Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Hately is playing well. Would not be at the top of my list but not something I would be totally against.

I am not trading Hobbs. We are starting to play a bit of hard edge footy and he is a hard edge player with some leadership.
I see that with Hobbs but unless he's playing inside mid I don't see where he is. His minutes there are limited now by others.

Maybe to keep an eye on should Bryan request a trade and Goldstein retire; or even one of both.

It will be more about Scott rating Bryan at the end of the year than Bryan requesting a trade. Nick may well ask for a trade but if the club feels he has a role to play going forward then they are not going to trade him unless the offer is too good to refuse.

I see that with Hobbs but unless he's playing inside mid I don't see where he is. His minutes there are limited now by others.
Did Archie look like he was going to push players out of the midfield last year ? Footy is a changing landscape. Young blokes get better at different roles. Cox finally mastered a way to play wing. Despite the decision making issues Hobbs has been solid in the physical contests being the extra at the contest.

Progression is not always linear. Hobbs showed when injuries hit he could step up last year and actually looked great at times.

The team has had a better run with injury and caldwell/durham have over taken him. However, i think he can work on his decision making and be valuable contributor. Don't think he will ever reach the heights of a no.1 inside mid on our list but he could grow into no.2 or 3rd best inside mid so still valuable.

Stick with him.

To be honest I doubted cox and Martin could ever develop enough toughness and aerial contest to play/roll back defensively.
Both shown great improvement.

Perkins - used to have rush of blood and try to do too much. Starting to lower the eyes, slow it down and pick best target.

Or even Durham having enough class and clean hands to be anything more than a huge effort and contest player. Leap durham has made has been his improvement just grabbing the ball at speed and class at the contest now. Used to tap it along and fumble, a bump would jolt it free.

So have faith, decision making might not ever be elite for hobbs but improvement his disposal speed and decision making will be noticeable soon.

Think biggest change we have made is addressing areas of weakness as a team and individually the right way.

Patience is sometimes needed. I think for 5 weeks I swore to myself everytime Martin went soft and 1 handed in a aerial contest. But since some poor efforts in the dogs game I haven't seen him do isince.

long novel but in summary still a bit of frustration to go at Hobbs but think other case studies have given me faith.

VFL watchers: would it be worth going for Hately?

Also, would anyone consider trading Hobbs for a draft pick to try to get Kako?
I do like the concept of drafting MSD from within.

Our MSD position won’t get us a very good opportunity to pick one of the highly rated younger players unfortunately. I’d be looking at a mature age player to help fill a role or to even help the vfl side, and become depth. McLennan would be playing afl for few sides atm. Kobe Ryan would be my pick but it seems like Adelaide will take him

If history is anything to go by half of the picks taken before us will be beanpole development talls so if we do want the smalls we might get who we want anyway.

North are apparently taking Jasper Scaife with pick 1, following on the raging success of the Jacob Edwards pick.

Nic Martin and a couple of first round picks
I was thinking the same.
There has been enough whispers Dons are in the frame to get Harley. But other than wait out many years, we would have to bring sometime big to the table to get him.
It's unlikely we will get 2 low first round picks anytime soon. So then looking at a Nic Martin trade, which is likely a first round and high 2nd. Maybe a straight swap all things considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about several 'former' top 5-6 picks?

Because between McGrath, Parish, Tsatas, Weideman, Setterfield that is quite ths selection.

If you're willing to expand it slightly further we get to talking Reid, Cox, Perkins, Heppell, Caddy, Wright.

A bountiful of riches.

Hi, unsure if this is the right thread for it, but the West Australian is reporting Essendon are interested in two WAFL players ahead of the MSD:

Waalitj Marawar (West Coast) have expressed interest in dual-Simpson medallist Milan Murdock as the in-form East Fremantle midfielder shoots into mid-season rookie draft calculations.

The West Australian understands Murdock, 23, has been sounded out by the Eagles through his club the Sharks, while he met with Essendon at the weekend ahead of the draft on May 29.

It comes fresh off his starring role for Western Australia in their 63-point loss to South Australia at Optus Stadium on Sunday.

Murdock was easily the best on ground for the Black Swans, winning the Simpson Medal after finishing with 27 disposals, five clearances and two goals.

The inside midfielder is ranked no.1 in the WAFL for tackles (10) and is averaging 25 disposals, 12 contested and 6.5 clearances for the reigning premiers.

Murdock had a breakout year in 2023, when the midfielder led the Sandover Medal count after the first five rounds with 11 votes before injuries restricted him in the second half of the season.

He then produced an incredible finals series including claiming the Simpson Medal in the grand final win over Peel Thunder, showcasing his versatility by playing as a small forward.
East Fremantle forward Jed Hagan had also garnered interest from the Bombers.

Hi, unsure if this is the right thread for it, but the West Australian is reporting Essendon are interested in two WAFL players ahead of the MSD:

Good move to stock up on West Aussies for the future Harley trade. Smart.

First Dutton and now Murdock. WTF is going on with the board?

Maybe to keep an eye on should Bryan request a trade and Goldstein retire; or even one of both.

His body is as bad as Scott Gumbleton’s back in the day. Bryan is going nowhere and Goldy easily has another year in him. I’d be looking at something next year if required and it won’t be an injury prone Preuss.

His worth is that high it really depends on what the club has

Could well be 3 top 10

Obviously 1, 2 and 15 vs 8,9 and 10 ect
I'd swap Perkins, Cox and Z Reid for Harley. Eagles wouldn't do it though.

It's not a slight on our three I just can't see Harley not winning several premierships wherever he plays. We could be talking about a 30 possession, 3 goal a game, 3 goal assist player here.

That trade value would be something like Zerrett, Parish plus N Martin.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back