AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

The NRL don’t care where the money comes from. Panthers, Eels, Souths, Roosters, Sharks are all backed by large Sports clubs. The raiders have 3-4 clubs spread throughout Canberra

Tell which club supports South Sydney? The Juniors are a club, but the support at the moment is going in the direction from South Sydney seniors to the Juniors.

Agreed that overall, revenue streams are not all direct, i.e., the leagues clubs of most footy clubs fund operations in excess of broadcast rights distributions.

Absolutely minimal impact.
The Broncos are one of the very few NRL clubs who operate anywhere near a middling AFL club, and that's because they are the only club in a League city.
I mean seriously, how pathetic is it that the NRL is still talking about a 2nd Brisbane club in Brisbane some 25 years after the Broncos were admitted?
Actually, it's easy to forget that for a very short period pre-super league wars, there was a 2nd Brisbane club, the Crushers.
They were an enormous failure on every level.

South Queensland Crushers was very poorly implemented. Wooden spoon in 2 of 3 seasons. Minimal crowds. Rushed into the League in 1995 with 4 other expansion clubs to provide 2 extra games for broadcaster Optus. Many Brisbane rugby league fans had their QRL team and then supported the Broncos in the ARL. And the Broncos were hugely competitive and only admitted 7 seasons prior to 1995.

There's a much bigger appetite right now for a second Brisbane team.

South Queensland Crushers was very poorly implemented. Wooden spoon in 2 of 3 seasons. Minimal crowds. Rushed into the League in 1995 with 4 other expansion clubs to provide 2 extra games for broadcaster Optus. Many Brisbane rugby league fans had their QRL team and then supported the Broncos in the ARL. And the Broncos were hugely competitive and only admitted 7 seasons prior to 1995.

There's a much bigger appetite right now for a second Brisbane team.
Is that because the Broncos are trash?

The NRL would blow itself up if it brought in that many expansion teams. All those new teams, the poor clubs who don't have massive league club (see; pokies) revenue and the severe stretching of talent (something I've seen a lot of NRL people mention) says to me that they'd stretch themselves past their limit.

Absolutely minimal impact.
The Broncos are one of the very few NRL clubs who operate anywhere near a middling AFL club, and that's because they are the only club in a League city.
I mean seriously, how pathetic is it that the NRL is still talking about a 2nd Brisbane club in Brisbane some 25 years after the Broncos were admitted?
Actually, it's easy to forget that for a very short period pre-super league wars, there was a 2nd Brisbane club, the Crushers.
They were an enormous failure on every level.

What’s the difference between that and a second Sydney AFL club taking 28 years in a city of 4, and more recently 5 million people?

yes Brisbane is a rugby league heartland but they also have a well supported local comp that people were invested in when the Broncos began.

the crushers greatest achievement was guest starring in an episode of relatively brief Channel 7 emergency services soap ‘Fire’ where a group of the main characters were caught in an hours long traffic jam along with the crushers team bus. Andy Anderson’s character Repo was allegedly a huge crushers fan.

Is that because the Broncos are trash?

Broncos have lost a bit of goodwill with Brisbane with SuperLeague and in the last two decades. Brisbane also wants another option and the time is right to introduce it. There are 2 or 3 bids in organisation at the moment. Need to have another (most likely 2nd NZ team) to go along with it to provide the extra game for the NRL.

Tell which club supports South Sydney? The Juniors are a club, but the support at the moment is going in the direction from South Sydney seniors to the Juniors.

Agreed that overall, revenue streams are not all direct, i.e., the leagues clubs of most footy clubs fund operations in excess of broadcast rights distributions.
Doesn’t James packer have a stake in south Sydney as well as crowe

Broncos have lost a bit of goodwill with Brisbane with SuperLeague and in the last two decades. Brisbane also wants another option and the time is right to introduce it. There are 2 or 3 bids in organisation at the moment. Need to have another (most likely 2nd NZ team) to go along with it to provide the extra game for the NRL.
I know there is a Perth syndicate that have been asking for a team for years butPeter 'Rugbaaa League' Vlandys keeps knocking it back.

Got the rectangle stadium now and I reckon there will be enough support for it in WA.

Last edited:
Nothing defensive about it.
55%-60% of all advertising revenue is from the NSW and QLD markets. NRL already dominate NSW. They just want more QLD eyeballs on TV for longer.

Surely all the people who are inclined to be Rugby League fans in NSW and QLD are already Rugby League fans and already watch the games.

Surely all the people who are inclined to be Rugby League fans in NSW and QLD are already Rugby League fans and already watch the games.
This is true.

The only place which might actually be able to add something to the populace and not be an embarrassment is Central Coast.

#BringsBackTheBears

Doesn’t James packer have a stake in south Sydney as well as crowe

Yes, Packer & Crowe each own 37.5% of the club through their holding company (50/50 share) Blackcourt League Investments.

Financial members own the remaining 25%.

If you're insinuating that Crown fund South Sydney, then you're right to a point. It's the company one of the majority owners predominantly makes his coin. The other is predominantly through film. It's not unlike Joe Gutnik ploughing $3m of his own money into the demons, just that Crowe and Packer and legitimate owners.

South Sydney District Rugby League Football Club is not funded by a Leagues Club like the others you mentioned. They don't have one for a start, and the Juniors - who the seniors used to go cap in hand to back in the 80s & 90s - are skint.

I know there is a Perth syndicate that have been asking for a team for years Peter 'Rugbaaa League' Vlandys keeps knocking it back.

Got the rectangle stadium now and I reckon there will be enough support for it in WA.

Talk has gone cold on Perth. I think it's Brisbane and NZ. Yes Perth will introduce new eyeballs, but so can NZ if they set up a team in Wellington or South Island

Yes, Packer & Crowe each own 37.5% of the club through their holding company (50/50 share) Blackcourt League Investments.

Financial members own the remaining 25%.

If you're insinuating that Crown fund South Sydney, then you're right to a point. It's the company one of the majority owners predominantly makes his coin. The other is predominantly through film. It's not unlike Joe Gutnik ploughing $3m of his own money into the demons, just that Crowe and Packer and legitimate owners.

South Sydney District Rugby League Football Club is not funded by a Leagues Club like the others you mentioned. They don't have one for a start, and the Juniors - who the seniors used to go cap in hand to back in the 80s & 90s - are skint.
Yeah understand what you’re saying mate my point was even with out a leagues club south Sydney have very deep pocketed majority owners there not exactly minnows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

World is shrinking and consumer loyalty is a very competitive business, every thing is more sophisticated , broad and demanding , less parochialism
AFL has enough headaches maintaining 18 teams to an acceptable competitive standard. Thoughts of expanding the league are ridiculous.

What’s the difference between that and a second Sydney AFL club taking 28 years in a city of 4, and more recently 5 million people?

Better comparison is "AFL heartland" cities Perth and Adelaide getting West Coast and the Crows then 8 and 6 years later being joined by Fremantle and the Power.

Short answer why Brisbane has 1 NRL team (which NRL/ARLC won't say out loud because it's too revelatory) is News Corp have owned the Broncos for decades and have been a major NRL media rights holder for decades. There won't be a second team as long as News Corp wants Brisbane all to itself. https://www.newscorpaustralia.com/brand/brisbane-broncos/

Last edited:
This is a slow burn at best. The AFL have strategically targeted the youth and bank on this equating to increased future attendance, membership, sponsorship and ratings. It's a high reward, low risk, patient method backed with big dollars which the NRL can not hope to match. AFL will continue to slowly monopolize the country but never to the point to when other codes and sports drop away completely.

All the numbers indicate that AFL will overtake the NRl in Queensland eventually but I think it'll take another generation of work before this is achieved. Talk of the NRL demise any time soon is just wishful thinking. There is just too much unfounded loyalty overlap to their state and the sport. Changing the culture is a long process but one that will happen.

the NRL's inablity to adapt and change with the times will be it undoing. Here in Sydney more and more young people are coming into AFL games for the swans then ever before.

Simple fact it mothers dont want there kids playing NRL for the same reason the rates of kids playing NFL has dropped so dramaticly with evidence about concussion.

NRL will still be around but it will make way for AFL and Soccer becuase its what the kids play now !

Because Aussie rules is so famously concussion-free

True enough that AFL has a disappointing record with concussion.

From what I often see and hear anecdotally, I think that mothers are seeing the deliberate collision of bodies in Rugby League as much more frightening that the accidental or coincidental head knocks which more typically occur in soccer and AFL. Every code has to seriously and relentlessly address head injuries but I think Rugby League has an extra element to deal with when front-on collisions are an integral part of the game and tackles over the shoulder are routine. To the eyes of a parent if looks pretty brutal and that brutality increases rapidly from under ten to under fifteen.

To maintain the number 1 ranking in QLD for the NRL is it about having another Brisbane team or improving the junior programme? To me long term growth is going to come from kids actually playing the sport and the AFL do a great job with that aspect of it. My son plays footy (AFL) as I migrated to QLD from VIC but i asked him today how many kids at his school (Western suburb of Bris) actually play league, he said not many and I do know for a fact a lot play soccer. To me this is where the NRLS problem lies whilst the parents may watch league on TV they are not letting the kids play. Parts of Ipswich would have high participation rates for NRL at junior level but i do wonder how much of this participation is influenced by a larger Pacific Islander population

The Pacific Islander juniors have been an issue for league for a long time; because of the nature of the sport, I'm not sure if there's actually a solution for them.

AR is also a contact sport, but its nature as a sport is that it's in the middle in terns of perceived danger. I dont think parents are totally against contact; but there are limits to how much danger you expose them to. So while AR might suffer a bit from contemporary understanding of head injuries, it won't be as much.

That being said, while participation is important, it's not everything. If it was then basketball and soccer would be huge here; but the national comps seem to go in and out of bankruptcy a fair bit.

The Pacific Islander juniors have been an issue for league for a long time; because of the nature of the sport, I'm not sure if there's actually a solution for them.

AR is also a contact sport, but its nature as a sport is that it's in the middle in terns of perceived danger. I dont think parents are totally against contact; but there are limits to how much danger you expose them to. So while AR might suffer a bit from contemporary understanding of head injuries, it won't be as much.

That being said, while participation is important, it's not everything. If it was then basketball and soccer would be huge here; but the national comps seem to go in and out of bankruptcy a fair bit.

Agreed. It is an issue seemingly spoken about in hushed tones. I think the Pacific Islander dilemma is such a thorny issue for NRL because it seems to edge disturbingly close to race as a factor. The reality is simply that islander boys are often just physically ideal in body shape, muscle mass and cultural immersion in the Rugby codes. The team list if any NRL club makes that pretty obvious.

But try telling that to the mother of an average 14 year old kid up against an islander kid who is half a foot taller and has twenty kilograms on him. I know of some parents who took their kids out of league the year after they faced teams made up of mostly islander kids.

While participation isn’t everything, it does tend to tie a person a little closer to the sport they played as they transition from participator to spectator.

You make great points I agree with them all, the first point is very interesting almost seems like this is where the future of NRLs demographic lies. I do think participation for AFL, NRL is hugely important as they are the 2 main professional sporting codes in the country, Cricket probably used to be up in that category with them but from my perspective it seems to have dropped right off just looking at crowds and maybe general interest and coinciding with this i couldn't name one kid in my kids age group that plays cricket. As for soccer and basketball i think they suffer from the fact that to go and see the absolute best of the best in those sports play you have to go overseas to watch or tune in at early hours of the morning, I do think that is why the local leagues do suffer as they are always perceived as being a much lower tier. Something AFL and NRL don't suffer from.

SMH S. Keoghan 20.5.21

Keoghan said

"[since 2001] netball has dropped from 4.5% participation- & a spot in Australia's top 10 sports- to just 2.8%...Go believes... the game [netball] is being threatened at the grassroots. ... [Female GR] Aussie Rules is growing...".

M. Go, Chair of Netball Australia, says female GR netball has been "losing out to soccer & 'AFLW'(sic)".

Go also said

"We don't want to lose that talent to other sports because some of the skills are transferrable, particularly a a young age".
(Because both AF & netball require constant use of one's hands, it could be inferred that Go sees AF as a bigger threat than soccer, to netballs' GR nos.).

Female GR AF is booming in Qld.- & it appears that in Qld. (& other States) it is getting many/most of its players from netball.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back