Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams dont always swap like for like as much as people like to believe this

Player capability is taken into consideration as is the entire mix
Yes, that's why Zurhaar doesn't come in. We run with two talls and two mediums most of the time, and that is borderline too tall nowadays let alone swapping in another medium for a small forward. Zurhaar is a medium who is inferior to the two medium forwards we already have on our list.

Yes, that's why Zurhaar doesn't come in. We run with two talls and two mediums most of the time, and that is borderline too tall nowadays let alone swapping in another medium for a small forward. Zurhaar is a medium who is inferior to the two medium forwards we already have on our list.
You miss the like for like part?

You miss the like for like part?
What you are saying is clearly absent of even a cursory analysis of our playing group.

The opposition is still able to waltz the ball out of defence far too often which indicates a lack of, or ineffectively applied defensive pressure in that part of the ground. Replacing a small forward with another medium is only going to make that worse.

It all strikes me as a tremendous waste of cap space when we have areas of more pressing need.

Teams dont always swap like for like as much as people like to believe this

Player capability is taken into consideration as is the entire mix
The problem is in our entire mix we're still bereft of a small forward at the level we need right now. Menzie is a bit of a plodder, ADJ is still developing and fades out too quickly, Tex is struggling to get his body right, Jayden will still take a bit of time yet, Gresh is great but plays more of a high half forward role. We need a small forward with good goal sense and defensive nous.

If we were a bit further along I might agree with you, but Zurhaar would replace Stringer. I agree though, it's not always like for like, which is why it will be Caddy replacing Stringer, not Zurhaar. I think that ship has sailed.

What you are saying is clearly absent of even a cursory analysis of our playing group.

The opposition is still able to waltz the ball out of defence far too often which indicates a lack of, or ineffectively applied defensive pressure in that part of the ground. Replacing a small forward with another medium is only going to make that worse.

It all strikes me as a tremendous waste of cap space when we have areas of more pressing need.
We need to rebalance or get better and upgrade the small forward contingent. Tex and Menzies are out of contract this year so fearing this clean out may start post season

Plus Stringer doesn’t really fit on the list (ducks) he’s worst of both worlds medium in a lot of ways. Too slow to pressure to small/weak to wrestle a contest against a top key defender.

So you’d just be spending huge coin to double down on a list issue

We need to rebalance or get better and upgrade the small forward contingent. Tex and Menzies are out of contract this year so fearing this clean out may start post season
Possibly, I don’t think it’s wise to cut too deep too fast or we’ll just end up with a couple of kids getting thrown to the wolves.

Getting the best available small forward with our first pick would be sensible imo, unless there’s someone available who we’d be negligent to pass on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They havnt been waltzing out this year

Zurhaar is hardly Joe Daniher/2MP

As much as defensive pressure may decrease, others areas significantly improve and out weight the totality of what Davey is offering right now imo

I also listed H.Jones, hes also a better player than Gresham

Fwiw im not advocating spending 750k on Zurhaar, im suggesting hes best 22 right now at Essendon

The problem is in our entire mix we're still bereft of a small forward at the level we need right now. Menzie is a bit of a plodder, ADJ is still developing and fades out too quickly, Tex is struggling to get his body right, Jayden will still take a bit of time yet, Gresh is great but plays more of a high half forward role. We need a small forward with good goal sense and defensive nous.

If we were a bit further along I might agree with you, but Zurhaar would replace Stringer. I agree though, it's not always like for like, which is why it will be Caddy replacing Stringer, not Zurhaar. I think that ship has sailed.
Yep small forward is priority

Stengle or Ainsworth and even then wouldnt rule out grabbing a quality one early in the draft if they deserve to be picked at that spot without reaching too much if its our 1st

Nabbing Stengle from Cats might make for interesting dynamic at the Scott family Christmas lunch.
Let me unlock this Scott brother conspiracy theory spanning Stengle (to Essendon) and Thomas (replacing Stengle at cattery):

1. Cats have expressed an interest in T Thomas (suspect it may be cooling) - widely reported
2. Brad came out & tries to soften the industry to giving TT another go (pre latest TT news)… - widely reported for its controversy.
Brad doing his brother a solid.

Add in Brad / Essendon trading pick 31 to the cats to move from 11 to 10 to nab a player cats didn’t want…
Solid 2.

Surely this was all quid pro quo from Brad because he’s stealing Stengle????

Stengle to Essendon - lock

Last edited:
I still think the pressing need for us is KPF, Wright & Jones aint gonna cut it come crouch finals. Caddy still likely 3-4 yrs off being a premium Fwd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back