Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting pretty toxic down at Arden st at the moment. Those entering their prime like LDU/Zurhaar/Larkey would be feeling sick to their stomach right now knowing they may well be stuck for their whole career in a puddle of mediocrity if they don’t jump ship (Zurhaar in particular having painted himself into a huge corner with his comments towards JHF when he leapt off the sinking ship).
I agree
However they also see Ben McKay
I think he would flourish under scott

I don't know how people don't have him in their top 10 key forwards. His hands, his ability to bring other forwards into play are elite, let alone the fact he's a consistent 40+ goal a year player.

He's significantly better than all three right now. JUH might pass him in the next few years but Naughton is a star.
"Top 10 key forward" doesn't really sound like a massive boast. There's only 18 clubs and not all of them are Geelong.

"Top 10 key forward" doesn't really sound like a massive boast. There's only 18 clubs and not all of them are Geelong.
He'd be fringe top 5 right now tbh. Hogan, Cameron and Curnow are probably the three best right now, and then the last two would be between McKay, Ben King, Larkey and Naughton.

Every conversation you have the posts end up moving. Read your own history.

And for the 500th time. He has been tried as a wing. He is no good at it. He is an inside ball hunter. Why would we want him on a wing if he can not play there ? Move on and find the next guy. There is also the fact he gets injured a lot. He simply is not an outside player and his skills are not good enough to play the role either. If he can not get in the midfield then he may go.

It really hasnt

I dont mind moving on from him, but for the club and his perspective to getting a more consistent game we lack depth on the wings which would give him his best opportunity

He may be a better onballer than winger, not saying he is or isnt as we havnt seen an extended wing run, but it is more benefical for him and the team going forward

It really hasnt

I dont mind moving on from him, but for the club and his perspective to getting a more consistent game we lack depth on the wings which would give him his best opportunity

He may be a better onballer than winger, not saying he is or isnt as we havnt seen an extended wing run, but it is more benefical for him and the team going forward
We have. At Carlton. He was shithouse. Which apparently everyone except you knows.

Good competition for spots.

Still few gaps. Lacking small fwd depth, a good key fwd and a match winner or two but good to have some options and be fairly injury free.

Hayes and Reid putting pressure on Laverde.

Caddy to pressure Jones.

Byran as a ruck option.

tsatas/shiel/setterfielf - mids.

2s might still be losing but seems we at least have some options to bring in if needed.
Its amazing what happens when you dont have 8 best 25 players injured each week

the 4 new recruits obviously helps but we have also lost Snelling, Zerk, Tippa and Massimo which is basically the 4 they sortve replaced

You mean the top 10 key forward in the game Aaron Naughton, yeah?
People also thought sending Martin to hb was insane. Look at them now.

WB are too tall with Naughton, JUH, Darcy and English, and they have a key defender issue. And Naughton happens to be an excellent contested mark who was originally a defender.

They're currently playing like crap and need a solution. There just happens to be a possible answer under their noses. Why not try it?

People also thought sending Martin to hb was insane. Look at them now.

WB are too tall with Naughton, JUH, Darcy and English, and they have a key defender issue. And Naughton happens to be an excellent contested mark who was originally a defender.

They're currently playing like crap and need a solution. There just happens to be a possible answer under their noses. Why not try it?
Are they? I don't think so. Their biggest issue is the lack of quality small forwards.

Aaron Naughton is a star key forward. Clear cut top 10 in the game. Right on the fringe of the top 5.

You don't move your best forward from the forward line because your defence isn't working.

Are they? I don't think so. Their biggest issue is the lack of quality small forwards.

Aaron Naughton is a star key forward. Clear cut top 10 in the game. Right on the fringe of the top 5.

You don't move your best forward from the forward line because your defence isn't working.
Why not try it? They're losing.
They can keep doing the same thing, where Naughton's influence in the forwardline is cancelled out by their leaky backline, or they can shuffle things around and roll the dice. While they're in a losing ladder position they literally have nothing else to lose.

That's not to say they don't have other needs, just to say they're in a position to find out more about their talls. I reckon they should.

Why not try it? They're losing.
They can keep doing the same thing, where Naughton's influence in the forwardline is cancelled out by their leaky backline, or they can shuffle things around and roll the dice. While they're in a losing ladder position they literally have nothing else to lose.

That's not to say they don't have other needs, just to say they're in a position to find out more about their talls. I reckon they should.
Because it's taking away their best forward who they've coincidentally built their forward line around.

It would be like us moving Langford to defence.

It really hasnt

We have. At Carlton. He was shithouse. Which apparently everyone except you knows.
I suspect that we will get to see it again this year if he gets fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how people don't have him in their top 10 key forwards. His hands, his ability to bring other forwards into play are elite, let alone the fact he's a consistent 40+ goal a year player.

He's significantly better than all three right now. JUH might pass him in the next few years but Naughton is a star.

I agree with your points but would still move Naughton back for the balance of the team as he is the natural fit for an All Australian CHB and you can cover losing him forward.

If I wanted to persist with Naughton forward (which is fine) I would seriously consider cashing Jamarr or Darcy in to fix the backline worries as I think the forward line can lose one of these three and still function.

I understand we will agree to disagree on this.

Its amazing what happens when you dont have 8 best 25 players injured each week

the 4 new recruits obviously helps but we have also lost Snelling, Zerk, Tippa and Massimo which is basically the 4 they sortve replaced

Yep

McKay>Zero
Gresham>Tippa (23 version)
Duursma>Snelling

Massimo I would have liked to keep although not fussed on losing him either.

Cox and duursma are our best 22 wingman. Heppel and Kelly rotate through there as well.

Martin when ridley returns to swing through hb/wing/hf as needed.

But duursma and cox both have the running capacity, marking capability and willingness to get back we need.

Wing is not a position of need to try to try and find a spot for setterfield

In Yesterdays team setterfield maybe takes hobbs spot.

Think it's good we have duurham, caldwell, setterfield and hobbs as inside mid options.

Striker - stringer, perkins, Martin?
Defensive - caldwell, setterfield, durham
Accumulators- parish, merret, tsatas?, shiel?
Inside - durham, setterfield, hobbs

Wing - Cox, duursma, kelly/heppel?, Martin (I like him at hb now he has improved aerially)

Think what we lack currently is a small fwd/pinch hit mid - picket, Cameron, tippa, Bolton, Rochelle, stengle, papely.

A small speedy fwd who you can put onto the ball for small bursts.
Duursma is injured for 6 weeks

Heppell is how old? Everyone on here wanted him gone 2 years ago

Setterfield as the sub, so not in the 22? So weve moved past him then?

Hobbs and Tsatas will be past him in another years time, he will be at the end of a big queue

The queue isnt as long on the wing

Cox can still move back, id say they have plans for that, but more flexability/depth on the wing allows that

Dont get me wront im happy to delist Setterfield

My original point is he is not in the best 22 midfield group now and for the foreseeable future and needs to develop another area to his game if he wants to play. Right now we lack in the wing department

Duursma is injured for 6 weeks

Heppell is how old? Everyone on here wanted him gone 2 years ago

Setterfield as the sub, so not in the 22? So weve moved past him then?

Hobbs and Tsatas will be past him in another years time, he will be at the end of a big queue

The queue isnt as long on the wing

Cox can still move back, id say they have plans for that, but more flexability/depth on the wing allows that

Dont get me wront im happy to delist Setterfield

My original point is he is not in the best 22 midfield group now and for the foreseeable future and needs to develop another area to his game if he wants to play. Right now we lack in the wing department

He’s literally been tried in all these other positions you keep talking about.

He was not good. He’s an inside midfielder, and yes he’s getting bypassed by younger players that are less injury prone.

I dont think Scott wouldve played him on the wing at times last year if he thought he was shithouse at it for our side

I dare say hes a more confident player now then when he was in and out constantly moved around at Carlton

He’s literally been tried in all these other positions you keep talking about.

He was not good. He’s an inside midfielder, and yes he’s getting bypassed by younger players that are less injury prone.
So you suggest just letting him rot away in the 2s for the rest of the year and then delist him

Instead of adding flexability to our squad?

Id rather try see if he can offer us something elsewhere where we lack and give us better knowledge on what to do with him end of this year and the rest if the squad

Last edited:
So you suggest just letting him rot away in the 2s for the rest of the year and then delist him

Instead of adding flexability to our squad?

‘Add flexibility’ by playing a guy who’s failed in every position except inside midfield in any position except inside midfield?

If he gets fit, plays inside midfield in the VFL until an injury or his form means he goes back to the AFL then is that a problem?

Like sure, shove him on a wing, but he almost certainly won’t be any better at it than he was at Carlton.

I agree with your points but would still move Naughton back for the balance of the team as he is the natural fit for an All Australian CHB and you can cover losing him forward.

If I wanted to persist with Naughton forward (which is fine) I would seriously consider cashing Jamarr or Darcy in to fix the backline worries as I think the forward line can lose one of these three and still function.

Teams, not Geelong are playing with more mobile "key" forwards, us included. Seems to be moving away from that double dipping on power forwards. Dogs could become a completely different beast with Jamara partnering Darcy and Jones/Naughton becoming one of the best double acts in the game.

Some people want to look at the here and now, the Dogs are 4 - 5. If things keep going the same, a wasted generation of some of the Dogs greatest will be lost. One simple change and they could become a completely different beast to come up against

I honestly don't mind Darcy going back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back