Preview AFL Round 15 - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, 7:40PM Saturday 6 July

Predict the margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone keeps talking about SJ being out, he wasn't there in Rd1 either.

Geelong seem to be able to cover big outs quite comfortably, we have depth which a lot of other clubs lack.

I don't think Bailey will play so it'll only be Hale and who ever else they chuck in the ruck. I think we need Vardy though, what's so bad about popping him up fwd with Hawk and popping Pods down back?
Why do we need Vardy? Why do we need Podsiadly back with Lonergan, Taylor and Mackie? Would be the tallest backline going around.

GeelongCats: It's a BIG week of Cats milestones! J Corey 300 official AFL games and @achristensen_28 50 games. #AFLCatsHawks

GeelongCats: Corey's 300 made up of 265 premiership matches, one state of origin match, 31 pre-season matches and two International Rules. #AFLCatsHawks

I disagree. The hawks were going better than the cats for the entire final series in '08. The cats looked average in the prelim against the dogs and that form continued into the gf. In contrast the hawks smashed the dogs and the saints in their 2 finals and were on a roll with no pressure or expectation.

Then why did:

1. Geelong beat St.Kilda by more than Hawthorn did - during the finals?
2. Geelong keep the Dogs to their lowest score of the year in the Prelim final?
3. Geelong have more inside 50s and more clearances in the Grand Final?

People love excuses. It's easier to say we had a bad finals series, or that winning every week was somehow bad (I love that one), the truth is we had a very bad day in front of goal. A couple of weaknesses in the team were brutally exposed. A couple of players choked horribly under pressure and Hawthorn took their chances. Simple as that.

Why do we need Vardy? Why do we need Podsiadly back with Lonergan, Taylor and Mackie? Would be the tallest backline going around.

He'd be rotated obviously, when those 3 go off. Or we could have 3 tall timbers up fwd. That could work well. Surely Gibson won't be 100% after that fall onto his neck either..

this w
If all Hawthorn supporters were like you there wouldn't be any problems at all between us. Feel free to contribute anytime you want. :thumbsu:
ttough game
we need run and strength and no rubbish

joel needs to turn it on, and focus otherwise rug will get into his headspace

He'd be rotated obviously, when those 3 go off. Or we could have 3 tall timbers up fwd. That could work well. Surely Gibson won't be 100% after that fall onto his neck either..
You want an even taller forward line against the team who transfers the ball from the back to the forward line better than any other?

Agree. Get Pods on Gibson and have him play the negating roll he has in the past preventing him third man up. Pods has a mental edge on Gibbo having monstered him in the past, let's exploit it again.

Well I don't know if we can beat Hawthorn with old-man Podsiadly running up and down the field, getting kicks in the back pocket and roving contests at half-forward. It greatly reduces his effectiveness with the ball and limits his greatest skill, which is contested marking (particularly with a run at it).

Also, we need to make Lake accountable, and to do that we need two genuine marking talls forward (but separated) at all times.

With Mackie, Lonergan and Taylor there, Hawthorn won't be able to use the high-ball so much entering 50 (I actually hope they try this again as I feel it often plays into our hands), we will still need a good balance of defensive smalls to cut down their run and carry and mid-sized defenders. So Guthrie, Josh Hunt, Enright and co. will all be required to be at the top of their games.

I hark back to Round 19 last year and just remember what an influence Stephenson and West had, and as such would love to see Simpson and West play. Also I believe our weakness in 2013 is ball-carrying players, so I would definitely be playing Caddy, Stringer and co.

Especially as Pods has as good a record against Hawthorn as anyone; we need him staying close to goal and providing a threat. Some nice delivery to both him and Hawkins would help too.

But we need speed at ground level. Hawthorn will slaughter us if they can run out of defence under no pressure. Their footskills are superb. We have to ensure the small forwards do their jobs just as much as the big guys.

You want an even taller forward line against the team who transfers the ball from the back to the forward line better than any other?

The reality is Podsiadly is probably going to have to go back at stages, much as I would prefer him upfront because he always worries Hawthorn and they are weak there. But this is one game we will probably need three key backs for and I don't see them playing Brown against Hawthorn (I wouldn't mind if we did, I just doubt it will happen). So bringing either West or Vardy in for Stringer makes sense because then you maintain at least 2 talls up front at all times, even when Pods is in the back half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lonergan will take Franklin as always.

Taylor will take Roughead.

Mackie will take Gunston (or similar).

Which means whenever they have Hale or another ruckman in the F50 Pods has to go back onto that player.

Personally I'd prefer West over Vardy but I'm not fussed either way. Both can really mark the ball in the forward line and exploit Hawthorn's weakness with tall defenders.

I don't see an issue with it, our small fwds will still be there. Motlop needs to have a cracker, he's been a bit off lately. I tell you who we don't need is fumbling Caddy. Bring in Smeds or GHS please.

I don't see an issue with it, our small fwds will still be there. Motlop needs to have a cracker, he's been a bit off lately. I tell you who we don't need is fumbling Caddy. Bring in Smeds or GHS please.

I agree with Caddy, he just isn't upto it yet but I loved his tackling and pressure on Saturday night, he gave our forward line a lot of energy. I'd bring Smedts in for him though and GHS for Murdoch if he is fit.

Are Hawthorn really in better form than us though? True, they've won more games than us, but look at who they've played compared to us thus far this year:

Geelong
Hawthorn (1st, 12 wins), Essendon (3rd, 10 wins), Sydney (4th, 9 wins), Fremantle (5th, 9 wins), Richmond (6th, 9 wins), Port Adelaide (7th, 8 wins), Collingwood (8th, 8 wins), Carlton (9th, 6 wins), North Melbourne (12th, 5 wins), Gold Coast (13th, 5 wins), Brisbane (14th, 4 wins), Western Bulldogs (16th, 3 wins), GWS (18th, 0 wins)

Our opponents have won a total of 88 games thus far this year, and have an average position of 8.9.

Hawthorn
Geelong (2nd, 11 wins), Sydney (4th, 9 wins), Fremantle (5th, 9 wins), Collingwood (8th, 8 wins), Carlton (9th, 6 wins) West Coast x2 (10th, 6 wins), Adelaide (11th, 6 wins), North Melbourne (12th, 5 wins), Gold Coast (13th, 5 wins), Brisbane (14th, 4 wins) Melbourne (17th, 2 wins), GWS (18th, 0 wins)

Their opponents have won a total of 77 games this year, and have an average position of 10.2.

We've also played everyone else in the top half of the ladder at least once this year. Hawthorn are still to play Essendon, Richmond and Port Adelaide.

Then why did:

1. Geelong beat St.Kilda by more than Hawthorn did - during the finals?
2. Geelong keep the Dogs to their lowest score of the year in the Prelim final?
3. Geelong have more inside 50s and more clearances in the Grand Final?

People love excuses. It's easier to say we had a bad finals series, or that winning every week was somehow bad (I love that one), the truth is we had a very bad day in front of goal. A couple of weaknesses in the team were brutally exposed. A couple of players choked horribly under pressure and Hawthorn took their chances. Simple as that.

1. You beat them by 4 more points that we did. Statistically insignificant. We probably ended our match against them as a contest earlier than you, though.

2. We beat the Dogs by a lot more than you. Our match against them was completely done well before half-time. The Dogs were still in it against you guys at 3 quarter time.

3. We completely dominated the second half of that match. Geelong didn't fire a shot in the final quarter, despite being within 3 goals. You dominated the second quarter but lost it on the scoreboard.

You were comfortably the best team of the 22 rounds of the Home and Away season. Comfortably. We were not as consistent, but on the whole, not that far behind. We were better in the finals. I don't know what caused Geelong to be below their best for that month. We were at our absolute apex of form, though, and it was enough to win the flag in the end.

1327253672_no-meme.jpg

Especially as Pods has as good a record against Hawthorn as anyone; we need him staying close to goal and providing a threat. Some nice delivery to both him and Hawkins would help too.
21 goals in 7 games. :)

Another tough game this week. Hawks are due for a loss so that bodes well for us. Can't see any changes required to the side this week from the one that played Freo. Let's hope our boys bring the same defensive pressure they played with last sat night. The only bummer is it's a Sat night game which means C7 will be broadcasting it so we'll all have to put up with the usual s**t calling from BT, Darcy, & Co.

T Hunt to Mitchell?

He usually does and it could happen again.

Depends whether Mitchell keeps playing HBF though as he has done recently.

If he starts in the middle, Poodle will take him.

Another tough game this week. Hawks are due for a loss so that bodes well for us. Can't see any changes required to the side this week from the one that played Freo. Let's hope our boys bring the same defensive pressure they played with last sat night. The only bummer is it's a Sat night game which means C7 will be broadcasting it so we'll all have to put up with the usual s**t calling from BT, Darcy, & Co.

I hate BT's annoying calling.

Murdoch probably didn't deserve to be picked in the first place but played well and will keep his spot.

The only possible change could be someone like Stringer out for Smedts, or a West or Vardy if they want to go extra tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back