josh Treacy. I'm keen to see which players are getting new face scans too. What I don't get is why they can't face scan everybody into the game? Doesn't every player get scanned or something? I remember them showing a video like that.

I don't think they would have the resources to scan every player. Imagine the logistics of it all?

It would be good if the the real SANFL, VFL, NEAFL and WAFL players were there as well - not just the jumpers etc.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I don't think they would have the resources to scan every player. Imagine the logistics of it all?

It would be good if the the real SANFL, VFL, NEAFL and WAFL players were there as well - not just the jumpers etc.
Yeah that would be good, I'd even like it if they just took players who've gone to the state leagues after leaving their AFL clubs and just at least have them on the lists. I don't see why it'd be hard for example to love Cam McCarthy from the the Fremantle/Peel list to South Fremantle in the 2021 update. Yeah he'd be the only real player but it's better than nothing.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Can one of our lovely mods (Dannnnnnnnnn dwwaino hey what happened to E92_ ?) change the thread title please? I keep thinking the new patch is out.

images (36).jpeg

All in all it takes anywhere from half a day to a day to get a scanned player image into game, dependent on how high quality you want to make it. It can even take a bit longer for the ultra high quality ones too.

Then it depends on how many artists you have at your disposal.

The main thing to take into account is that face scanning doesn't equal necessarily easier or quicker. Definitely higher quality face scans can make the overall end product get done faster, but a quality visual still requires time.

brobest

Rookie
Mar 4, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought the modding community would be on this game like a rash.. but i suppose its niche that you dont get casual modders coming in to make faces etc

Back