AFL Industry - Voice Against Gender-Based Violence

Remove this Banner Ad

^^^^

Absolutely this... You'd occasionally hear the jingle "you get a run for your money at the TAB" but unless you had an adult influence who already gambled, you'd have no idea what this actually meant.

Now we have TV "shows" that are just talking about odds... I've even seen it as part of Fox Sports News FFS!
How to develop an addiction 101.

Cue, Craving, Action, and a net Reward

The jingle as a cue means nothing in itself, but is a calling card to incite cravings in an habitual gambler. They then gamble (action) and through a combination of micro wins, jingles, positive emails and texts, they get a feeling of winning even when they don't.

Rinse and repeat.

So we let social media or the AFL decide someone's innocence or guilt? I know first hand how guilty people can be found not guilty, but we need safeguards to protect the innocent from being railroaded.
Do you think TT was “railroaded”?

A bunch of our young players (not sure how many) are Andrew Tate subscribers. You can only guess as to their actions in regards to respect with women (and minority groups).

What education can clubs provide that schools can’t? Where can we break the social circle pressure of having these boys clubs where the Tate ethos abounds?

I’m not saying be the thought police. Different beliefs are welcome in any setting. As long as they aren’t dangerous. And I’d argue there’s few steps between the Tate way of living & dangerous beliefs.

Less about making them stop thinking that way, and just giving them some ways to think about whether it’s what they truly want to believe & stand for.

Not sure what the specific link between horse/greyhound racing and DV is????
Limit gambling as much as possible so people don’t take their losses out on the women.

I think animal racing is cruel I’d like to see it banned totally. We’d be a healthier society for it.

I dont think the AFL will ever admit to the discussions so its hard to know.

But if TT is the poster boy for DV when the AFL helped 3 players pay off a woman they raped then they really have got the public hoodwinked with their social policies.
To be clear, you’re aware that the AFL will protect the boys, but are still concerned that TT may have been, as you put it, “railroaded”?

Would it be simpler that they all in fact did what they were purported to have done, and the AFL attempted to protect its brand knowing that DV cases are hard to prove?

Also, define ‘social policies’.

I'm impartial to betting companies, i don't indulge in it so don't care whether they exist or not. I'm just against the arguments that divert self accountability.

Gamble responsibly :p
They are addicts they don’t have the ability to gamble responsibly. I mean people know smoking kills you and they still do it. Hence limit the exposure so people don’t get sucked in in the first place.

Part of the problem is the inability of men to talk bout the problem

Look at this thread, mainly men I'd guess, discussion has become mainly about gambling.

The addiction/mental health factor cannot be ignored. But there is so much more to this. It is rooted in bad attitudes and disrespect, which are pervasive and tolerated. The Tate stuff is very pernicious. And I still see an entitlement with some young men: and when life starts to get hard for them, this unfulfilled entitlement manifests in something pretty ugly.

It's this base that needs fixing

Look at this thread, mainly men I'd guess, discussion has become mainly about gambling.

The addiction/mental health factor cannot be ignored. But there is so much more to this. It is rooted in bad attitudes and disrespect, which are pervasive and tolerated. The Tate stuff is very pernicious. And I still see an entitlement with some young men: and when life starts to get hard for them, this unfulfilled entitlement manifests in something pretty ugly.

I think a part of the problem is some men who like to feel powerful, and they feel powerful when they are beating up someone who can't possibly defend themselves. We need to begin framing domestic abusers as the ultimate cowards.

Limit gambling as much as possible so people don’t take their losses out on the women.

I think animal racing is cruel I’d like to see it banned totally. We’d be a healthier society for it.

Probably should start with the whole, killing them eating them and throwing away their young before we start banning them from running a race.

I think a part of the problem is some men who like to feel powerful, and they feel powerful when they are beating up someone who can't possibly defend themselves. We need to begin framing domestic abusers as the ultimate cowards.

Framing domestic abuse as cowards is already a cultural norm, but as always, some people couldn’t give a crap what society demands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an incredibly out of touch post.

Telling a bad person/criminal he/she is doing something morally wrong/bad isn't going to stop said bad person/criminal. They already know what they're doing is unethical/bad and always have. They don't care and never will. That's the reality of the world. We've seen some of the most well brought-up individuals who have committed murders, crimes of violence/non-violence. Making it less about the individuals is destructive at the core in that it absolves them/gives them an out. Men know violence towards women is bad. Society's disapproval is well established. Bad people do not care. That's the difference.

The world is violent, it is not a utopia and never will be. People who have no care for others/the law are among us and always will be, and they exist when they feel that their criminal desires can be gotten away with somehow or treated leniently where they feel the punishment isn't a deterrent. This is why the law and punishments need to be tougher/stronger. Naturally, just as a criminal who wants to rob will usually choose a weaker option like the elderly to steal from, a nefarious person who wants to commit violence will be more likely to act on it on someone who is smaller - who are usually women that are naturally smaller/less strong.

These exploitations based on advantages are a factor for most crimes in life. It is also present in the ever increasing incidents of female teachers opting to act on their bad intentions by preying on students who are younger boys, them being paedophiles who are exploiting their bigger stature over someone who is smaller and supposed to obey authority. Bigger nefarious actors will more often see advantages/exploit said advantages and act on them due to a perceived statistical advantage. It's these advantages people with evil intentions/disregard for others will look for and they will exploit them no matter what you say.

It is not a gender (that you generalise, which is problematic in itself) to police someone doing bad/something illegal. It's like asking specific races to answer for someone doing something bad just cos they look alike, as if they are some sort of UN delegate representing a whole race - which is just a disgusting old-world mentality where if we think someone looks like someone it must mean they are spokespersons. No, they are not.

It is the job of police to police them. It is the job of the justice system, which is way too lenient, to punish them accordingly as individuals, which is what we all are. It is important for those who are weaker physically, such as women to not be lured into a sense of false security/dream that the world can be ridden of nefarious people/criminals. That's a dangerous mindset and it takes away from them being taught to stay vigilant, to be taught how to protect themselves. Men are at risk of being jumped/mugged every day yet they're told bluntly that it's "bad people doing bad things" and aren't sold some sort of right to invincibility that will never exist.

Imagine telling someone who wants to kill you that it's your right not be - I'm sure many men on the verge of being assaulted/murdered would love that to be a magic phrase for them too. Even when we are victims to nefarious actors (which is through no fault of our own), we do whatever we can that's in our control to prepare for the reality of the world and give us the best chance at survival.

That is why we lock our doors at night. That is why the majority try to refrain from walking on the street at 3am. This is why we don't let just anyone enter our residences unless we vet them first. Not saying these are direct examples of DV but as examples of cautiousness about the established existence of nefarious people. These acts are not done as a way to say that we've accepted to be a victim in advance. These acts are done because we are aware of the reality of the world. I am aware I do not live in a utopia and never will. These are reasons for women to always stay vigilant, to not be lured into lowering their guard over PC BS selling them a fantasy that won't be there for them when they're in a hospital or a casket. People who don't care about morals or rights will always exist and they will exploit you when they can.

I also love how you make it about people trying to "steer it" to a problem with alcohol or gambling (which are problems, not causes, and addictive physically/mentally deteriorating accelerators of bad behaviour that may have happened anyway) yet you're quick to then bring up your own red herring in the degenerate that is Tate. Wow. Get a grip.

Last edited:
Men know violence towards women is bad.
Plenty of men still believe it is their right to abuse wives/girlfriends, regardless of what the law says. If you don't get that, you should only be directing the "out of touch" label to the person in the mirror.

And the rest of your post is drivel, too.

Telling a criminal he/she is doing something bad isn't going to stop said criminal. They know what they're doing is bad and always have. We've seen some of the most well brought-up individuals who have committed murders, crimes of violence/non-violence. Some of the most conservatively brought-up individuals can end up being the most sexually-driven people behind closed doors as found out by those that date them. Or female teachers exploiting their physical/authoritative advantage over smaller students, etc.

Making it less about the individuals is destructive at the core in that it absolves them/gives them an out. Men know violence towards women is bad. They know it damages their character in the eyes of society. They are seen as the lowest of low when it happens. Society's disapproval is well established. Especially if they commit r*pe (a form of sexual violence), they are then less than dirt, beaten in jail for it (akin to child molesters) and are shunned from being considered a man altogether.

However, like I said, telling someone murder is bad isn't going to stop murders. Telling someone robbing or other crimes are bad isn't going to stop robberies. Society's disapproval does not matter to criminals. The world is violent, it is not a utopia and never will be. Criminals are among us and always will be, and they exist when they feel that their criminal desires can be gotten away with somehow or treated leniently where they feel the punishment isn't a deterrent or if they have no care for what happens to them when suicidal.

Naturally, just as a criminal who wants to rob will usually choose a weaker option like the elderly to steal from, a criminal who wants to commit violence will be more likely to act on it on someone who is smaller - who are usually women that are naturally smaller/less strong, but often times it is bigger, bulkier men with muscles who will beat on skinnier, weaker men who are half the size with a disparity close to a normal man/normal woman. But no one will ever speak on that. It's socially accepted as one being overpowered by another through the reality of physical advantage. It can also be a transgender who identifies as a female in the mind but has the physicality of a male biologically who can exploit an advantage to commit a crime or murder on a woman - or a woman who is smaller but in possession of a weapon/firearm that tips the advantage in their favour to commit a crime or murder on a man. However these disparities aren't as common as it is man on woman and such occur less, but they do occur when the disparities exist. But no one will speak on that.

These exploitations based on advantages are a factor for most crimes in life. It is also present (but not the cause) in the ever increasing incidents of female teachers opting to act on their bad intentions by preying on students who are younger (smaller) boys, them being paedophiles who are exploiting their bigger stature over someone who is smaller and supposed to obey authority. Bigger nefarious actors will more often see advantages/exploit said advantages and act on them due to a perceived statistical advantage (which it is). It is advantages criminals will look for and they will exploit them no matter what you say.

It is not a gender (that you generalise, which is problematic in itself) to police a criminal.

Often times I am reminded of such a mindset where I see a news report of an individual committing a crime either as a sole person or a group, and others will look at the race of the individuals and then point at law-abiding individuals who live very law-respecting lives who look like them and ask them to 'speak" for them, to "answer" for them, to "denounce" it, as if they are some sort of UN delegate representing a whole race - which is just a disgusting old-world mentality where if we think someone looks like someone it must mean they are spokespersons. No, they are not. It is not the job of one person to be a spokesperson/take on accountability in any way for a law-breaking individual just because they look the same racially in the same way it is not the job of someone to be a spokesperson/take on accountability for a law-breaking individual who is of the same gender.

It is the job of police to police them. It is the job of the justice system, which is way too lenient, to punish them accordingly as individuals, which is what we all are. It is important for those who are weaker physically, such as women and men in smaller statures to not be lured into a sense of false security/dream that the world can be ridden of criminals. That is dangerous and it takes away from them being taught to stay vigilant, to be taught how to protect themselves. Even when we are victims to criminals (which is through no fault of our own), we do whatever we can that's in our control to prepare for the reality of the world and give us the best chance at survival.

This is why I lock my doors at night. This is why I try to refrain from walking on the street at 3am. This is why I don't let just anyone enter my house unless I vet them first. These acts are not done as a way to say that I shouldn't consider myself a victim, or as a statement to say that I've accepted to be a victim. These acts are done because I am aware of the reality of the world, I am aware I do not live in a utopia and never will, I am aware that criminals aren't going to not try to enter a door they see open at my place or not walk up to mug me if they see me at 3am just because they're told opening stranger's doors is wrong or that mugging people isn't okay. They are signs that all people, regardless of gender, should understand about the world to not be lured into lowering their guard over PC BS that isn't going to be there for them when they're in a hospital or a casket.

I also love how you make it about people trying to "steer it" to a problem with alcohol or gambling (which are problems - not causes, but needless and addictive physically/mentally deteriorating accelerators of bad behaviour that may have happened anyway) yet you're quick to then bring up your own red herring in the degenerate that is Tate. Wow. Get a grip.
I'm not trying to take away individual responsibility, don't know why you would think that.

The power of the individual should not be diminished.

This thread was created in the context of the AFL's actions this week though, which are directed more at the societal level.

On the individual level, from what I read the best action we can take is tightening up bail for offenders with a violent history.

You make some good points there, good to see a post about the actual topic.

But all that stuff about personal responsibility of the victim or potential victim, knowing the reality of the world and locking your doors at night? Are you for real? How the hell does locking your doors help with DV? The home is the one place above all in this world we should expect to feel safe.

Or should women (or anyone for that matter) only live with people of a similar stature as them to endure they stand a chance in a fight?

Far out.

That's already happened for a long time though, as others have said.

I recon there are a lot of men, who despite being told they have male privilege, don't feel that way. This is not mentioned much but it could be a big factor. If you are a shitkicker at work, near the bottom rungs socially, don't have much else going on - then being told about your privilege will piss you off, make you think you are missing out on something you are entitled to. And then that sense of entitlement could manifest in this violent way of exercising power over somebody - at worst, at best it probably just builds resentment toward those people (often women) who tell them they are privileged and entitled.

That's where I personally think the messaging to these guys has been wrong. These men actually need guidance and help in growing into better human beings. There is a missing piece of the puzzle that makes up being an adult. Telling them they are cowards or privileged doesn't help much.

If someone is stuck - would you tell them they are stuck, or that with the advantages society has given them they shouldn't be stuck? Or would you try to help them see and guide them along a path out of there?

I'm not trying to take away individual responsibility, don't know why you would think that.

The power of the individual should not be diminished.

This thread was created in the context of the AFL's actions this week though, which are directed more at the societal level.

On the individual level, from what I read the best action we can take is tightening up bail for offenders with a violent history.

You make some good points there, good to see a post about the actual topic.

But all that stuff about personal responsibility of the victim or potential victim, knowing the reality of the world and locking your doors at night? Are you for real? How the hell does locking your doors help with DV? The home is the one place above all in this world we should expect to feel safe.

Or should women (or anyone for that matter) only live with people of a similar stature as them to endure they stand a chance in a fight?

Far out.
It also discounts all the other types of domestic violence, it’s not just physical

Things like verbal abuse, financial control, emotional manipulation, gaslighting and forced sexual acts or using manipulation to have sex even between a couple is rape and counts as DV as well and that’s just a few examples among a lot more

Just as long as we understand the issue we're dealing with and don't let emotions or an appalling start to 2024 cloud our judgment:

View attachment 1977661
Lacks context since the graph is only looking at homicide without overall trends for domestic violence overall

Telling a criminal he/she is doing something bad isn't going to stop said criminal. They know what they're doing is bad and always have. We've seen some of the most well brought-up individuals who have committed murders, crimes of violence/non-violence. Some of the most conservatively brought-up individuals can end up being the most sexually-driven people behind closed doors as found out by those that date them. Or female teachers exploiting their physical/authoritative advantage over smaller students, etc.

Making it less about the individuals is destructive at the core in that it absolves them/gives them an out. Men know violence towards women is bad. They know it damages their character in the eyes of society. They are seen as the lowest of low when it happens. Society's disapproval is well established. Especially if they commit r*pe (a form of sexual violence), they are then less than dirt, beaten in jail for it (akin to child molesters) and are shunned from being considered a man altogether.

However, like I said, telling someone murder is bad isn't going to stop murders. Telling someone robbing or other crimes are bad isn't going to stop robberies. Society's disapproval does not matter to criminals. The world is violent, it is not a utopia and never will be. Criminals are among us and always will be, and they exist when they feel that their criminal desires can be gotten away with somehow or treated leniently where they feel the punishment isn't a deterrent or if they have no care for what happens to them when suicidal.

Naturally, just as a criminal who wants to rob will usually choose a weaker option like the elderly to steal from, a criminal who wants to commit violence will be more likely to act on it on someone who is smaller - who are usually women that are naturally smaller/less strong, but often times it is bigger, bulkier men with muscles who will beat on skinnier, weaker men who are half the size with a disparity close to a normal man/normal woman. But no one will ever speak on that. It's socially accepted as one being overpowered by another through the reality of physical advantage. It can also be a transgender who identifies as a female in the mind but has the physicality of a male biologically who can exploit an advantage to commit a crime or murder on a woman - or a woman who is smaller but in possession of a weapon/firearm that tips the advantage in their favour to commit a crime or murder on a man. However these disparities aren't as common as it is man on woman and such occur less, but they do occur when the disparities exist. But no one will speak on that.

These exploitations based on advantages are a factor for most crimes in life. It is also present (but not the cause) in the ever increasing incidents of female teachers opting to act on their bad intentions by preying on students who are younger (smaller) boys, them being paedophiles who are exploiting their bigger stature over someone who is smaller and supposed to obey authority. Bigger nefarious actors will more often see advantages/exploit said advantages and act on them due to a perceived statistical advantage (which it is). It is advantages criminals will look for and they will exploit them no matter what you say.

It is not a gender (that you generalise, which is problematic in itself) to police a criminal.

Often times I am reminded of such a mindset where I see a news report of an individual committing a crime either as a sole person or a group, and others will look at the race of the individuals and then point at law-abiding individuals who live very law-respecting lives who look like them and ask them to 'speak" for them, to "answer" for them, to "denounce" it, as if they are some sort of UN delegate representing a whole race - which is just a disgusting old-world mentality where if we think someone looks like someone it must mean they are spokespersons. No, they are not. It is not the job of one person to be a spokesperson/take on accountability in any way for a law-breaking individual just because they look the same racially in the same way it is not the job of someone to be a spokesperson/take on accountability for a law-breaking individual who is of the same gender.

It is the job of police to police them. It is the job of the justice system, which is way too lenient, to punish them accordingly as individuals, which is what we all are. It is important for those who are weaker physically, such as women and men in smaller statures to not be lured into a sense of false security/dream that the world can be ridden of criminals. That is dangerous and it takes away from them being taught to stay vigilant, to be taught how to protect themselves. Even when we are victims to criminals (which is through no fault of our own), we do whatever we can that's in our control to prepare for the reality of the world and give us the best chance at survival.

This is why I lock my doors at night. This is why I try to refrain from walking on the street at 3am. This is why I don't let just anyone enter my house unless I vet them first. These acts are not done as a way to say that I shouldn't consider myself a victim, or as a statement to say that I've accepted to be a victim. These acts are done because I am aware of the reality of the world, I am aware I do not live in a utopia and never will, I am aware that criminals aren't going to not try to enter a door they see open at my place or not walk up to mug me if they see me at 3am just because they're told opening stranger's doors is wrong or that mugging people isn't okay. They are signs that all people, regardless of gender, should understand about the world to not be lured into lowering their guard over PC BS that isn't going to be there for them when they're in a hospital or a casket.

I also love how you make it about people trying to "steer it" to a problem with alcohol or gambling (which are problems - not causes, but needless and addictive physically/mentally deteriorating accelerators of bad behaviour that may have happened anyway) yet you're quick to then bring up your own red herring in the degenerate that is Tate. Wow. Get a grip.

Hard to lock the door when the criminal is inside the house.

Do women have the same opportunities as men in football? Yeah nah.

The reason for that is the same reason women's football was ignored by the AFL for 120 years. They don't want to anger their easily angered wife-beating base.
So what happened 100 years ago is relevant now?

To suggest that the AFL isn't trying to grow female participation in the sport, at all levels, is just plain ignorant. You do realise they are almost completely subsidising the AFLW right?

Quality post! The entitlement thing is a big problem. Yes, there are reasons why it's become ingrained in society, but that doesn't mean we can't start to do something about it.

Entitlement + Anger + (in some cases) Addiction = A disaster waiting to happen.

Football clubs all over can be part of the solution, and to some degree I think that change is already happening. The club environments that I've been part of in the last 5 years look very different to what they did when I started playing 20 years ago. Are they perfect? Absolutely not, but it is slowly moving the right way. Men ARE the problem and men HAVE TO BE the solution too.

This feels an awful lot like victim blaming. It isn't just the role of the justice system, and I would contend that a bloke who beats up his partner believes that it is either ok, or he has an entitlement to do so.

Yes, there are positive changes that need to be made in all elements of the justice system, but there is a part for us as a society to play, to begin to break down the sense of entitlement that some people (generally men) feel they have to act with impunity. The world owes them nothing, and it's about time they started realising that, and those of us that realise it start reminding those that don't.

I would strongly suggest anyone who has posted in this thread listens to the "open letter" that was read out by Tommy Little (written by Carrie Bickmore) on Fox FM and it's affiliates earlier in the week. It's not ok for women to feel the need to take the actions that are described. Yes, the world is a dangerous place at the moment, but it's simply not good enough to accept that as it is and feel like it's job done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back