Game Day AFL Round 8 - Matchday Discussion Geelong@Collingwood(MCG – 3:20PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong and Collingwood collide in what will be a crucial match for both teams. Both of the sides come into this game with solid form, both teams winning their last game.

Collingwood

Collingwood managed to bounce back last week with a thrilling win over the Brisbane Lions. In what was described by many Collingwood fans as a potential danger game, the Lions took it right up to Collingwood, and almost managed to pinch the win. However, the Magpies showed true determination, and perhaps some maturing, to win a game they might have lost in previous years. De Goey had a welcome return to form kicking five goals in what turned out to be a match winning performance. The usual suspects in Sidebottom and Howe were also pivotal in guiding the Magpies. While the Magpies can enjoy the win, a crucial game beckons against the Cats. Collingwood has the edge over the Cats in recent games, with Collingwood beating Geelong in three of their past four games. Nathan Buckley’s reluctance to tag came up again last week with Dayne Zorko, who had been successfully tagged out of previous games, almost dragged the Lions over the line. It will be tricky to see Buckley not putting a tagger on one of the “big three” in Ablett, Dangerfield, or Selwood.

The man to watch for Collingwood is Daniel Wells. Wells is yet to play a game this season after an extended run with injury. Wells was signed by Collingwood to improve the dire skills for the Magpies, and his injury history has lead to criticism from football experts. However, whenever Wells is in the side, he is able to bring much needed skill to the team. His inclusion will only be a positive for Collingwood.

Geelong

It’s quite difficult to understand Geelong. At times, they’ve looked to be one of the top three contenders, but have then gone on to lose to sides like Hawthorn and an injured Swans side. Losses like these have made experts reluctant to rank this Geelong side in the top echelon of sides. While a win against Collingwood won’t improve some punters point of view, it will do no harm to their 2018 campaign. After squandering to Sydney at home, Geelong bounced back with a win over a wounded GWS side. The win was exactly what the Cats needed, as many began to doubt whether they had what it takes. For the Cats, the Magpies have been somewhat of a bogey side for them. Even though Geelong has been the better team over the past few years, Collingwood has always found a way to beat the Cats, causing some major upsets in the past.

Gary Ablett makes his return this week, and is the player to watch. After a sizzling start to the season, Ablett sustained an injury over in Perth, and has not played since. However, Ablett is one man who loves to play against the Magpies. Time and time again Ablett has produced brilliant performances against the Magpies, even when his team is not playing so well. His 50 disposal performance in a 97 point loss exemplifies this.

Head to Head Odds
Geelong: $1.65
Collingwood: $2.25

TV

Live on Channel 7
Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Radio

ABC
3AW
MMM
SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL

Tip

This one is tricky. Collingwood always seem to find a way to win over Geelong. But, Geelong are the superior side.

Cats by 12

50/50 Game Either team could win.?

Things I going to Look out For:

• How Moore goes and his Body Languange. Does he seem Happy,Sad,Angry
  • How we try and stop Duckwood without Greenwood
  • Can our Defense get Better then last week with getting Big Score Kicked against Him
  • Can Dunn not do a Stupid Thing like last 2 weeks by Gifting the Oppostion a Goal in 1st Qtr
  • Stepheneson
  • Can Grundy Dominate the real Lack of Cats True Ruckman

There have been times that Geelong has sucked me in... young Bobby Davis looking like a character from 'La Dolce Vita', Gary Ablett marking and kicking massive scores, and Bomber Thompson's whimsical reflections on the game. I can't hate Geelong like I hate Carlton, Richmond, Essendon and hipsters.

But beneath the Cats' cheesy smiles and sassy press conferences there is darkness. Dark Secrets of Harvest Home - off to the Western Districts in the Range Rover to sacrifice the innocent so the soil will remain fertile. This darkness oozes out of Gazza and Bomber. I suspect they made Faustian pacts for success. Joel Selwood can't hold his head high, ever. And Matthew Scarlett, you complete campaigner.

And on this darkness tomorrow shines the Goodness and Light of Collingwood!! And to indulge this enduring goodness, let us recall one of CFC's greatest moments - the 1953 premiership.

Collingwood 2.4 5.6 10.10 11.11 (77)
Geelong 2.3 3.9 5.11 8.17 (65)

Goals
Collingwood: Batchelor 4, R. Rose 3, Healey 2, L. Richards, M. Twomey.
Geelong: Davis 3, Rayson 2, Hovey, McMaster, Trezise.

Best
Collingwood: Healey, Mann, R. Richards, L. Richards, R. Rose, Merrett.
Geelong: B. Smith, Renfrey, Williams, Turner, McMaster, Davis.

Crowd: 89,060 at the MCG.

It's late and I have rambled enough.

Collingwood by 27 points!

Last edited:
Reckon Selwood and Ablett will torch us. We'll miss Langdon's intercept marking and get absolutely no return from Mayne. Tipping Pendles will miss and as a result, we will lack class through the middle.

I'm not sure about us yet. Some good signs but wins against Blues, Dons and Lions doesn't impress me.

Cats by 24.

Reckon Selwood and Ablett will torch us. We'll miss Langdon's intercept marking and get absolutely no return from Mayne. Tipping Pendles will miss and as a result, we will lack class through the middle.

I'm not sure about us yet. Some good signs but wins against Blues, Dons and Lions doesn't impress me.

Cats by 24.

I am not too Scared about Ablett. He is not the Player he use to be and Injury Prone.

Duckwood could have a Big Game IF Bucks does not Tag him like last week vs Zorko.

Good Point going by this Season we Only beat 1 good side in the Crows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good reviews.
I have very little faith in us winning this week.
Missing SSelwood & Parfitt, our best tacklers, and Ablett not fit, and ditto Taylor, I see us losing this by 23 points.
Plus I love watching young Stephenson. Loved him at ER. Varcoe looks fit again, Sidebottom, Grundy, De Goey, small forwards, Cox- I think too many in form for us tomorrow.
We are too unsettled.

HUGE game for our season. 5-3 after probably our toughest 3rd of the season would be an excellent result. With our injury list getting smaller as well, a win could really set up genuine push for finals.
Grundy is just about our most important player against the cats, as centre clearances wil win this game IMO. If we let them get clearances as easily as we let the lions mids last week we will be in trouble.

I'm tipping a physical contest with the Pies running away with it in the last by 26 points.

Another late night for me in Canada with work in the morning... Still haven't lost a game I've streamed live this season yet so lets hope that continues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back