Game Day AFL Round 22 - Match Preview Collingwood@Adelaide (Adelaide Oval – 4:35PM EST)

Remove this Banner Ad

In one of the most important rounds of the season for pretty much all the teams contending for a top eight spot, the Magpies-Crows clash shapes to be one of the most critical. For the Crows, lose this game, and their top eight spot is in jeopardy. For the Magpies, while they will play in September, lose this game, and top four hopes will be extinguished. Both teams have plenty to play for, making this game so enticing.

These two games last met in round three of 2018. This was the game that kickstarted the Magpie’s 2018 campaign, and for the Crows, it showed what was to come for the rest of the season. Stephenson and Grundy were best on for Collingwood.

Collingwood

While they aren’t in the best form, the Magpies are still managing to win games. Against the Demons, the Magpies were flat out awful in the first quarter, but in the middle quarters, they showed a resemblance to that risk taking football style seen in 2018. Mihocek was simply outstanding for Collingwood, while Treloar and Sidebottom were excellent in the midfield. While the middle quarters were very good, the first and last quarters were quite poor for the Magpies, being outscored five goals to one, preventing the match from being a much needed percentage booster.

A bad habit that Collingwood has picked up throughout the past month is their inability to be in front. In their past four games, they have only been in front for 43% of the time. While they are still able to get the win, as has been shown with the Bombers, it’s an unhealthy habit to have, and will be some sort of concern for Buckley. The Magpies have only made one change to the side this week, bringing in John Noble, who is replacing an injured Josh Daicos.

The man to watch this week is Jack Madgen. Madgen was serviceable for Collingwood last week. But the much maligned backman still had his poor moments, namely that missed tackle in the fourth, giving the Demons a goal. With Moore rumored to be coming back soon, Madgen will need to hold his own in the backline, while also taking the game on if he’s to maintain his spot in the side.

Adelaide

It’s been a frustrating season for Crows fans. Halfway through the season, it looked like the Crows had finally managed to recapture that form they had through 2017. However, losses to the like of Port Adelaide, the Bombers, and the Blues means that the Crows are now fighting for their spot in the top eight. While the Crows were gallant against the Eagles last week, they didn’t do quite enough to win last week. The Crouch brothers continued their excellence, while Rory Laird was also solid for the Crows. Walker however, continued to struggle, and despite kicking a couple of goals, did not have much influence on the game.

One area in which the Crows greatly struggle is their contested possession game, losing the count by an average of 11 possessions a games. In the modern game, this is a category they do not want to be consistently losing. On the bright side, the Crows are the most accurate goal scoring team in the competition, kicking at 55% conversion rate.

The man to watch is Darcy Fogarty. Fogarty received a lot of hype over the week, after kicking five goals against the Eagles. Standing at 6’3”, Fogarty will most likely receive the matchup of Howe, and if he’s able to negate Howe, while kicking a couple of goals, the Crows will most likely win.

Head to Head Odds

Magpies: $2.25
Crows: $1.65

Changes

Crows

IN

P.Seedsman, R.O'Brien

OUT

R.Atkins, A.Otten

Collingwood

IN

John Noble

OUT
Josh Daicos

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free
Live on Channel Seven, only in S.A.

Radio

MMM
3AW
ABC
SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL
Kayo Sports

The run home…

So, it’s the pointy end of the season, and it’s necessary to see what a loss or win means for Collingwood. The ladder predictor will assume that all the other favorites win.

If Collingwood wins...

Collingwood remains in fifth. Potentially fourth if the Tigers lose to the Eagles.

If Collingwood loses…
Collingwood goes to sixth

Tip

This is a tricky game to tip. If this were on at the MCG, the Magpies would most likely win. However, being at Adelaide Oval, and with the uninspiring inclusions for the Magpies, the Crows should win.

Crows by 18.

What a laugh this thread is, Adelaide are rubbish - Pies by 43
If your within 20 points either side of your prediction, I'll happily refer to you as guru from now on but as others have said, we have passed tipping point with injuries and suspensions. No chance.

Optimist in me says Collingwood will click into gear finally.

Pessimist in me says, this will be an ugly North like match.

Realist in me says Collingwood have only managed to beat Spooner's and second last with only really the Eagles 1 point win being the single positive for the second half of the season.

I'm a conservative (touch of pessimism!!) supporter at the best of times, but for some reason I'm feeling bullish about this one

Not thinking we'll click into gear yet, but still do enough to eke out a win in a tight tussle.

Pies by 13

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Optimist in me says Collingwood will click into gear finally.

Pessimist in me says, this will be an ugly North like match.

Realist in me says Collingwood have only managed to beat Spooner's and second last with only really the Eagles 1 point win being the single positive for the second half of the season.
Also the crows have lost against Eagles, Won against Saints, lost against Carlton and Essendon.

Positive vibes guys.

Hoping hard but can't see us getting closer than 4-5 goals with that side.

Really annoyed with injuries, suspensions and 'couldn't give a stuff' attitudes.

If your within 20 points either side of your prediction, I'll happily refer to you as guru from now on but as others have said, we have passed tipping point with injuries and suspensions. No chance.

We aren't really a much worse team on paper than we were in the GF.

Wills for Sier, pretty meh
Noble for Aish, also meh
Roughy/Shaz for Goldy/Langers is a net gain
Elliott offsets JDG slightly, but yeah this one hurts
Brown has been okay in Stevo's sted
Madgen probably couldn't go much worse up front than Cox was going

We aren't really a much worse team on paper than we were in the GF.

Wills for Sier, pretty meh
Noble for Aish, also meh
Roughy/Shaz for Goldy/Langers is a net gain
Elliott offsets JDG slightly, but yeah this one hurts
Brown has been okay in Stevo's sted
Madgen probably couldn't go much worse up front than Cox was going

I think you’re bang on personnel hasn’t been an issue in 2019. I’d argue that form is the bigger one with half of the team a shadow of 2018. Only Treloar, Greenwood and Mihocek have stepped up.

On this match in particular it’s a fantastic opportunity for us to get a feel for whether the club learned from the shemozzle that was GWS a month ago. They’ll attempt to double team Grundy and have 3-4 tall options at all times up forward. I’d use Roughie down back this week on Tex, Shaz to Jacobs, Madgen to Fogarty and Maynard to Lynch. The GWS game was lost in 20 minutes because their midfield cracked in for that first quarter. Match Adelaide’s intensity early and I guarantee a win because we’ll win the second half as our smalls work them over.

It’s a boom or bust strategy from the Crows, but they’ll give it a red hot crack!

Expect to have to sit back and absorb everything they've got in the first quarter before turning the tide. A bit similar to the Melbourne game, although we were unlucky not to kick a few goals in that game.

Intriguing on Roughead being named forward. I was sure he would play on Tex. Sticking to our guns but I guess we can always make the switch in game...... haha only joking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back