AFL State of Origin - time to bring it back?

Should the AFL bring back state of origin?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No AFL player is gonna risk their bodily harm like the players from QLD and NSW did last night. Which is what made it such a great spectacle, those players put in the effort of their lives last night.

Besides it's a waste of time as neither WA, SA or Allies are anywhere close to being able to complete with Victoria.

I don't want it.

I have no affiliation to Victoria outside of being born and living here. I don't "support" Victoria, I support North Melbourne and that's all I care about, not some nothing state tournament.

I very much have an affiliation to WA but half the players I'd be expected to support would be eagles players. Nah, I have no interest in that.

(Ok the next few years might be ok since the eagles don't have any players good enough to make the state team)

I'm for it, showcase Australian football as the only true national sport. The reason it died off was because Victoria became too powerful. Therefore you do what they do in under 18s and have the following during the bye weekend:

Vic metro v Vic country
W.a v s.a
Nsw v qld

All 6 sides are stronger than the top AFL club side, there was a research done on it a few years ago using statistical data to prove this point. It sells the game nationally and we get to see the best of the best going at it. Year two the winner of s.a v w.a plays the winner of metro v country.

I very much have an affiliation to WA but half the players I'd be expected to support would be eagles players. Nah, I have no interest in that.

(Ok the next few years might be ok since the eagles don't have any players good enough to make the state team)
With all due respect, I think it’s a bit analogous to the little brother really really really caring about beating big brother, but big brother wins more often than not and doesn’t really GAF.

I'm for it, showcase Australian football as the only true national sport. The reason it died off was because Victoria became too powerful. Therefore you do what they do in under 18s and have the following during the bye weekend:

Vic metro v Vic country
W.a v s.a
Nsw v qld

All 6 sides are stronger than the top AFL club side, there was a research done on it a few years ago using statistical data to prove this point. It sells the game nationally and we get to see the best of the best going at it. Year two the winner of s.a v w.a plays the winner of metro v country.
Oh come on there is no way that NSW or QLD would have better talent than a top AFL team.

How much support would be lost by breaking Vic into Metro and Country?

Sure, it's probably needed to create games that are competitive, but...

Vic supporters have never been THAT into SOO, and this would make them even less so.

WA & SA fans would also probably lose some interest at only getting to play 'half' of the Vics (and the implicit acknowledgement that they couldn't compete with a combined Vic team ).

SOO isn't that strongly back to start with, and would be less so with this change.

Craig Lambert was very public on Twitter about bringing it back, making the point the AFLPA has made that the players want it. Keep in mind Lambert's recent past at club level it's a very interesting comment.

It could come back if the AFLPA use it as part of the CBA negotiations with the AFL. Throw in the next broadcast rights deal and suddenly the whole game changes.

I think State of Origin has a place. Mainly because with 18 teams and counting, the AFL has so many poor standard players playing each week, we are far away from ever seeing our game at its absolute best.

Just have one game per year late April/early May. Any player that makes themselves unavailable automatically misses the next round and pay the players well. Vic, SA, WA, Allies and change the fixture each year so every team plays each other home and away over a period of time. Allies take their home games around the country.

If we are to have it back, the Allies concept must die.

We are getting enough players from NSW, QLD, Tasmania and the NT for them to have their own teams in their own right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't worry. No one else cares about AFL SOO anyway. Rugby League have taken the concept beyond anything the AFL can muster.

Not really.

My ideal concept is a SOO National Carnival held the week after the AFL Grand Final with the final of it on NRL Grand Final day and up against it LIVE, every 2 years.

Division 1:

Victoria
Western Australia
South Australia
New South Wales

Division 2:

Queensland
Tasmania
Northern Territory
ACT

Bottom of Division 1 is relegated and top of Division 2 is promoted. Winners of the 2 Divisions play off for the National Championship. As I said to Craig Lambert on Twitter on Thursday, we have a national game. Let's showcase it.

Half the players would pull out due to "injury". Victoria might still be impressive, but WA and SA would quickly be reduced to some pretty ordinary players for what should be a showcase. The ones who did play would be going half-paced trying not to get injured. I don't think it would be very compelling, although I guess it could be high scoring.

I'd say there is more (but still slim) chance of some kind of All-Star exhibition game in a bye week between prelim and GF (as per NFL). The AFL could rotate it around the country.

If we are to have it back, the Allies concept must die.

We are getting enough players from NSW, QLD, Tasmania and the NT for them to have their own teams in their own right.
The one issue with that is either you have some weird seven-team round robin with multiple rounds which clubs will never agree to, or no winner.

Half the players would pull out due to "injury". Victoria might still be impressive, but WA and SA would quickly be reduced to some pretty ordinary players for what should be a showcase. The ones who did play would be going half-paced trying not to get injured. I don't think it would be very compelling, although I guess it could be high scoring.

I'd say there is more (but still slim) chance of some kind of All-Star exhibition game in a bye week between prelim and GF (as per NFL). The AFL could rotate it around the country.

Clubs will have no say. It would be a clause in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. If a player chooses to pull out, he misses Round 1 the following year.

Not really.

My ideal concept is a SOO National Carnival held the week after the AFL Grand Final with the final of it on NRL Grand Final day and up against it LIVE, every 2 years.

Division 1:

Victoria
Western Australia
South Australia
New South Wales

Division 2:

Queensland
Tasmania
Northern Territory
ACT

Bottom of Division 1 is relegated and top of Division 2 is promoted. Winners of the 2 Divisions play off for the National Championship. As I said to Craig Lambert on Twitter on Thursday, we have a national game. Let's showcase it.
I cannot see players wanting this. It eats into two weeks of their own holidays, for a start…

Don’t forget, we used to do something similar in the 70s, with the premiers of each comp playing against each other. It died for good reason.

Vic metro v Vic country
W.a v s.a
Nsw v qld

It died because players wouldn’t play it.

Unless they’re willing to do it and do it seriously, it’d just be a farce.

Whenever I look at 'dream' SOO teams, I always think...OK. now take out 6-10 random players and what would the team look like?....because that's a more realistic version of what would actually be put on the field.

States with less depth (or less 'motivating' match ups) would be particular hard hit.

Back