Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

reckon we’d chase tarryn thomas? bad blood exists between him & brett ratten, but would it be worth it. i think he’s a good player but it sets a bad image for the club to recruit someone who’s got that much baggage
Man utd might be interested
eth-dog ?

Also,.see no dickheads policy being discussed in the dodoro thread ;)

Man utd might be interested
eth-dog ?

Also,.see no dickheads policy being discussed in the dodoro thread ;)
Checks all the boxes. Except being right footed (Unlike Antony and Greenwood)

am not in the business of going we should have picked superstar x because he was available. I am rehashing the "mature aged barely going to make it" example that is there for all to see.

Ben Howlett probably the best mature ager, then Baguely then probably Hibberd we've had since 2010. Pretty inconspicuous group to be honest
Hibberd was AA …

Others not mentioned who were mature aged recruits since 2010: Walla, Martin, Durham, Snelling, Crameri, Ambrose, Guelfi, McKernan and M Brown. I'd say that group has done pretty well.

My frustrations during those really poor list management years was the re rookie listing of Dylan Clare, Marty Gleeson, Jake Long etc. Ones who had showed they were not going to be AFL players (Marty unlucky after ankle injury I suppose). And before its suggested it was due to salary cap restraints, why was there salary cap issues.
Those guys were moved to the rookie list to change a rookie pick into a ND pick. They were all contracted.

There weren't any salary cap issues. It was about improving our draft hand.
Ive criticised Dodoro for this as well. None of our early selections have turned into genuine stars. Heppell for a short period (drafted in '11, AA in '14) probably the only one, Hurley (drafted '08, AA 15, 17) the next best. The rest have all been what feels like good ordinary footballers.
[yeah, probably missed one in the first round but point remains]
How much of that has been development, injury management, and the saga? For example, I'd say Ryder was a star, just not with us due to the saga. Daniher the same (other than 2017).

How would Gumby have gone if not injured? Dempsey and Myers had years of hamstring injuries - how much did that hold them back?

As you mention, Heppell was AA very early on. Did he regress because it was always going to happen? Or because the whole team was weighed down with the saga, and then he hurt his foot?

McGrath was on track to be a top level inside midfielder, where frankly your kicking doesn't matter one whit. Then we moved him back. He's an above average back, but elsewhere he may have been a top level clearance player.

Parish is the 3rd best midfielder taken in his draft.

And sometimes, its just where the draft is. Melksham had a lot of upside but became a good footballer - but have a look at the next 6-7 picks!

We also just haven't had much cream of the crop. For a team who didn't finish higher than 8th from 2005-2022 (18 years), we've got five top 5 picks. Of which one we lucked out on Gumby, and Parish was about the best midfielder availabe in his (other than Dunkley taken ~20 picks later). Sure, across 18 years if 5 top is about right - if you also have a few top 4 finishes and maybe a premiership. For a team never finishing above 8th? Way too few.

and I'm pretty sure Hibberd wanted to stay, we just couldn't afford to keep him because of all the inflated contracts we gave to the drug saga guys.
No, we were awash with cash. The suspended year we didn't pay suspended players salaries, and the later legal settlement didn't come out of salary cap. So we saved a bundle. Hibberd just wanted out after Goodwin sweet talked him.

worst case if his kick's that bad he can just dish it off to ridley, can't recall many times he's missed a kick
You do realise (other) teams know to man up on the oppositions best kick in defence?

The weird reason being that he's always been a mediocre footballer that has managed to get 100+ games through his surname and Carlton being between average and crap whilst he's been there?

I think he plays a selfless team role, the poor bloke gets played all over the place more notably been played as a ruck in recent times. He has a bit of a Langford mould for me while not being as consistent. Deserves to be on a list somewhere when I look at some of the spuds I see on lists on nearly every team in the league.

No, we were awash with cash. The suspended year we didn't pay suspended players salaries, and the later legal settlement didn't come out of salary cap. So we saved a bundle. Hibberd just wanted out after Goodwin sweet talked him.

You do realise (other) teams know to man up on the oppositions best kick in defence?
im aware of this fact yes, just a thought i'd lighten up the mood

I think he plays a selfless team role, the poor bloke gets played all over the place more notably been played as a ruck in recent times. He has a bit of a Langford mould for me while not being as consistent. Deserves to be on a list somewhere when I look at some of the spuds I see on lists on nearly every team in the league.
He's been played all over because he does precisely nothing everywhere on the ground.

As far as a Langford comparison goes, Langers has shown ability to play in multiple positions of the ground to an AFL standard. He deserves to be playing EFNL for Norwood or South Croydon. If his name was Jack Smith, that's where he'd be.

What year did Daniel Coglan dominate finals and we thought we’d draft him and we ended up taking an unfit not afl ready or material McDonald-Tipungwuti.. that was the best vfl year in my memory (my memory is probably way off too)

What year did Daniel Coglan dominate finals and we thought we’d draft him and we ended up taking an unfit not afl ready or material McDonald-Tipungwuti.. that was the best vfl year in my memory (my memory is probably way off too)

Carlton are yet to resign silvagni and for some wierd reason there’s a chance he doesn’t get a contract. are you talking hypotheticals?
Yes a hypothetical. However they must be squeezed for $$$ with TDK signing on. Then you factor in team balance and McKay possibly becomes surplus. We had a go at him a couple of years ago. Just a hunch.

Yes a hypothetical. However they must be squeezed for $$$ with TDK signing on. Then you factor in team balance and McKay possibly becomes surplus. We had a go at him a couple of years ago. Just a hunch.
2 mckays......
Frustrated Fuck My Life GIF
angry the simpsons GIF
Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

wishlist post;

Retire: Heppell, Stewart,
Delist: Lord, McBride, Voss, Snelling, Montgomerie
Rookie: Hunter
Extend: Parish, Baldwin, Menzie, Mass, Bryan, Zerk, Flip, Tippa

Trade:
Shiel w/salary paid for a 2nd rounder
F1, Shiel 2nd & 3rd -> GCS for Alex Davies and 1st rd pick.

FA: McKay if we have to. but keep it to Band 2/3

Draft
GCS pick: Duursma
Our pick: Watson
Our 2nd: Reid, Freijah or Green - See needs for young options in all 3 positions. Maybe less on the ruck front with Draper and Bryan quite young & Flip going around. Can look at a young ruck next year.

Key Def: McKay, Zerk, Baldwin (fwd), Cox, Reid, Laverde, Hayes
Small-Med Def: Redman, Ridley, Kelly, McGrath, Hind, Mass (fwd)
Mids: Merrett, Parish, Hobbs, Setterfield, Caldwell, Davies, Tsatas, Martin, Durham
Key fwd: Wright, Langford, Jones, Weideman, Hunter (rookie)
Small-Med fwd: Stringer, Perkins (Mid), Guelfi, Davey x2, Menzie, Tex, Munkara (rookie), Duursma, Watson
Ruck: Draper, Bryan, Flip

Maxes our senior list out so no SSP and MSD would be dependent on LTI.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not really big on wish scenarios as they rarely work out but one issue we have that will not get resolved is Stringer.
With Langford now taking the medium forward spot and Jake not at his best and getting older he is the bloke we really do not need as such .
His spot needs to be a good KPF .

Last edited:
wishlist post;

Retire: Heppell, Stewart,
Delist: Lord, McBride, Voss, Snelling, Montgomerie
Rookie: Hunter
Extend: Parish, Baldwin, Menzie, Mass, Bryan, Zerk, Flip, Tippa

Trade:
Shiel w/salary paid for a 2nd rounder
F1, Shiel 2nd & 3rd -> GCS for Alex Davies and 1st rd pick.

FA: McKay if we have to. but keep it to Band 2/3

Draft
GCS pick: Duursma
Our pick: Watson
Our 2nd: Reid, Freijah or Green - See needs for young options in all 3 positions. Maybe less on the ruck front with Draper and Bryan quite young & Flip going around. Can look at a young ruck next year.

Key Def: McKay, Zerk, Baldwin (fwd), Cox, Reid, Laverde, Hayes
Small-Med Def: Redman, Ridley, Kelly, McGrath, Hind, Mass (fwd)
Mids: Merrett, Parish, Hobbs, Setterfield, Caldwell, Davies, Tsatas, Martin, Durham
Key fwd: Wright, Langford, Jones, Weideman, Hunter (rookie)
Small-Med fwd: Stringer, Perkins (Mid), Guelfi, Davey x2, Menzie, Tex, Munkara (rookie), Duursma, Watson
Ruck: Draper, Bryan, Flip

Maxes our senior list out so no SSP and MSD would be dependent on LTI.
was thinking on the loo last night if gc would take an experienced midfielder like parish, given that their midfield, while great, are still fairly young. upon reflection this morning though i think that swallow/miller/rowell & anderson are all performing amicably without someone else entering the fold

I am not really big on wish scenarios as they rarely work out but one issue we have that will not get resolved is Stringer.
With Langford now taking the medium forward spot and Jake not at his best and getting older he is the bloke we really do not need as such .
After one more game. For reasons 👀

i reckon we'll see transition mode kick in now.

If we can get Jones going and on the park, 2MP.+ Langford + Jones is pretty good.
As it is we have too many eggs in the wrong baskets
Stringer (form, durability, injury)
Jones (injury)
Hunter (rookie, injured)
Weideman (Impact)

That's 4 guys we need in now and none really available.

Problem is i don't see much decent availability out there

Surely there’s a team contending that would take a punt on him coming good again? Obviously the draft capital coming back wouldn’t be great. Maybe upgrade our 3rd to a 2nd

Surely there’s a team contending that would take a punt on him coming good again? Obviously the draft capital coming back wouldn’t be great. Maybe upgrade our 3rd to a 2nd
If there was I am not saying no but I suspect the club has other ideas and Jake doesn’t want to go so it is likely to remain an issue if he can not get back to some good form .

If there was I am not saying no but I suspect the club has other ideas and Jake doesn’t want to go so it is likely to remain an issue if he can not get back to some good form .
left field option - is he an impact sub?
play out 1.5 quarters and come on to throw his weight and talent around as the oppo taper off a bit, but not so late you don't get going.

left field option - is he an impact sub?
play out 1.5 quarters and come on to throw his weight and talent around as the oppo taper off a bit, but not so late you don't get going.
He either is a genuine X factor forward that can kick 40 plus goals and do some midfield work or he is no good to us .
We have to move past mediocre.
Wright needs a good KPF in the side to be effective. Langford is filling the medium spot and we need to have 3 small forwards.
Otherwise we are wasting our time .

He either is a genuine X factor forward that can kick 40 plus goals and do some midfield work or he is no good to us .
We have to move past mediocre.
Wright needs a good KPF in the side to be effective. Langford is filling the medium spot and we need to have 3 small forwards.
Otherwise we are wasting our time .
agree.
I can't see a decent gettable 2nd KPF out there though.
Unless Stringer gets to those levels and Langford can play taller than he is (i think he can, but as a 3rd tall he's going to be more damaging), as you say...what is Stringer's value to us.

Burst mid/fwd of the sub bench perhaps.

A JVR type - strong, athletic, mid 190s - would suit us imo.

agree.
I can't see a decent gettable 2nd KPF out there though.
Unless Stringer gets to those levels and Langford can play taller than he is (i think he can, but as a 3rd tall he's going to be more damaging), as you say...what is Stringer's value to us.

Burst mid/fwd of the sub bench perhaps.

A JVR type - strong, athletic, mid 190s - would suit us imo.
There probably is not the KPF we need . I am just looking forward. We are not going to challenge next year and we have limited moves we can make this year . Rock and a hard place .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back